star.gif

Matt Thomas
(Onalaska HS)
Onalaska, WI
6-4/175
06/16/2012
Iowa State
Who starts?

Not sure there bud. Hard to speculate. Pencil in Niang and Ejim. The other three I'm not sure. Possibilities?

Matt Thomas : Top 50 recruit - guard

Monte Morris: Top 100 recruit - Mr. Basketball Michigan - Point guard

Richard Amardi: JUCO transfer - Forward

Dustin Hogue: JUCO transfer - Forward

Sherron Dorsey Walker: Red-shirt freshman. Indiana, Michigan, Baylor, FSU, Minnesota, ISU, Iowa, VTech, Temple, Boston College were his major offers out of high school as you think that is so significant. Pretty impressive HL video:

Sherron Dorsey-Walker Highlights - YouTube

No need to bet it. I think he'll be in the 18 ballpark. Could be wrong. As for Gibson, I think Fred prefers to go small and have five players that stretch the floor. Gibson will be a good energy guy off the bench. Needs to improve and gain some confidence. If I had to guess Amardi or Dorsey-walker will play take the 5 spot and you have the other four correct. Amardi reminds me of a taller Ejim with more spring and explosiveness. Not as good of a shooter though. Fun debating with you all in good humor. Hawks should have a solid year looking forward to the game in Ames. Take care.

Not sure there bud. Hard to speculate. Pencil in Niang and Ejim. The other three I'm not sure. Possibilities?

Matt Thomas : Top 50 recruit - guard

Monte Morris: Top 100 recruit - Mr. Basketball Michigan - Point guard

Richard Amardi: JUCO transfer - Forward

Dustin Hogue: JUCO transfer - Forward

Sherron Dorsey Walker: Red-shirt freshman. Indiana, Michigan, Baylor, FSU, Minnesota, ISU, Iowa, VTech, Temple, Boston College were his major offers out of high school as you think that is so significant. Pretty impressive HL video:

Sherron Dorsey-Walker Highlights - YouTube

Highlight videos always look good, that is why I don't watch them, just a waste of time.

Here is the thing on Morris, I don't see him panning out...just my personal opinion...not many kids from Beecher have of late, maybe he breaks the trend.

Back to SDW...does he weigh more than 165 lbs now? He is a Doughboy and well, I think Nix is one of the most overrated Doughboys of late and Appling is beginning to find his way onto that list as well...very loose coaching staff from what I understand...Doughboys have been okay lately, better than Beecher, but that is not saying a whole lot.

Take the Mr. Basketball title here in Michigan and just pee on it, too many politics involved in this state for it to really matter. Remember Drew Neitzel was Mr. Basketball over two players that went on to play in the NBA...just sayin'.

ISU got the wrong PG from Michigan, the second best player in the state ended up at Michigan (PG Derrick Walton) and the best one (SG James Young) ended up at Kentucky. I guarantee both of those guys are better than Morris from day one.

Mr. Basketball used to mean something, but it is just a title anymore.

I will go bet you as well that Niang doesn't bump his ppg by 5 next season.

Highlight videos always look good, that is why I don't watch them, just a waste of time.

Here is the thing on Morris, I don't see him panning out...just my personal opinion...not many kids from Beecher have of late, maybe he breaks the trend.

Back to SDW...does he weigh more than 165 lbs now? He is a Doughboy and well, I think Nix is one of the most overrated Doughboys of late and Appling is beginning to find his way onto that list as well...very loose coaching staff from what I understand...Doughboys have been okay lately, better than Beecher, but that is not saying a whole lot.

Take the Mr. Basketball title here in Michigan and just pee on it, too many politics involved in this state for it to really matter. Remember Drew Neitzel was Mr. Basketball over two players that went on to play in the NBA...just sayin'.

ISU got the wrong PG from Michigan, the second best player in the state ended up at Michigan (PG Derrick Walton) and the best one (SG James Young) ended up at Kentucky. I guarantee both of those guys are better than Morris from day one.

Mr. Basketball used to mean something, but it is just a title anymore.

I will go bet you as well that Niang doesn't bump his ppg by 5 next season.

If the Mr. Basketball award was politics wouldn't that mean the kid staying in state and attending Michigan would get the edge? Or the kid attending powerhouse Kentucky? I'm extremely impressed with what I've seen of Morris and he is a winner and seems to have his head on his shoulders. Until you see how their game translates you just never know but I have a feeling he could be our best PG since Jamaal Tinsley. Time will tell... Sounds like you're from Michigan...

