Riley Till Put on Scholarship for Next Season

I'm happy for Riley, as we all are. But as an Iowa fan this says a lot about the current state of the program and lack of direction or creativity. We miss out on every transfer/grad transfer and don't even offer a JUCO player that winds up at Virginia, and our big coaching move involves hiring a video coordinator with no prior coaching experience.
Giving an open scholarship to a walk on happens everywhere. With so many transfers every year, it's tough to always end up with 13 guys.

Iowa awarded Darius Stokes with a scholarship for his redshirt junior year after he walked on. He then became a graduate transfer to Fairleigh Dickinson.

I think the argument would be using all the scholarships would give you more chances to find a quality player. Now that’s not always realistic giving all the three factors that are at play, but as I said banking one scholarship last year and likely two this year is not ideal.

Agreed, the more chances you have at hitting on a recruit the better. Banking one last year and what looks like 2 this year is definitely not ideal. That said, with the transfer market the way it is, I wonder if there is any data out there on what percentage of teams actually use their 13 scholarship allotment.

Iowa awarded Darius Stokes with a scholarship for his redshirt junior year after he walked on. He then became a graduate transfer to Fairleigh Dickinson.

It was fun watching Darius' reactions on the bench after a big play. I forgot he was on scholarship for a year before grad transferring out.

The guy is a good player. He knows the system so it should turn out to be a pretty good thing. Giving a guy that knows the system and is a good player ten minutes a game or so isn't a bad thing.

The guy is a good player. He knows the system so it should turn out to be a pretty good thing. Giving a guy that knows the system and is a good player ten minutes a game or so isn't a bad thing.

I was actually a bit surprised we didn't see more of him last year. He gave excellent minutes off the bench grabbing boards, putbacks, and providing solid D.

Good for Riley! Now...one thing I want you to do Riley...eat...eat...and eat. It's alot easier playing small forward in the big ten when you weight 220 or 225. The weight room is also your friend.

I'm happy for Riley, as we all are. But as an Iowa fan this says a lot about the current state of the program and lack of direction or creativity. We miss out on every transfer/grad transfer and don't even offer a JUCO player that winds up at Virginia, and our big coaching move involves hiring a video coordinator with no prior coaching experience.

The current state of the program is Iowa returns Jordan Bohannon, Luka Garza and Joe Wieskamp next season - as good of 3 pieces on one team as you're gonna find in the B1G. I do NOT understand this type of attitude. Iowa is still a very healthy basketball program. One that just won a game in the NCAA last season. One that's expected to go back to the dance THIS season.

Fran has been interviewing for the assistant position, he said so today on a radio interview- should make the hire next week. How in the world do you know who they are going to hire?

He's changed his stance on transfers and he was at least in the running for 3 of the best in the country, but when it's 1 guy vs a field of 350+ teams, you can't get on him too bad for "missing" on a transfer that a few weeks before wasn't even on his radar. The Juco kid wasn't interested in Iowa. It's not like he was and Iowa was like "nah we don't need ya"

Riley Till getting an open scholarship says absolutely nothing about the state of the Iowa program except for they reward players who work hard.

This is a good spin. After failing to use the scholarship for a recruit, he gives it to a worthy walk-on. Sends a good message to potential PWO's. But it still doesn't totally mask his failure to use the scholarship better.

The current state of the program is Iowa returns Jordan Bohannon, Luka Garza and Joe Wieskamp next season - as good of 3 pieces on one team as you're gonna find in the B1G. I do NOT understand this type of attitude. Iowa is still a very healthy basketball program. One that just won a game in the NCAA last season. One that's expected to go back to the dance THIS season.

Fran has been interviewing for the assistant position, he said so today on a radio interview- should make the hire next week. How in the world do you know who they are going to hire?

He's changed his stance on transfers and he was at least in the running for 3 of the best in the country, but when it's 1 guy vs a field of 350+ teams, you can't get on him too bad for "missing" on a transfer that a few weeks before wasn't even on his radar. The Juco kid wasn't interested in Iowa. It's not like he was and Iowa was like "nah we don't need ya"

Riley Till getting an open scholarship says absolutely nothing about the state of the Iowa program except for they reward players who work hard.
Seems like it's been a while since we've had a season-ending injury affect one of our higher scoring players. #NoJinx

latest

We sure have some 5 star spin masters here.

It is positive Fran reduced threats to his sons.

Whats next? Bill Self needing a lazy shootet?

Solid program that Iowa team.

This.

Basically it shows Fran whiffed on any available transfers so makes one wonder if he was ever really looking, Till is a fun team player who is more athletic than I thought. Good for him he deserves it. Lucky God is a big fan of the college game.

There's our Baer for next year. If he can shoot from the outside.

Obviously he would need to be game tested all the way around. He hasn't played a large amount of meaningful minutes to date. But he must be showing something everyday or Fran wouldn't have awarded the scholly nor would Tyler have commented the way he did.

Best wishes for him. Hopefully he has made B1G strides and be a great player for us.

Trying to optimistic.

This is great that Fran does this and in the long run may help Iowa keep landing good walk on's.

Not sure how to take this comment. You don’t want to make a habit of landing walk ons. This program needs to start landing legit point guards and until it does this program has reached its peak.

Just can’t comprehend the fan base mindset that accepts mediocrity from both major sports programs. The fan base has turned fickle and indifferent.

I do agree that if your going to have walk ons then the better they are the better off the team will be. I hope that was your point.