Rob Sand Wants Barta Out

The fans of Illinois don't blame Ron Guenther. They blame Tom Davis and his sidekick. One of which is pretty....greasy. The story line here is that Davis told Pearle to get Dion or leave before being asked to leave.

Truth is likely somewhere between IC and Urbana. We know what the situation in Champaign was as far as ethics. I doubt it's all made up though given the other side of the equation....BP

No, they hate Guenther for what he did to their football program.

No, they hate Guenther for what he did to their football program.
I live 12 miles straight line from Memorial. Guenther is a non issue. Lots of apathy though. Hating Guenther is like hating Mr Roger's. Zook and Turner were highly likeable as well.

Was a dark time with the Chancellor and President and almost losing the law school.

Mostly they are mad about the Chief and Iowa double standard on the marching band.

It's hard to address this without kicking it to the anything...almost goes. But I pretty much disagree, especially this part... you hear so many ex players of all race speak well of KF making them into the men they are. 14....14 players out of 1000's of players over his tenure say otherwise.

That is just wrong on so many levels. My feathers aren't ruffled, but it's just wrong.
We can agree to disagree. That's the great thing about this forum. You think I am wrong. I would disagree. I don't say KF is without fault. Any position of power and that is in the spotlight is going to likely receive criticism.

And sadly, you can have a career of doing everything right for decades, and one mistake can derail your legacy and be a smear on the whole career. So we agree to disagree. All good.

Well old hawk I completely disagree. I was born and lived in the great quanset huts of the day. I have seen awful Iowa athletics with many rotten coaches in many sports come through my university. At this moment in time I will take top programs in all 5 of the men sports I follow. The fact that both the Track and Field and Baseball programs are competing at a national level just has not happened before Barta and the 5 programs all at this level.......never. Say what you will about personalities, whatever, the performance has been on the field.
In terms if men’s sports, I’m only interested in the revenue generating ones. And those have been average for many years. And comparing to the old days and not wanting to reach the bottom of the barrel again is a complete losing process. You don’t just settle because it could be worse. Wrestling is top shelf and baseball is really what it’s always been despite the hype. One conference tournament championship several years ago followed by middle of the pack finishes before and since.

The fans of Illinois don't blame Ron Guenther. They blame Tom Davis and his sidekick. One of which is pretty....greasy. The story line here is that Davis told Pearle to get Dion or leave before being asked to leave.

Truth is likely somewhere between IC and Urbana. We know what the situation in Champaign was as far as ethics. I doubt it's all made up though given the other side of the equation....BP
Tom Davis wouldn’t fire his most oppressive enemy so there’s a hole in your story right there.

Tom Davis wouldn’t fire his most oppressive enemy so there’s a hole in your story right there.
I get it. Not my story. Just the talk around here...and/or lack of it...in enemy territory. Ron Guenther is not hated here. He just isn't...much at all. He came across as genuinely nice.

Whitman, who lives in my town, is keeping a lower and lower profile. My guess he wants to get the right people in place and put it on cruise control. Which likely will happen with some bumps on the way.

If there is anger it's at Mike Thomas but not a lot. Guenther hired likeable coaches. Whitman hires after Lovie are more edgy but they are moving in the rght diection.

Better competition for Iowa. Turner and Zook were genuinely nice people. I didn't know Krueger but had nice people around him and reflected Guenther.

Last edited:
Huh? No change till $$$$ stops coming... Not in near future. Trojans and Bruins have a Advertising base of 16 million people. Got Ecoast already. Now!!! Dance here. BTT only $$$. Coaches "task" Be 100% ON! for Dance.. And toughtest D for year. And 50/50 balls for Hawks only.... Hawk Players waay tough.
Slow Newsday! Go Hawks! And us fans huh? Includes MODS... Best. Happy Hour now!!!!

I'm probably going to ruffle some feathers, but I do not think KF is as guilty of this racial bias crap. Call me a KF apologist. I think moreover KF might be guilty of being more set in his ways. Staunch in his football theory, and how he runs a program.

While society changed and times have changed, KF stayed stuck in the 70's and 80's with not only his football philosophy but his way he was coached and how he coaches now (or did).

We all probably can agree that "you can't speak or say certain things (or joke) we used to. It can be perceived as insensitive or even biased or racial. The woke and snowflake agenda has taken over along with the cancel culture.