And yes SDW was very thin explaining the red-shirt. Not to mention we had all of those senior guards last year. I've heard he's put on some weight/muscle. His offer list speaks for itself. The talent is there. He and Thomas both seem to be great shooters and should fit in great in Fred's system.

If the Mr. Basketball award was politics wouldn't that mean the kid staying in state and attending Michigan would get the edge? Or the kid attending powerhouse Kentucky? I'm extremely impressed with what I've seen of Morris and he is a winner and seems to have his head on his shoulders. Until you see how their game translates you just never know but I have a feeling he could be our best PG since Jamaal Tinsley. Time will tell... Sounds like you're from Michigan...

I am from Michigan and am in HS coaching. The system is set up for whatever coach is on the All-State committee and who has the most pull. It is very political and has absolutely nothing to do with who is going where, has everything to do with who the coach knows best.
If he breaks the Beecher epic fail trend, good for him, but it is the same story for every one of them of late...awesome playing against Class C (2nd smallest class in Michigan) schools and getting awards, but can't play with the big boys.
Also out here, you are more prone to win Mr. Basketball if you win a state title...don't agree with it, but there is a trend there too.
Chris Douglass-Roberts wasn't a finalist and went on to Memphis and the NBA.

And yes SDW was very thin explaining the red-shirt. Not to mention we had all of those senior guards last year. I've heard he's put on some weight/muscle. His offer list speaks for itself. The talent is there. He and Thomas both seem to be great shooters and should fit in great in Fred's system.

I am not sure the offer list does speak for itself and this is not a knock on him either. Hear me out, if those schools made him their top priority do you think he still goes to ISU?
SDW has a chance to be good, probably the best Doughboy since DeShawn Sims, if he has a career comparable to Sims you have a heck of a player. From what I understand people love his game, but not his frame. I am not sure it turned teams off of him, but I don't know that he became a priority. He was a Top 100 player because he has shown athleticism and potential, he could become Clyburn if he gets stronger.

Please at least sit and think for a second before you write this stuff up. I have no clue what I'm talkng about? You buddy have absolutely zero clue! Let's compare year #1 for Niang to year #1 of your above players. Every player has a different story I'm aware of that. Different roles. Keep in mind Niang did not start until the first game of conference play. He averaged the fifth most minutes on ISU's roster at 25 minutes per game. His minutes and shot attempts will increase quite a bit next year.

Trey Burke: 14 ppg (freshman)/18.6 ppg (SO)
Russ Smith: 2 ppg (freshman)/11 ppg (SO)/18.7 ppg (JR)
Pierre Jackson: 13 ppg (JR)/ 19.7 ppg (SR) *JUCO transfer
DeShaun Thomas: 7.5 ppg (fresh)/ 16 ppg (SO)/ 19.8 (JR)
Erick Green: 2 ppg(fresh)/11 ppg (So)/ 15.6 ppg (JR)/ 25 ppg (SR)
Georges Niang: 12 ppg (Freshman)

So I guess my question is...what in the world is your point? When it comes to scoring alone Niang blew Smith's, Green's and Thomas' freshman years out of the water! He had a comparable year to maybe the games elite scorers in Burke and Jackson. Yes, you're right. I guess I'm crazy for thinking the kid can average 18-20 ppg. He will be an elite scorer in the game next year.

HAHAHA.....you are exactly what I am talking about when I constantly rip on DELUSIONAL ISU fan. I bet I could go over to Cyclonefanatic and even they wouldn't drink of your freaking kool aid. The sad thing is I like ISU, and I like Niang, and think he is a very good player. Yet idiots like you just pizz me off, in how completely delusional you are.

If you think Niang will be an elite score in the vein of those you have listed, then he will also be leaving for the NBA after next year. NOT GONNA HAPPEN. I will bet you anything you want that Niang won't hit 18 PPG, let alone the 20 PPG you included in your prediction (you set the low at 18, not me.)

So the question is what do you want to bet? I'm in for anything at all on this one:
-Money, I'm in
-self banning from this board, I'm in
-public humiliation of some sort, I'm in
-anything you can think of or name, I'm in

The simple fact is you are trying waaaaaayyyyyyy too hard, and at this point are only trolling. Yet I love to troll, trolls.....so prove me wrong, prove to me that you aren't a troll.....Please, oh please bet me a lot of money that Niang will AVG. 18 PPG!

