Robbins to Vandy not a huge loss

longtimer

I'm sure he would have helped us next year, but really we are probably talking the difference between finishing 7th vs 10th? Just the reality of the program

Not going to lie here, getting Robbins gave me more optimism. Under Fran I truly believe he would have at been at least a 15 and 8 guy. Which is what you would likely got from Nunge. Lot of things still have to play out, but as of now, losing out on Robbins is a big loss.

It is a huge loss. He was by far the best 5 available IMO. But something about him is starting to feel off a bit.

Weird time for a "reality of the program" post. Not that I'm surprised. Not sure how "reality of the program" is finishing between 7th and 10th since we've only finished below 6th twice in the last 9 years.
Reality of the program is we just had the 4th season ever that Iowa started the season ranked and it ended up ranked. EVER. 4th time EVER.

It's literally never been as good as it is now for some time. That's the reality. Also the reality, Iowa has a lot to replace this coming season.

Last edited:
I'm sure he would have helped us next year, but really we are probably talking the difference between finishing 7th vs 10th? Just the reality of the program

Pretty big difference between finishing 7th and 10th, 7th is at least a bubble team while 10th is probably not even NIT bound.

Wow, he really must be close to his uncle.
Yea it's kind of weird that he keeps following his uncle everywhere. Vanderbilt will be lucky not to finish last in the SEC again. The move from Drake to Minnesota made sense because it was a jump up in competition and Minnesota isn't that far away. Transferring to a dreadful Vanderbilt team just because your uncle is going there is just...odd.

Would have been nice to get him...an experienced B1G center. That said, Mulvey's early entry helps and if the kid is that dependent on his Uncle...Iowa may not have been a good fit.

Is it really a loss if you never had the player on your roster? No one really knows how good of a player Josh O will be for the next four years or anyone else that may transfer in.

Is it really a loss if you never had the player on your roster? No one really knows how good of a player Josh O will be for the next four years or anyone else that may transfer in.

Josh O's development is a big wild card. If he gets on the Luka plan...maybe #23 can be a tough space-eater next season.

Is there really a Luka Plan that will work for everyone? I think the U has strength and training staff that should take care of that. Luka's story is amazing and the relationship with his father and his desire to improve are not franchised out to work for everyone.

Oh I think it's a pretty big swing and miss... He had 17 and 8 with 3 blocks kind of potential. Maybe more I dunno. We don't have anyone else in line ready to put up those kind of numbers do we? None that have shown it anyway. I mean it's a waste of time to cry over what was never ours but he'd have made a big difference. I can't find a way to short sell that

I'm not sure how it's considered a loss. He was never a part of the program or a piece to the recruiting puzzle, but rather a nice addition if we could land him. Sure he'd be a contributor and help us out, but how do you call something you never had a huge loss.

This move was proof he was never coming to Iowa to begin with. I am satisfied knowing that the Iowa staff at least reached out, despite likely knowing they really didn't have a shot to begin with.

Reality of the program is we just had the 4th season ever that Iowa started the season ranked and it ended up ranked. EVER. 4th time EVER.

It's literally never been as good as it is now for some time. That's the reality. Also the reality, Iowa has a lot to replace this coming season.
All that is great, even though for most Hawkeye fans, the season ended a few games early. But frankly, time marches on and if JoeW does as well, we have about 30 points a game returning for next season and really nobody that has shown they can carry a team with consistent scoring. Yes maybe our D will be better, but maybe not. With McCaffery continuing to strike out on his first choices in the the transfer market, it looks as though next season will be a major step downwards. Other teams in the B1G are improving and we are at best, standing still, and at worst, totally rebuilding.

All that is great, even though for most Hawkeye fans, the season ended a few games early. But frankly, time marches on and if JoeW does as well, we have about 30 points a game returning for next season and really nobody that has shown they can carry a team with consistent scoring. Yes maybe our D will be better, but maybe not. With McCaffery continuing to strike out on his first choices in the the transfer market, it looks as though next season will be a major step downwards. Other teams in the B1G are improving and we are at best, standing still, and at worst, totally rebuilding.
Striking out on a player who was never coming to Iowa to begin with? We didn't know what we had in Luka or any other stand out Fran has produced. When Luka was a freshman, the narrative was the the cupboard was completely bare. Iowa will have another player they build around and he's likely already on the team. I'm not saying it will produce better results, that's a different argument all together, but I'm not worried about having good players develop in a program that's clearly established that it can develop players.

Last edited:
I really don't get the decision though. I mean, with Iowa, the kid would have been stepping into a high visibility role, and with a good year or two, perhaps enhanced his professional interest- not saying that will not happen at Vandy, but I have to believe the B10 would have been a better platform. Wonder if it was a package deal similar to MN?

Latest posts