Rhoads

I kid you not, but when I saw this around noon I text one of my Cyclone buddies. I said, "I was surprised Rhoads got fired before the end of the season". He replied with, "Not surprised. They want to lock up Bo Pelini before another school does."

And he's dead serious.

Can't laffy too loud....Iowa went through four coaches in 17 years in the 60s and 70s....then savior Hayden came-a-callin.

That was 38+ years ago... laffy away. Not to mention that before that 17 year slide we were pretty damn good too.

ISMoo has always been terrible...one of the most pathetic programs in history.

That was 38+ years ago... laffy away. Not to mention that before that 17 year slide we were pretty damn good too.

ISMoo has always been terrible...one of the most pathetic programs in history.
ISU is a coaching graveyard. Always has been, always will be.

Think about it. A year ago a lot of people wanted a new coach here after a 7-6 season. That would have been a banner year in Ames. Kind of says it all. 7 wins a great year in Ames, 8 wins expected at Iowa.

ISU is a coaching graveyard. Always has been, always will be.

I hope so because it's fun watching them suck. However, things can change with the right coaching hire. I'm glad Pollard is making the choice because he'll probably screw it up. I think there are some good options out there, but I'm not sure any of the options I would consider to be good would even be remotely interested in the monumental challenge that is turning around that shithole of a program.

Anytime you have a chance, you need to visit Jack Trice Stadium in Ames. Its one of the best places in the country to watch a college football game.

ok, I just read somewhere that Paul will still coach the next game. Does this make any sense??
Yes, because Pollard said in a radio interview following the Mangino firing that he doesn't like the idea of firing coaches during the season. So Rhoads isn't fired. He's just not coming back after the season. Or something like that.

I hope so because it's fun watching them suck. However, things can change with the right coaching hire. I'm glad Pollard is making the choice because he'll probably screw it up. I think there are some good options out there, but I'm not sure any of the options I would consider to be good would even be remotely interested in the monumental challenge that is turning around that shithole of a program.

Couldn't agree more. Probably need a "football guy" making the hire instead of a number cruncher. If Pollard is smart he should set his ego aside and get as much input from "football people" as he can possibly can get. It is a tricky hire.

Last edited:
I think the bowl committee should get together and have a game, kansas vs. north texas to decide once and for all who the worst team in D1 football is. I'm dead serious, I'd watch it. It would probably get more viewership than a 6-6 mac team vs. a 6-6 mountain west team.
This is just what we need. Cyfans will complain there's a conspiracy keeping them out of this game.

Couldn't agree more. Probably need a "football guy" making the hire instead of a number cruncher. If Pollard is smart he should set his ego aside and get as much input from "football people" as he can possibly can get. It is a tricky hire.

I think even Pollard would admit he got pretty lucky with the way the Hoiberg hire worked out. He gets credit for taking a chance on him.

I would hope he has done due diligence by talking to football minds about what type of system has the best chance of working in Ames. He's got such a big ego though. Wouldn't surprise me if he thinks he has all the knowledge he needs to make the decision himself.

DP5555;1468700 I would hope he has done due diligence by talking to football minds about [B said:
what type of system has the best chance of working in Ames.[/B] .
xwwKuKeuc-9ly3Kxuiek_3GHfXLl7ZDeCPLj4UVkiWtyk_koCv35_I96SVgaZNb-_HY=h1080

Last edited:
The way to win in the the Big 12 isn't to try to do what the "Big Boys" do, but with lesser talent. You do what Hayden did at Iowa. He knew he couldn't go toe to toe with Mich and OSU in the power run game, so he introduced the forward pass. Chuck Long became one of, if not the only player at the time, to pass for over 10,000 yds in a career and we ended up becoming the third best team in the B1G over Hayden's time. No one in their right mind would have predicted that in 1979.

With ISU, what they need to do is go to a power running game. It doesn't have to be a Navy triple option....but maybe an Alvarez-type offense. They're in the Midwest, so they can certainly get the type of Oline they'd need. And good running backs are a dime a dozen. But that'd at least give them some ball control on offense to limit possession time of the high powered offenses in the Big 12. But if they keep trying to go shotgun, spread, zone read...they're going to keep sucking.

Latest posts