Rhodes acting like ISU had won the national championship.

I love Rhoads and I'm extremely thankful he's our coach. I agree that he's over the top. That's one of the things that is so endearing to me - he doesn't give a crap what anybody thinks and he just has a ball with it. It's a little much sometimes but I love it when he goes nuts. He's like your crazy drunk uncle at Christmas when he gets a big win. I don't know where this expectation comes from that coaches have to be stoic and cast in granite. He is pretty reserved during the game and you'd never see him melt down in somebody's face like Pelini or Brian Kelly. He just celebrates like a lot of people want to, and frankly, he's earned it.

Let's see what happens the rest of the season. Historically, ISU falls flat on its face after beating Iowa.

Remember 2002, Wallace was the leading contender for the Heisman after his performances against Iowa, Texas Tech & Nebraska. However, that ended very quickly against Oklahoma. He threw like six interceptions against the Sooners.

Iowa State ended up playing on the blue field. I watched the game pool-side in southern Florida with a beer in my hand.

ISU a magnet for hicks? Maybe you mean the hick NASA engineers....or maybe you mean the hick that invented the computer...or the hick that invented the fax...or that hick George Washington Carver...

I have degrees from Iowa and ISU and would have to say there are more hicks in Iowa City.

I don't know about this, but there are definitely more dirty hippies and trashy river town folk in Iowa City. I don't really enjoy any of the groups tbh.

I don't blame him for being happy. At least he had a gameplan for Iowa...can't say the same thing for KF and his staff.

Yeah, I'm sure Ferentz and their staff had absolutely no gameplan for ISU. They just went up there and told the guys just to go out and play and see what happens. We lost, let's move on.

Rhodes is just wired differently than KF and was overjoyed to get the win. No problem here with it.

Iowa State ended up playing on the blue field. I watched the game pool-side in southern Florida with a beer in my hand.

Total side-note, but I went to that bowl and I had an absolute blast. I was right by Sun Valley Idaho, and some other just huge mountains. I spent half a day on the bunny hill as I'd never done snow skiing or snowboarding before and then went down a 5000 foot mountain for my first experience ever. Would I have rather been in San Diego? Maybe, but I had a great time.

I'm guessing the OP wasn't at the game. It was a great environment and the fact that we won in 3 OT's, with so many big 3rd and 4th down plays makes the win huge, no matter who we were playing.

Than the sideline reporter asks about the death of his mom

Than he runs of the field and sees his dad and hugs him

Than he hugs his wife

Than the whole fan base is cheering for him and the big screen is on him and he went with it and pumped up the crowd. It was great and every Hawk fan around me even said how cool it was.

But since he is Rhoads and not Ferentz he is a "fool." Different ways to skin a cat and both are great coaches

Soon after Rhodes was hired I had a conversation with some other Hawk fans. We all pretty much agreed that he was a step up from the previous coaches. And that was bad for the Hawks.

He is not a great coach yet, but he is still building a program. Iowa State is his dream job. With that kind of passion for your team success will happen. Since he has been there they have beat Texas and Nebraska. And now they have a win against Iowa. In short don't underestimate this guy.

i love me some Coach Rhoads. hes exactly what ISU wants and needs. i wish him luck and he makes it easier for me to cheer for ISU. I also like how he took chances on some under-recruited iowa kids that are paying off.

But since he is Rhoads and not Ferentz he is a "fool." Different ways to skin a cat and both are great coaches

While I like Rhoads and think he will do well, I'm not ready to call him "great" just yet. Let's wait and see what else he can get done at ISU. He's done well so far, though.

Rhoads' post game antics were a bit overboard, but I can't fault the guy for pure emotion. If our coach showed a little more emotion I wouldn't mind. (I do like KF's business-like approach though.)

I've just watched a video of how the Iowa State head coach acted after the game. It reinforced the general feeling among Iowa fans that ISU is a magnet for hicks. I've got reservations about how Ferentz does not seem to emotionally engage with the team or fans, but the ISU coach is out of control. I hope the Hawks beat them 84-0 next year. Let's see how emotional he gets after that.

Losing hurts. Get over it. These threads make us look like such babies.

Ferentz cries with alarming frequency. What's up with that?

Soon after Rhodes was hired I had a conversation with some other Hawk fans. We all pretty much agreed that he was a step up from the previous coaches. And that was bad for the Hawks.

He is not a great coach yet, but he is still building a program. Iowa State is his dream job. With that kind of passion for your team success will happen. Since he has been there they have beat Texas and Nebraska. And now they have a win against Iowa. In short don't underestimate this guy.
ISU might be his "dream job" but if he is as good as some are saying, other schools will come calling. He would be a fool to stay at ISU if this happens. ISU has been proven to be a college football and in particular coaching graveyard. My advise to PR...if offered a better " dream job", ...take it as fast as you can.

Latest posts