Rob Howe's article on the UM game, Lickliter

storminspank

Justin VanLaere
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=8&f=1377&t=5545927

I hadn't read this until today. I think Rob brings up several good points.
Without quoting the entire article, here were some key nuggets:

Who else should be matched up with Sims? Good question. He’s probably going to torch just about everyone on the Iowa roster. But, for the love of Pete, please try something different. Sims is too big for Cole and Fuller and at least as quick as that Hawkeye duo. Freshman Brennan Cougill is no where near physical enough to defend Michigan’s inside force. Try Andrew Brommer to take a few fouls and get Sims off his game. Toss in a zone defense once in a while to invade his comfort zone.

Instead, the solution was to go small with John Lickliter playing an inexcusable 24 minutes and Cole sitting for all but 13. They don’t play the same position, but the coach’s son was in there tossing up bricks and passing the ball out of bounds with starting point guard Cully Payne moving to off guard.

If you sense it coming, adjust as best you can. When you see Sims dealing early, change something up. After witnessing what happened in Indianapolis in March, you need to have a Plan B. And if you think playing your son more minutes is part of Plan B, please go to Plan C. John Lickliter launched seven shots (six misses) and did not have one assist. He accounted for the third most field goal attempts on the team Saturday. Again, that was inexcusable, and we haven’t even mentioned him being a defensive liability.

I dont like how Lick throws his players under the bus using some sort of hybrid sarcasm. "I guess i didnt emphasize it enough in practice". Indirect comments like that serve no purpose. The players didnt play hard and made a lot of mistakes. It falls on the coaches and players. Seems like Lick always says the blame should fall on him but he says it in an insincere way and its pretty obvious he doesnt mean it.

I have a feeling this could all get very ugly if we dont show up on Wednesday

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=8&f=1377&t=5545927

I hadn't read this until today. I think Rob brings up several good points.
Without quoting the entire article, here were some key nuggets:

Who else should be matched up with Sims? Good question. He’s probably going to torch just about everyone on the Iowa roster. But, for the love of Pete, please try something different. Sims is too big for Cole and Fuller and at least as quick as that Hawkeye duo. Freshman Brennan Cougill is no where near physical enough to defend Michigan’s inside force. Try Andrew Brommer to take a few fouls and get Sims off his game. Toss in a zone defense once in a while to invade his comfort zone.

Instead, the solution was to go small with John Lickliter playing an inexcusable 24 minutes and Cole sitting for all but 13. They don’t play the same position, but the coach’s son was in there tossing up bricks and passing the ball out of bounds with starting point guard Cully Payne moving to off guard.

If you sense it coming, adjust as best you can. When you see Sims dealing early, change something up. After witnessing what happened in Indianapolis in March, you need to have a Plan B. And if you think playing your son more minutes is part of Plan B, please go to Plan C. John Lickliter launched seven shots (six misses) and did not have one assist. He accounted for the third most field goal attempts on the team Saturday. Again, that was inexcusable, and we haven’t even mentioned him being a defensive liability.

Also, i know Lick hates playing zone but isnt it worth a shot in some situations? At least for a couple possessions to get teams out of there comfort zone. Playing iowa is pretty easy - we play half court man to man and we are undersized. Not exactly a lot to game plan for there

Also, i know Lick hates playing zone but isnt it worth a shot in some situations? At least for a couple possessions to get teams out of there comfort zone. Playing iowa is pretty easy - we play half court man to man and we are undersized. Not exactly a lot to game plan for there

IMO the ZONE should be played more right now under the circumstances. It doesn't make sense that we don't do it more. Iowa is short-handed and have key players hurting.

Brommer is gone after this year. Payne is 50/50.

And just where did you come up with this? You say it like it's public knowledge. It never ceases to amaze me how some of you come up with some of the $#!?/ that you come up with!! Brommer probably hasn't contributed to the degree that even he would have liked, and maybe he won't be back, but to say it like it's God's lips to your ear is pretty low. And all Payne has done is play about 38 minutes a game for a full season and he's a freshman. Pretty good chance that he'll get a little better between now and next yr. Experience is a great teacher, and we just happen to have the youngest team in the Big 10.

I'm not real happy with our won - loss record this season, but the last thing you can fault this team for is effort! They're overmatched in about every game, but it seems like a little help is on the way. If we can somehow come up with a true point guard, we might just be on our way.

IMO, I doubt Cully goes anywhere... he is a starting PG in the Big 10. I'm not sure he would have that opportunity as a freshman at many other schools from a major conference.

Brommer has looked decent, the kid is not a big 10 starter but he could be a solid contributor if he sticks around. He is much more physical in just a year with limited PT.

You cant be sure of that. If he loses playing time to JL, he would have every reason to depart, as the coach will have lost his mind. Why would any player of superior ability stay when the coach obviously isnt making clear minded decisions.

i don't know if playing zone against a team that likes to shoot the the 3 ball would be a very good idea. zone may allow sims to explode as he could get looks from 3 and flash at the elbow for some easy jump shots.

bones - You may very well be correct, however, I think most fans are frustrated more at the fact that UM has taken it to the Hawks on more than 1 occasion now without so much as Iowa even trying to change it up. I'll be the first to admit that I was frustrated to see us stick with man-to-man the entire game instead of trying perhaps a triangle and two, or box and 1, or straight 2/3 zone....basically anything other than man just to see what happened as it really was going to get much worse in terms of Harris and Sims scoring almost at will.

I watch Crean and other coaches throw a zone out there for several possessions when they want to change the flow, or confuse an opponent who is getting too comfortable in their offense. I wish lick would try that. It just seems like he is determined to win his way,and only his way. And if we lose playing his way...so be it,he did not compromise his principles....when we are getting waxed, try something different...what is the risk?

Latest posts