I know growing up in Iowa having coaches who would undress you with a verbal tirade or grab you by the facemask and get in your face. That doesn't fly anymore. Is it right or wrong? Me, personally, I think it made me better. I would not say it was abuse or whatever.

KF has acknowledged that he needs to be better and I think in some ways has admitted that he needs to change in some ways. He has to. Everyone has had to adjust. I think KF was slow to this because he is held in such high regard and with success and etc, nobody would challenge his methods.

I guarantee other programs had rules about appearance, conduct, and etc. The only difference was KF was slow to change and essentially got caught in the woke tidal wave. He was too late to change and this happened.

But racist, sorry, I just cannot buy into that. You hear so many ex players of all race speak well of KF making them into the men they are. 14....14 players out of 1000's of players over his tenure say otherwise.

The Bo Schembechler's, Lou Holtz's, and Kirk Ferentz's of the college football world became somewhat obsolete with their methods. Heck, could Hayden survive in today's world? Just my two cents.

Incredibly ignorant but not surprising

I'm probably going to ruffle some feathers, but I do not think KF is as guilty of this racial bias crap. Call me a KF apologist. I think moreover KF might be guilty of being more set in his ways. Staunch in his football theory, and how he runs a program.

While society changed and times have changed, KF stayed stuck in the 70's and 80's with not only his football philosophy but his way he was coached and how he coaches now (or did).

We all probably can agree that "you can't speak or say certain things (or joke) we used to. It can be perceived as insensitive or even biased or racial. The woke and snowflake agenda has taken over along with the cancel culture.

I know growing up in Iowa having coaches who would undress you with a verbal tirade or grab you by the facemask and get in your face. That doesn't fly anymore. Is it right or wrong? Me, personally, I think it made me better. I would not say it was abuse or whatever.

KF has acknowledged that he needs to be better and I think in some ways has admitted that he needs to change in some ways. He has to. Everyone has had to adjust. I think KF was slow to this because he is held in such high regard and with success and etc, nobody would challenge his methods.

I guarantee other programs had rules about appearance, conduct, and etc. The only difference was KF was slow to change and essentially got caught in the woke tidal wave. He was too late to change and this happened.

But racist, sorry, I just cannot buy into that. You hear so many ex players of all race speak well of KF making them into the men they are. 14....14 players out of 1000's of players over his tenure say otherwise.

The Bo Schembechler's, Lou Holtz's, and Kirk Ferentz's of the college football world became somewhat obsolete with their methods. Heck, could Hayden survive in today's world? Just my two cents.
Let's try to keep it to the lawsuit and related effects rather than trying to persuade on whether person XYZ is racist or not. At that point the shit slinging starts and then we end up having to nuke the thread to OT.

Kirk's excuse and defense for retaining Brian has always been, "HF didn't fire coaches and I'm not going to start." But Hayden Fry didn't have anyone that glaringly needed to be fired. If an AD had influence over hiring Kurt wouldn't be in that position to defend in the first place.
Hayden had a tree growing. Kirk's tree has no limbs.

Wilson shouldn't be able to refuse an interview on something like this. To do so only magnifies the fact that KF is the one in charge of the athletic department and that she has no intentions of confronting Kirk.
No. Her attorney told her how to respond. Right or wrong, that is how it works.

No. Her attorney told her how to respond. Right or wrong, that is how it works.
Hey, we attorneys get paid a lot of money to tell people not to do dumb things they should not do. What good could come of any interview right now if you are the Pres? Think Chad is going to lob softballs and applaud the school's handling of all this? She could only make things worse. Despite the grumbles and saberratttling amongst some corners of the Iowa family, the best way to make this thing go away is to do and say nothing. It will blow over as we all start to think about St. Patrick's Day, March Madness, Spring Planting, etc. Before we know it, a toe will meet leather and Gary Barta will be in a booth watching his boss call "Stretch Right Get Tackled In The Backfield From The Back Side End. On Two."

Wasn’t directed at you at all. You’re the only sane one here.
And my comment wasn't directed at you. I've moderated these boards for years. It ain't easy. You're doing it well.

I usually come in when I'm posting our content here. I try to engage when I can. But I shouldn't do it from anger or frustration.

Latest posts