Rob Sand Wants Barta Out

Barta was responsible to do the right thing regardless of the culture. He either ignored it or was a part of the culture.
I don't know whether Barta new the details of the racial issues in the football program or at what level. But, let's say that you are right and that he did and he was part of the culture. That is a problem and a plausible justification for removing him from his position.

What I am struggling with is that we are now on our 5th tier of posts on this topic, and a hefty number of posters seem to agree that Barta should be fired because of this lawsuit/settlement (combined with other lawsuits in the athletic department). But, I have yet to see one post that suggests that KF should be fired too under the same theory. How is that justifiable?

Whether Barta knew of, participated in, or covered up KF's alleged discriminatory culture, it was KF's alleged discriminatory culture!! That's like firing Penn State's AD because of that sick child molester Sandusky, but keeping Paterno as the head coach. Is that ok? Why? How?

I don't know whether Barta new the details of the racial issues in the football program or at what level. But, let's say that you are right and that he did and he was part of the culture. That is a problem and a plausible justification for removing him from his position.

What I am struggling with is that we are now on our 5th tier of posts on this topic, and a hefty number of posters seem to agree that Barta should be fired because of this lawsuit/settlement (combined with other lawsuits in the athletic department). But, I have yet to see one post that suggests that KF should be fired too under the same theory. How is that justifiable?

Whether Barta knew of, participated in, or covered up KF's alleged discriminatory culture, it was KF's alleged discriminatory culture!! That's like firing Penn State's AD because of that sick child molester Sandusky, but keeping Paterno as the head coach. Is that ok? Why? How?
For me, I was answering the discussion. Barta should go.

To be on record...which means nothing....the house should be cleared. KF should be gone

The bigger issue though is whoever allowed KF to have that kind of power. That begins with Barta and who knows up the chain. The more money one has the harder they hold onto it in general.

My guess is there is more behind the scenes with contract extensions.

That said, the monster of college athletics grew out of control. We see now a natural outcome.

It's easily justifiable. Ferentz is the de facto CEO. Barta is the de facto COO. Barta's job is to keep this shit at bay. Ferentz's job is to win football games, which is what is far and away the largest revenue driver for Iowa athletics. Ferentz is a producer, Barta is an administrator. The whole purpose of the administrators is to keep shit from hitting the fan or take the fall if it does. Companies have all kinds of producers who get all kinds of bullshit claims filed against them because people are candy assed snowflakes and they will sue even on bullshit because even a strike suit has significant value for the crooked ass lawyers who bring it. At the end of the day there are no shareholders to answer to so these people will all grift like hell and not give a shit because they ain't the one paying the claim if shit hits the fan. I probably don't agree with Rob Sand about much but he understands the normal state of affairs and wants a pound of flesh on behalf of the taxpayers and he understands the implications of erroneously firing ol ball coach "without cause" and how that could trigger a $20-30 million liability that would impair the University and potentially the state for years to come. You run Barta and you can buy out the rest of his contract for under 5% of what it cost to go after Kurt.

It's easily justifiable. Ferentz is the de facto CEO. Barta is the de facto COO. Barta's job is to keep this shit at bay. Ferentz's job is to win football games, which is what is far and away the largest revenue driver for Iowa athletics. Ferentz is a producer, Barta is an administrator. The whole purpose of the administrators is to keep shit from hitting the fan or take the fall if it does. Companies have all kinds of producers who get all kinds of bullshit claims filed against them because people are candy assed snowflakes and they will sue even on bullshit because even a strike suit has significant value for the crooked ass lawyers who bring it. At the end of the day there are no shareholders to answer to so these people will all grift like hell and not give a shit because they ain't the one paying the claim if shit hits the fan. I probably don't agree with Rob Sand about much but he understands the normal state of affairs and wants a pound of flesh on behalf of the taxpayers and he understands the implications of erroneously firing ol ball coach "without cause" and how that could trigger a $20-30 million liability that would impair the University and potentially the state for years to come. You run Barta and you can buy out the rest of his contract for under 5% of what it cost to go after Kurt.
Translation: KF is the wrongdoer, but he is too popular and/or contractually secure to go after, so we will scapegoat Barta and appease the villagers who are wielding torches and pitchforks. I can live with that as long as the people advocating for it are intellectually honest as to what they are doing.

I am just weary of folks ducking the real issue. What we hear is: BF is the problem with Iowa football. Barta is the problem. The conservative philosophy is the problem. Ungrateful ex players are the problem. The donor class is the problem. Yada yada yada.