I am from Michigan and am in HS coaching. The system is set up for whatever coach is on the All-State committee and who has the most pull. It is very political and has absolutely nothing to do with who is going where, has everything to do with who the coach knows best.
If he breaks the Beecher epic fail trend, good for him, but it is the same story for every one of them of late...awesome playing against Class C (2nd smallest class in Michigan) schools and getting awards, but can't play with the big boys.
Also out here, you are more prone to win Mr. Basketball if you win a state title...don't agree with it, but there is a trend there too.
Chris Douglass-Roberts wasn't a finalist and went on to Memphis and the NBA.

Thanks for the info I appreciate the inside perspective. There's been some impressive Mr. BBalls from Michigan so I like his chances for success. Appling, Nix, Wilson Chandler, Battier, Jason Richardson, Tolbert, Robert Traylor, Cweb, Glen Robinson. Some great ones. Hopefully he will follow in those footsteps. I agree Morris probably isn't more talented than the kid going to Kentucky but something is to be said of winning mutiple state titles as well. Agree 100% that there are politics involved. Very excited about him though. He and Gessell will have some good battles the next three years.

Thanks for the info I appreciate the inside perspective. There's been some impressive Mr. BBalls from Michigan so I like his chances for success. Appling, Nix, Wilson Chandler, Battier, Jason Richardson, Tolbert, Robert Traylor, Cweb, Glen Robinson. Some great ones. Hopefully he will follow in those footsteps. I agree Morris probably isn't more talented than the kid going to Kentucky but something is to be said of winning mutiple state titles as well. Agree 100% that there are politics involved. Very excited about him though. He and Gessell will have some good battles the next three years.

Don't get me started on Derrick Nix, he is not a good player, there is nothing to say he is, nothing. Glenn Robinson grew up in Gary, IN and was not a Mr. Basketball in Michigan. I am not sold on Appling at this point either, remember what I think of Doughboys. Sometimes going to a school like Pershing, it carries weight with their rich history of state titles.

As I said before of Morris, Class C school at Beecher, I know he has played in AAU with the big boys of high school, have to see it in college before I am convinced he has broken the bad Beecher run. Kelvin Torbert was an okay player until his Sr. year when he played well, a lot of fans wanted him to transfer early in his career, not a lot of love.

Your list is about 50% correct, you hit and missed on some players, but I like the effort...;)

On the inside info, it shouldn't be much of a secret. I know of a coach that got on the All-State board just so they could get their own kids on the All-State team weather they deserved it or not. I have seen it over and over and it sucks when you have to fight to get your kid on an All-State team over one of those coaches players, or your kid gets on a lower team because of it.

My wife and I coach Volleyball...the All-State rep for our Region and class is awesome and will put others ahead of her kids and that rep is at a private school as well, so it says a lot about her and getting public school kids on All-State teams. It is no different than trying to get kids noticed by colleges, if you don't know people then good luck, I have been trying for the last 8 years or so to establish relationships and get our kids looked at, it is tough.
We had the best kid in our conference two years ago and she barely made unanimous first-team in our league, but was 2nd team All-State without question. The kid that was voted best in our league got no post season awards, but went to a D1 school because her coach was close friends with her AAU coach and got her a scholarship. There are times when numbers don't lie and it was clear who the better player was, but sometimes it is just about relationships. I have seen multiple kids that were far better than the kid that went D1 that never sniffed an offer, just makes one sick to their stomach.

PM me if you want to discuss this further.

HAHAHA.....you are exactly what I am talking about when I constantly rip on DELUSIONAL ISU fan. I bet I could go over to Cyclonefanatic and even they wouldn't drink of your freaking kool aid. The sad thing is I like ISU, and I like Niang, and think he is a very good player. Yet idiots like you just pizz me off, in how completely delusional you are.

If you think Niang will be an elite score in the vein of those you have listed, then he will also be leaving for the NBA after next year. NOT GONNA HAPPEN. I will bet you anything you want that Niang won't hit 18 PPG, let alone the 20 PPG you included in your prediction (you set the low at 18, not me.)

So the question is what do you want to bet? I'm in for anything at all on this one:
-Money, I'm in
-self banning from this board, I'm in
-public humiliation of some sort, I'm in
-anything you can think of or name, I'm in

The simple fact is you are trying waaaaaayyyyyyy too hard, and at this point are only trolling. Yet I love to troll, trolls.....so prove me wrong, prove to me that you aren't a troll.....Please, oh please bet me a lot of money that Niang will AVG. 18 PPG!

