Rhodes acting like ISU had won the national championship.

VHSHAWK

Banned
I've just watched a video of how the Iowa State head coach acted after the game. It reinforced the general feeling among Iowa fans that ISU is a magnet for hicks. I've got reservations about how Ferentz does not seem to emotionally engage with the team or fans, but the ISU coach is out of control. I hope the Hawks beat them 84-0 next year. Let's see how emotional he gets after that.

I've just watched a video of how the Iowa State head coach acted after the game. It reinforced the general feeling among Iowa fans that ISU is a magnet for hicks. I've got reservations about how Ferentz does not seem to emotionally engage with the team or fans, but the ISU coach is out of control. I hope the Hawks beat them 84-0 next year. Let's see how emotional he gets after that.

Rhoads is SO far from out of control. Out of control is Mike Stoops, or Bo Pelini. Rhoads is enthusiastic, but he's not living and dying on every play, every penalty/no-call.

It was a big win, I can't say I blame him for being fired up.

McCaffery is a lot like Rhoads in that sense. I suppose he's out of control, too.

This is spot on. ISU is definitely a magnet for hicks. We've had Stevie, Lamarcus, and Hayworth. There may even be more I'm forgetting.

Nice post.

Rhoads is SO far from out of control. Out of control is Mike Stoops, or Bo Pelini. Rhoads is enthusiastic, but he's not living and dying on every play, every penalty/no-call.

It was a big win, I can't say I blame him for being fired up.

McCaffery is a lot like Rhoads in that sense. I suppose he's out of control, too.

This is true. While I enjoy making fun of Rhoads' faux-billy accent, Dick Vermeil crying frequency, and overall tackiness, he's not 'out of control'. He's a little embarrassing, but in a rubish way and not a jerk way.

This is true. While I enjoy making fun of Rhoads' faux-billy accent, Dick Vermeil crying frequency, and overall tackiness, he's not 'out of control'. He's a little embarrassing, but in a rubish way and not a jerk way.

I agree with this. I'm more of a "act like you've been there before" kind of guy, and I was annoyed at first with CPR after the game. But he is who he is, and he's not a jerk.

I see nothing wrong with what he did after the game. He's excited. He's trying to build a program and generate excitement. He wasn't try to show anybody up or rub it in at all.

I do think his reaction and the ISU fans' reaction is a very telling sight of where this rivalry is. Rhodes & the fans were extremely excited, like you would get when something unexpected happens.

Iowa fans tend to act in a more relieved tone when the Hawkeyes beat ISU. Kind of that satisfied but worn look when you get home after a long day of work.

His passion is admirable, but he tends to go a little overboard, and reflects what I believe is a great deal of their fan base. They are starved for attention in Ames and they are worried about their future with their series with Iowa and their future in the Big 12. It was a nice win for them, but the circus act dance, fist bumps, and drooling in the crowd by Rhoads is over the top. I would have more respect for him too if he acted like he has been there before. But, he does seem more likeable compared to other coaches out there for sure.

Perhaps, they are so desperate to get out of the dumps, could explain the over-excited by Rhoads to get the ISU base excited. So, it is what it is I guess. At least he gets paid to do it I guess.

Last edited:
You just don't like it because you lost. ISU fans freakin love it! I think other people like it, too. ESPN comes to mind, since his postgame speech after Nebraska was included in the best moments of the last decade video...

This is his 1st head coaching job. I think it said he lost his mom this summer. Iowa guy, his first win in the biggest rivalry game of the year vs. the in-state rival. So I don't think he's ever been there before.

So, not sure why you would expect him to "act like he's been there before".

This is his 1st head coaching job. I think it said he lost his mom this summer. Iowa guy, his first win in the biggest rivalry game of the year vs. the in-state rival. So I don't think he's ever been there before.

So, not sure why you would expect him to "act like he's been there before".

Plus, it's just not in his personality to simply take it all in. He's not Ferentz, which for the ISU program is a good thing, because they really need the kind of energy that Rhoads brings. He's kind of a "working man's" coach. He's the kind of guy that you could see yourself sitting down and have a few beers with. Ferentz is like that. That's neither good nor bad, IMO. It's just different, and I happen to like it, because it's just different from what you see with college coaches around the country.

Rhodes is a fool. His coaching legacy will be built on beating a few good programs in down years, he'll never win a conference title.

I don't blame him for being happy. At least he had a gameplan for Iowa...can't say the same thing for KF and his staff.

I'm amazed by what some people complain about.

ISU a magnet for hicks? Maybe you mean the hick NASA engineers....or maybe you mean the hick that invented the computer...or the hick that invented the fax...or that hick George Washington Carver...

I have degrees from Iowa and ISU and would have to say there are more hicks in Iowa City.

I don't see what the problem is with him getting fired up? ISU beat what is generally a good football team. Do any of you remember when Kirk and the team finally got over the hump in 2001 and won their first B1G game? We all got it, ISU is a bottom feeder in the B12, but Rhoads is trying to change that and I have no problem with them celebrating a big win for their program. He is trying to change the culture for their football program. Stop having the little dick syndrome and accept that he is trying to develop another good football program in the state of Iowa. I agree that he can be cheesy at times, but that's who he is. Like stated before it's his first head coaching job at a place 10 miles from where he grew up. I'm fine with him being fired up.

Latest posts