If you want to draw a hub and spoke diagram the center of that mess is Kirk Ferentz. So, if we are going to accept KF as our HC then we have to accept all the bullshit he brings with him like a son calling plays and a boss that is not really his boss. Barta is not to blame for this lawsuit or settlement. Period.

And to be clear, I don't want KF fired and I am willing to live with his flaws. I sure as hell am not going to fabricate a grievance against someone other than KF to alleviate my discomfort with me wanting KF as my coach even though there is a lot about what he is doing that I disagree with. Strongly.

Yeah, if I was the Pres and all this was going on under my watch, I'd have some internal issues and worries going on about now, and about the right path forward. Tough one that has gotten out of control. Obviously no matter what, something needs put in place to ensure this extreme set of issues/problems cannot happen again. This includes the nepotism as well.

Translation: KF is the wrongdoer, but he is too popular and/or contractually secure to go after, so we will scapegoat Barta and appease the villagers who are wielding torches and pitchforks. I can live with that as long as the people advocating for it are intellectually honest as to what they are doing.

I am just weary of folks ducking the real issue. What we hear is: BF is the problem with Iowa football. Barta is the problem. The conservative philosophy is the problem. Ungrateful ex players are the problem. The donor class is the problem. Yada yada yada.

If you want to draw a hub and spoke diagram the center of that mess is Kirk Ferentz. So, if we are going to accept KF as our HC then we have to accept all the bullshit he brings with him like a son calling plays and a boss that is not really his boss. Barta is not to blame for this lawsuit or settlement. Period.

And to be clear, I don't want KF fired and I am willing to live with his flaws. I sure as hell am not going to fabricate a grievance against someone other than KF to alleviate my discomfort with me wanting KF as my coach even though there is a lot about what he is doing that I disagree with. Strongly.

I'd probably go back a step and say "sorry snowflake, there is no problem and there is no mess." You seem to understand that merely having a deep pocket makes an organization a target for unscrupulous lawyers. Sometimes people get sued over total bullshit.

I'm not a Barta fan and I wouldn't personally run him over this, but I get Sand's point.

You just ducked yourself. KF is the problem but it's OK. That is the problem in reality. No different than anyone else really. No one wants to stick out. If there is a problem it shouldn't be OK.

I'd probably go back a step and say "sorry snowflake, there is no problem and there is no mess." You seem to understand that merely having a deep pocket makes an organization a target for unscrupulous lawyers. Sometimes people get sued over total bullshit.

I'm not a Barta fan and I wouldn't personally run him over this, but I get Sand's point.
As long as you disclose it is hard to legally prove discrimination per the law even when it is obvious discrimination occurred due to antics of unscrupulous business/organization leaders.

I thought KF's statement following approval of the settlement was hilarious!
Now that it's over, and there's no threat of him or his son's depositions being released publicly, he declares that the Ferentz family wanted to fight all charges to the bitter end, with complete confidence of being either vindicated by summary judgment or at trial.
That really IS funny stuff! This settlement, without their names attached, is the best possible scenario for both he and Brian, and they both know it.
They remind me of a kid on the playground who avoids a fight at all costs until a teacher is close by, and then yells out "It's a good thing that teacher is here, or I would kick your ass!"
Yup! I agree. BB still to be played. Men and Women. Deep "runs" in the Big dance are the only thing others remember. Go Hawks. Tough they are....

Saw that Leistikow requested an interview with the president and she told him naw baby naw.... How trash is that??? If I'm the media I smell blood in the water here and keep the pressure on her. That's pretty damn bad. But it does kinda tell us where she stands on it all.

I thought KF's statement following approval of the settlement was hilarious!
Now that it's over, and there's no threat of him or his son's depositions being released publicly, he declares that the Ferentz family wanted to fight all charges to the bitter end, with complete confidence of being either vindicated by summary judgment or at trial.
That really IS funny stuff! This settlement, without their names attached, is the best possible scenario for both he and Brian, and they both know it.
They remind me of a kid on the playground who avoids a fight at all costs until a teacher is close by, and then yells out "It's a good thing that teacher is here, or I would kick your ass!"
His highly paid PR rep prolly gave him this script

Does this put pressure on the Pres. to clean all house now?
Huh? No change till $$$$ stops coming... Not in near future. Trojans and Bruins have a Advertising base of 16 million people. Got Ecoast already. Now!!! Dance here. BTT only $$$. Coaches "task" Be 100% ON! for Dance.. And toughtest D for year. And 50/50 balls for Hawks only.... Hawk Players waay tough.

I love this one from a State Senator:

"We've got a stench hanging over our great University. And it's called Gary Barta. We need to review the Regents budget and hold it until the stench is dismissed."

LOLS

Latest posts