Geez calm down over there. I'll tell you what...I'll gladly take that bet that Niang will increase his scoring average by six points from 12 to 18 if you take the same bet that Woodbury increases his by six from 4 to 10. We have a deal? Niang was the much better player in year one and I think he'll even improve more than Woodbury in year two. Isn't this how this debate kicked off anyhow. Who is the better player? I'm spotting you 8 points a game!

Don't get me started on Derrick Nix, he is not a good player, there is nothing to say he is, nothing. Glenn Robinson grew up in Gary, IN and was not a Mr. Basketball in Michigan. I am not sold on Appling at this point either, remember what I think of Doughboys. Sometimes going to a school like Pershing, it carries weight with their rich history of state titles.

As I said before of Morris, Class C school at Beecher, I know he has played in AAU with the big boys of high school, have to see it in college before I am convinced he has broken the bad Beecher run. Kelvin Torbert was an okay player until his Sr. year when he played well, a lot of fans wanted him to transfer early in his career, not a lot of love.

Your list is about 50% correct, you hit and missed on some players, but I like the effort...;)

On the inside info, it shouldn't be much of a secret. I know of a coach that got on the All-State board just so they could get their own kids on the All-State team weather they deserved it or not. I have seen it over and over and it sucks when you have to fight to get your kid on an All-State team over one of those coaches players, or your kid gets on a lower team because of it.

My wife and I coach Volleyball...the All-State rep for our Region and class is awesome and will put others ahead of her kids and that rep is at a private school as well, so it says a lot about her and getting public school kids on All-State teams. It is no different than trying to get kids noticed by colleges, if you don't know people then good luck, I have been trying for the last 8 years or so to establish relationships and get our kids looked at, it is tough.
We had the best kid in our conference two years ago and she barely made unanimous first-team in our league, but was 2nd team All-State without question. The kid that was voted best in our league got no post season awards, but went to a D1 school because her coach was close friends with her AAU coach and got her a scholarship. There are times when numbers don't lie and it was clear who the better player was, but sometimes it is just about relationships. I have seen multiple kids that were far better than the kid that went D1 that never sniffed an offer, just makes one sick to their stomach.

PM me if you want to discuss this further.

Sorry I read it wrong I meant Glenn Rice. Assuming both Nix and Appling are NBA draft picks (not sure if they will be or not) 17 of the last 33 Mr. basketballs in Michigan have been drafted to the NBA. Over 50% that's pretty incredible.

Mr. Basketball of Michigan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm sure that's extremely frustrating as a coach to deal with those politics and anyone who has ever competed at the HS level knows its prevelant. Interesting to hear your perspective though I enjoyed reading it. All I've ever heard about the Michigan recruit Walton is that UM offered both him and Morris and Walton committed first. Not sure if that's true or not just hear say. Last ISU recruit to come from Flint, MI was Jeff Grayer and he may be the best ISU player to ever wear the jersey. We're hopeful for more of the same.

Geez calm down over there. I'll tell you what...I'll gladly take that bet that Niang will increase his scoring average by six points from 12 to 18 if you take the same bet that Woodbury increases his by six from 4 to 10. We have a deal? Niang was the much better player in year one and I think he'll even improve more than Woodbury in year two. Isn't this how this debate kicked off anyhow. Who is the better player? I'm spotting you 8 points a game!

Why would I bet on Woodbury? I never talked about him, I never claimed he would up his AVG by 6 PPG. You were the one who made the prediction on Niang, not me. I have consistently said Niang is a good player, you on the other hand have made the assertion that he will be an elite scorer next year, and compared his numbers to the elite scorers this year.

That is the thing about ISU fan. It isn't enough to have a "good" player, ISU fan instead argues that Matt Thomas is the best 3 pt shooter in HS (yet shot 36% this year). Or in your case claim that Niang will be an "elite scorer" this year......you sound like duffermod saying Basabe will go pro his JR, because he has a good FR year......If he AVG. 18-20 pts he will be in the NBA draft after his So year. That AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN, so lets bet on it.

Sorry I read it wrong I meant Glenn Rice. Assuming both Nix and Appling are NBA draft picks (not sure if they will be or not) 17 of the last 33 Mr. basketballs in Michigan have been drafted to the NBA. Over 50% that's pretty incredible.

