Rhoads-zo the Clown

Fran's team have shown steady improvement, and that is reflected in the win/loss column. Rhoads teams haven't gotten noticeably better in any way, shape or form. At some point you have to win.
I guess you can make that argument, but are you saying that a coach shouldn't be passionate when they aren't very good, even if that is their personality? I think that Fran and Paul are great for college athletics.

Fran's team have shown steady improvement, and that is reflected in the win/loss column. Rhoads teams haven't gotten noticeably better in any way, shape or form. At some point you have to win.
Great minds not only think alike, they post at the same time.

I guess you can make that argument, but are you saying that a coach shouldn't be passionate when they aren't very good, even if that is their personality? I think that Fran and Paul are great for college athletics.

You guess? Coaching is a bottom line business, and that bottom line is winning games. Rhoads doesn't do that. There's nothing wrong with his personality; it's clearly endeared to the fan base and media, and you can never go wrong with the media on your side. But eventually you have to cut through all the bluster and BS and look at the results on the field/court/diamond/etc and judge a guy on his record. That clearly hasn't happened in Ames yet.

Fran's "antics" are very few and the guy is producing a winning product.
PW's antics are a weekly occurance and he is producing nothing but a sideshow.

I love one. The other one I am ambivalent about.

Maybe I'm the lone wolf here, but in basketball getting to the NCAA's is a product of winning.

You guess? Coaching is a bottom line business, and that bottom line is winning games. Rhoads doesn't do that. There's nothing wrong with his personality; it's clearly endeared to the fan base and media, and you can never go wrong with the media on your side. But eventually you have to cut through all the bluster and BS and look at the results on the field/court/diamond/etc and judge a guy on his record. That clearly hasn't happened in Ames yet.
I guess we differ in that it seems that plenty here have a problem with his personality. That is my point. So if Fran misses the tourney this year, he should stop freaking out because it is not working?

Cause Fran coaches OUR team...and is having real success. Question....answered
Agree with you on the first part. He is your coach and you should love him. But he hasn't really had big success at Iowa yet. The NIT is probably equivalent to a lower tier bowl game like Rhoads has achieved, no?

Agree with you on the first part. He is your coach and you should love him. But he hasn't really had big success at Iowa yet. The NIT is probably equivalent to a lower tier bowl game like Rhoads has achieved, no?

If were talking level of improvement year over year vs. The ratio of freak out...not really comparable.

I guess we differ in that it seems that plenty here have a problem with his personality. That is my point. So if Fran misses the tourney this year, he should stop freaking out because it is not working?

I don't think anyone has a "problem" with his personality. What most people have a "problem" with - and this is more of an ISU fan problem than anything else - is his lack of results on the field. Paul talks a big game in the media, and genuinely sounds like a guy who knows what he's talking about, but his team lose more than they win, and get blown out fairly regularly. His results don't match his mouth.

That's probably a fair comparison, the difference is that you can see (like in your mind) Fran's team making a big jump this year, and then sustaining that success. It's hard to see that with Rhoads.

I don't think anyone has a "problem" with his personality. What most people have a "problem" with - and this is more of an ISU fan problem than anything else - is his lack of results on the field. Paul talks a big game in the media, and genuinely sounds like a guy who knows what he's talking about, but his team lose more than they win, and get blown out fairly regularly. His results don't match his mouth.
We'll, there is the disconnect for me then. If it is an ISU problem, you couldn't tell from the action it gets here.
I know people here can and will spin it differently, but I see little difference in the two coaches' personality. Interestingly enough, I think Hoiberg and Ferentz are very similar, too.

When you have zero things to sell then you come up with gimmicks. One, Forward and next year; I know we sucked but believe in our nerd AD.

We'll, there is the disconnect for me then. If it is an ISU problem, you couldn't tell from the action it gets here.
I know people here can and will spin it differently, but I see little difference in the two coaches' personality. Interestingly enough, I think Hoiberg and Ferentz are very similar, too.

By ISU problem, I mean that you folks are believing in this guy, and buying tickets and merchandise and making a lot of noise, but to this point you haven't had a lot cheer about. You can't use "Forward" as a marketing slogan when your team is staring down the barrel of a 2 or 3 win season. What I'm saying is that from an outsiders perspective, you've (and I'm speaking of Cyclone fans in general) been sold a bill of goods and don't even know it.

You can say Rhoads and Fran are similar, but I don't see it. Yes, Fran can get fired up during a game. But the next time you see him pull a stunt like that after a tough loss will be the first.

I think for what he has to work with, Paul Rhoads does a good job at ISU. Their "talent" consists of a bunch of undersized players who would have trouble making a lot of D1 rosthers. They show up play hard and with enthusiasm.

LB George 6.2 @220
LB Knott 6.0 @ 216
RB Wemblery 5.9 @ 173
DB Richardson 5.7 @ 182

By ISU problem, I mean that you folks are believing in this guy, and buying tickets and merchandise and making a lot of noise, but to this point you haven't had a lot cheer about. You can't use "Forward" as a marketing slogan when your team is staring down the barrel of a 2 or 3 win season. What I'm saying is that from an outsiders perspective, you've (and I'm speaking of Cyclone fans in general) been sold a bill of goods and don't even know it.

You can say Rhoads and Fran are similar, but I don't see it. Yes, Fran can get fired up during a game. But the next time you see him pull a stunt like that after a tough loss will be the first.
Those are good points, but it is telling to me that the only people that don't like the guy are Hawk fans.

I don't dislike him either. In fact I like his enthusiasm. I am not a fan of the Clowns, but it doesn't translate to him as a person.