Rob Howe was right

Losing to Iowa State and Minnesota are the reasons why people question the staff. You just don't lose to those teams. I'm sorry if that sounds arrogant, but Iowa State isn't a powerhouse and has a lower budget for football than Iowa does. Minnesota hasn't been decent since Mason fired and even then they never were great. In fact, they have hit depths they haven't seen in years, but have beaten Iowa two years in a row. This can't happen this far into the Ferentz era.

If you want to pay a coach as much as Ferentz makes, you beat the teams that your should more often than not.

Heck, they even almost lost to Indiana on the road if that WR would have caught the pass. Indiana was TERRIBLE that year too.

Last edited:
I see something different this season. The dink and dunk plays were not here that often under KOK. This is clearly part of the offense Texas ran.

I used to think Ferentz controlled the offense but either he changed his mindset to be like Texas, or Greg Davis IS in control.

This is about as bad as it's ever gotten on offense under Ferentz.

Bingo. You can't honestly tell me Greg Davis isn't bad. He's really bad. Sure, Texas won a national title, with Vince Young and a great group of receivers that can make a guy miss after a 3 yard pass. Iowa had, what 285 yards today? ISU was the better team, no doubt, but their defense is not THAT great. 285 yards off of 4 turnovers. Pathetic.

Yeah i just posted a similar thing in another thread.

Bad bad thing when I start to not get that bothered by losses to ISU

I see something different this season. The dink and dunk plays were not here that often under KOK. This is clearly part of the offense Texas ran.

I used to think Ferentz controlled the offense but either he changed his mindset to be like Texas, or Greg Davis IS in control.

This is about as bad as it's ever gotten on offense under Ferentz.
I'm willing to give them some time to work our the kinks with a new offense.

That said, Texas might have used the dink and dunk to much greater success because they had the athletes who could get free in open space. Right now we don't, so I don't see that ever working.

When JVB just checks down and throws to his outlet receiver running a 1 yard gain route with a defender blanketing him, it sort of annoys me a lot.

Losing to Iowa State and Minnesota are the reasons why people question the staff. You just don't lose to those teams. I'm sorry if that sounds arrogant, but Iowa State isn't a powerhouse and has a lower budget for football than Iowa does. Minnesota hasn't been decent since Mason fired and even then they never were great. In fact, they have hit depths they haven't seen in years, but have beaten Iowa two years in a row. This can't happen this far into the Ferentz era.

If you want to pay a coach as much as Ferentz makes, you beat the teams that your should more often than not.

Heck, they even almost lost to Indiana on the road if that WR would have caught the pass. Indiana was TERRIBLE that year too.

ISUs budget just got a 20 million per year boost. They are getting closer with the tv package Bowlbsy got the big 12.

"Man I cant wait for the 2016 season."
I'd start chanting " 4 more years, 4 more years", but my conservative side won't let me.

I'm willing to give them some time to work our the kinks with a new offense.

That said, Texas might have used the dink and dunk to much greater success because they had the athletes who could get free in open space. Right now we don't, so I don't see that ever working.

When JVB just checks down and throws to his outlet receiver running a 1 yard gain route with a defender blanketing him, it sort of annoys me a lot.

It annoys me a lot too. And Vandy is throwing that check down pass at 100 mph with no accurracy. Most times the outlet guy has to make a good to spectacular catch and then has no where to go with the ball. It is driving me nuts.

+1. And to make it worse - under the same coach we had now, Iowa was a Top 10 program from 2002-04, and didn't capitalize AT ALL on that momentum.. The program is not the same. Really disappointing that Iowa can't be more than a 6-7 win program given what was accomplished earlier in the previous decade. And this year, might only be 3-4 wins.

Maybe the "Lunatic Fringe" was on to something. Naw that was all just crazy talk by a bunch of Ferentz haters.

As a die hard Iowa fan it hurts to say this, but the reality is Iowa is no longer the dominate football program in the state ISU is, that was made clear today. If it were not for ISU's 3 TO's inside the red zone today, the only people left in Kinnick's seats in the 4th quarter would have been wearing cardinal and gold.

The decline of Iowa football continued on 9/8/2012 and it truly is a shame.

Last edited:
Greg Davis was not the answer. This offense is different and it stinks.

GD and KOK have something in common. They both run the predictable-easy-to-defend-offense that Kirk wants.

I predict a couple wins this year where our opponent scores on a fake punt/kick and KF screams at the refs: "THAT AIN'T FAIR! WE DON'T DO THAT STUFF SO WHY DO YOU ALLOW OUR RIVALS TO DO IT?!?"

Bingo. You can't honestly tell me Greg Davis isn't bad. He's really bad. Sure, Texas won a national title, with Vince Young and a great group of receivers that can make a guy miss after a 3 yard pass. Iowa had, what 285 yards today? ISU was the better team, no doubt, but their defense is not THAT great. 285 yards off of 4 turnovers. Pathetic.
So you're saying it really is more about the players making plays than it is about the plays being called. Iowa has no playmakers. The combination of bad luck with injuries and defections doesn't help.

So you're saying it really is more about the players making plays than it is about the plays being called. Iowa has no playmakers. The combination of bad luck with injuries and defections doesn't help.

doesn't matter what plays are called if the WR cannot catch the ball :mad:

There's no way a senior QB throws into the teeth of the D on first down when you're in FG range. Just inexcusable.

That was exactly what Vandy said in postgame. Said in that situation you either check down or chuck it away. That's not where you try to force the issue.

I find it both humorous and annoying to read how KF clearly has a hold of Greg Davis and his offense. What we're seeing is very similar to what GD ran at Texas, except down there they used more zone read.

If you honestly think this is the same offense that KOK ran, you really weren't paying attention when you were ******** for all those years.

Yeah this is a 180 from KOK...and I don't like it one bit...never thought I would say this....EVER...but I want KOK back...

What happened to rolling the QB out with the option of throwing to the tight end for 8 yards or the wide receiver behind him for 15 yards? Always had a lot of success with that but unless I was just more drunk than usual the past couple games, I haven't been noticing any of that. Usually one of the two are open and if both are covered, the QB can still usually get a couple yards on the ground.

Couldn't agree more. Maybe it's because I have a 3 week old kid, but i don't think that's TOTALLY it. I just don't expect very much out of KF anymore. I wasn't even that mad. Apathy is a mother ******.

Congrats on the new Hawkeye! He (or she) will quickly help you prioritize things!

Latest posts