Road Warriors

Just Ann Arbor for me. I've been trying to talk my dad into going to the new Gopher stadium, but he's not too enthused about the idea (money's tight, game is gonna be ugly, and it'll be freezing). I was saving up money for the trip to Madison next year, only to have realignment throw that out the window. But Camp Randall, The Shoe, and Happy Valley are the three I just have to see games in at some point.

Been to all the stadiums have a 15-10 record, but still need wins at NW and Penn St. Saw one of the great wins in Hawk history 29 years ago today, a 16-9 win in the "Black Helmet' game.

29 years ago I was 13 years old. Thus, I feel I should remember the "Black Helmet" game. But, I don't.

Can you refresh my memory? Thanks!

GO HAWKS!!

29 years ago I was 13 years old. Thus, I feel I should remember the "Black Helmet" game. But, I don't.

Can you refresh my memory? Thanks!

GO HAWKS!!

The Hawks played without any decals on their helmets against OSU in '91 in honor of the victims of the campus shooting.

The Hawks played without any decals on their helmets against OSU in '91 in honor of the victims of the campus shooting.

Ah, I do remember that event. Thanks. Forgot that we went without decals on helmets though. Was that a home game?

Team - # Games Attended - # Iowa Wins

Illinois - 3 - 2 (Beat "Juice")
Northwestern - 5 - 4 (lost once in a blizzard - mid-90s)
Minnesota (dome) - 2 - 2 (there for the goal-post debacle and high-pitched squeel,undefeated B10 Champions - Orange Bowl berth)
Michigan - 4 - 2 (this year, and "Jermelle Lewis runs wild" game)
Michigan State - 3 - 1 (last year - MCNUTT)
Wisconsin - 3 - 2

Indiana - 1 - 0 (Randle-El ran wild on us - we should have won)
Ohio St. - 2 - 0 (two blow-out losses - once we scored 35 unanswered in the 2nd half to cut lead to about 20 - Why can't we beat these guys?)
Penn St. - 1 - 0 (there for the only loss in the past 9 match-ups - darn!)
Purdue - 2 - 0 (should get that win in the next few years since they are now our protected rival)

Overall record: 13 wins - 13 losses.

***On a side note: I have been to EVERY game this year (home/away) and hope to complete the season. I have never done that before!

Go HAWKS!!

I was at the Northwestern blizzard game. There was roughly 6 inches of snow and ice on bleachers when we got into the stadium. That was the game Pat Fitzgerald broke his leg. It was a good game and a Hawkeye win.

I was at the Northwestern blizzard game. There was roughly 6 inches of snow and ice on bleachers when we got into the stadium. That was the game Pat Fitzgerald broke his leg. It was a good game and a Hawkeye win.

My Northwestern "snow" game was in 1995. We lost 31-20. I was in the Marching band and we were unable to march pre-game because the field needed to be cleared of snow. Instead, Hayden Fry came over to the stands and encouraged the band, and thanked us for making the trip. At halftime, as we lined-up on the sidelines, the NU students were pelting us with snowballs.

I do seem to recall another "blizzard" game at NU, but I was not in attendance. Year?

My Northwestern "snow" game was in 1995. We lost 31-20. I was in the Marching band and we were unable to march pre-game because the field needed to be cleared of snow. Instead, Hayden Fry came over to the stands and encouraged the band, and thanked us for making the trip. At halftime, as we lined-up on the sidelines, the NU students were pelting us with snowballs.

I do seem to recall another "blizzard" game at NU, but I was not in attendance. Year?

It would have been early 90s, like 91 or 92. I was pretty young, 10 or 11. May dad took our family of 5 and it snowed like crazy the entire Friday night before the game. We got to the stadium and it was still snowing, the wind was howling and there was 6 inches of snow on the bleachers. I remember waiting for the bus in one of the covered bus stops after the game. Very interesting family trip.

Been to them all several times including Lincoln. Have seen several victories in all except the Cornhuskers. During one period of time made all home and road games for 4 straight years traveling with the parents of a player.

P.S. Have seen two victories each in Columbus, Ann Arbor, and Happy Valley.

Been to them all several times including Lincoln. Have seen several victories in all except the Cornhuskers. During one period of time made all home and road games for 4 straight years traveling with the parents of a player.

P.S. Have seen two victories each in Columbus, Ann Arbor, and Happy Valley.

Awesome record of success for you! Not many have seen 2 victories at each of the Big 3 stadiums.

I have been to Lincoln three times, but none against Iowa. Looking forward to adding that to the list.

Awesome record of success for you! Not many have seen 2 victories at each of the Big 3 stadiums.

I have been to Lincoln three times, but none against Iowa. Looking forward to adding that to the list.

I consider myself fortunate. My Road Warrior days are pretty much behind me but they do provide a lifetime of great Hawk memories.

I, too, look forward to a seeing a V in Lincoln someday. I remember back when Hayden was coming aboard and one of the first trips to Lincoln he said he'd "have to get the baseball bat out to get the boys off the bus". He was highly undermanned in those days. If I remember correctly I think IM Hipp was Nebraska's highlight back and I think they put up 17 points before I even got seated for that game :)

Latest posts