Mr. Basketball of Michigan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm sure that's extremely frustrating as a coach to deal with those politics and anyone who has ever competed at the HS level knows its prevelant. Interesting to hear your perspective though I enjoyed reading it. All I've ever heard about the Michigan recruit Walton is that UM offered both him and Morris and Walton committed first. Not sure if that's true or not just hear say. Last ISU recruit to come from Flint, MI was Jeff Grayer and he may be the best ISU player to ever wear the jersey. We're hopeful for more of the same.

Good stat, but I would guess in the last decade or so the percentage continues to drop.

Yeah, it is frustrating, winning in the post-season matters, but when you are in a district with the, I believe, six time state champ since 1999 and three state runner-up teams it can be difficult. Teams in our league win districts that at times, I have felt our bench could win especially when the team out of our league wins 5 matches in conference play and drops 9. Just depends on the luck of the draw.

Grayer was a heck of player, I remember watching him and liking him and hating him all at the same time, he was a special player. It was a good move to get him back at ISU to get the Michigan ties again. Michigan has began to dominate in-state recruiting with LaVall Jordan now on staff, guy has a great eye for talent.

I do feel Walton is the better player at this point, but time will tell, Walton is going into bit of a more ideal situation than Morris given the talent around him. That is not a knock on ISU, just a testament to what Michigan has returning even losing Burke/Hardaway.

Good stat, but I would guess in the last decade or so the percentage continues to drop.

Yeah, it is frustrating, winning in the post-season matters, but when you are in a district with the, I believe, six time state champ since 1999 and three state runner-up teams it can be difficult. Teams in our league win districts that at times, I have felt our bench could win especially when the team out of our league wins 5 matches in conference play and drops 9. Just depends on the luck of the draw.

Grayer was a heck of player, I remember watching him and liking him and hating him all at the same time, he was a special player. It was a good move to get him back at ISU to get the Michigan ties again. Michigan has began to dominate in-state recruiting with LaVall Jordan now on staff, guy has a great eye for talent.

I do feel Walton is the better player at this point, but time will tell, Walton is going into bit of a more ideal situation than Morris given the talent around him. That is not a knock on ISU, just a testament to what Michigan has returning even losing Burke/Hardaway.

Agreed Grayer was a great one. I'd group he, Hoiberg, Fizer and Tinsley as the best I've seen in Ames. Michigan comes to Ames early next year and there should be some great storylines. Maybe the best returning frontcourt in the Big Ten with Robinson and Mitch McG vs arguably the best returning front court in the Big 12 with Ejim and Niang. Throw in the two freshman PG's from Michigan it should be an intersting matchup. SDW as well. Michigan will be tough again next year but hard to come into Hilton and win. I agree as well that Michigan has things rolling. Basketball and football. Take care! Hope to talk to you later.

It made perfect sense to red shirt him. And unlike Thomas, I see a lot more skill in his game, that translates to the college level. I'd rather have him than Thomas. He remind me of Marble's high lights from high school.

Bold claim when watching a combined zero minutes of them play college basketball. ISU played multiple good defensive teams last year, it just didn't matter. The comments from ND before the game still amuse me to this day about slowing the Cyclones down.

Mid range is the worst shot you would ever want. The longer the two, the worse the shot it is. If you're going to shoot a step or two inside the 3 point line you might as well just shoot the 3.

Jok is not a post, he isn't going to pull bigs away from the hoop because they will be in there guarding White and Woodbury. I don't doubt that Jok is a good shooter but when your argument about why you want him over any players ISU recruited is because of his shooting, Matt Thomas is the most touted of both teams without question.

why don't you ask Michael Jordan what he thinks about your drivle

The mid range game gets to the FT line a lot more and that is problem for the other team.
Marble played 30 mins per game and shot 189 FTs. Ogelsby played 16 mins PG and shot 24 FTs. Besides the number of points scored, think of the effect all of those fouls that Marble drew, had on the opposing team's line up options.
It's also harder for opposing teams to take the 3 pt shot away from a player, if he has a mid range game and Jok can shoot the 3 (45 % or so this last season, IIRC).
I've had to guard both 3 pt specialists and players with a good mid range game. It was much easier to guard the 3 pt specialist. I didn't have to work nearly as hard on the defensive end.
Doesn't matter. It's just my opinion.

Shooting mid range jumpers does not get you to the freethrow line.

Aaron White and Marble dont get to the freethrow line by shooting mid range shots. They get to the line by driving to the basket.

Latest posts