Revised 2011 predictions

Minnesota is still a win. Michigan a possible win because its in Kinnick. If Michigan State beats Nebraska, Iowa may have the last shot at keeping them from Indianapolis. And that isn't going to make that tough game any easier.

Iowa is inconsistant particularly when away from home. If Iowa was playing consistant Purdue could be considered a win, but we don't know who is going to show up. And given that Purdue isn't as bad as Minny or Indiana. Its a probable loss.

As of today I have us at 6-6 with the right to revise this

Don't go sticking your neck out like that!

What a gutsy call.

Rather than just going with a right to revise it would be safer to say a range, like 5-7 to 7-5 with a right to revise. When you stick your neck out, that's when it gets cut off.

Whew! I need to sit and sip some cocoa to calm down after that bold prediction.

I have several rules of football prognostication I would like to invoke:

Rule 1: Never pick Iowa to go a full season without pulling an upset.
Rule 2: Never underestimate MSU's propensity for *****ing the bed.
Rule 3: Never overestimate Denard Robinson's ability in a pro-style set.
Rule 4: Never pick Iowa to not lay an egg down the stretch (esp. at Purdue).
Rule 5: It's VERY hard to win at Memorial Stadium.

Minnesota=W, Michigan=W, Michigan State=W, Purdue=L, Nebraska=L; 8-4.

What can I say? I've come to expect the bass-ackwards out of the University of Iowa's Fighting Ferentzes.

If Iowa goes 6-6 there is a very good chance they end up in Detroit for a bowl game because the Big Ten is only getting 1 team in the BCS

Rose: Wisconsin
Cap One: MSU
Outback: Mich
Gator: Nebraska
Insight: Penn St
Meineke Car Care: Illinois
Ticket City: Ohio State
Pizza Bowl: Iowa

Everyone except OSU (I think they will get to 6 wins) and Iowa will have 7 wins so they have to be picked before 6 win teams, that means Iowa and OSU fill the last 2 spots since there aren't any 7 win teams left and the ticket city bowl picks first and would take OSU over Iowa.

A win over Indiana this week didn't change my season prediction as I had this one as a W.

I'm at 7-5 or 8-4 territory, predicting the following:

W @Minnesota
Split Michigan/MSU
50/50 @Purdue
L @ Nebraska

To me it really depends on the Purdue game, but I wouldn't too be shocked to see us win both games at home against MSU & Michigan and lose on the road at Purdue & Nebraska.

For the record, Purdue beating Illinois doesn't make Purdue an unwinnable game the way I see it. I never was sold on Illinois' 6-0 start.. The truth is starting to surface a little bit there IMO.

Wow - I was going to post these exact same sentiments last night, but chickened out cuz I thought I would be blasted.

I've enjoyed watching this team try to find ways to win - I think they are working hard and making baby steps in the right direction - but that said, after next week the easy part of the year is over. I'm looking hard at the last 4 games and trying to find a win in there. I just don't see one - probably @ Purdue is our best shot on paper. With a little Kinnick magic, maybe we pull an upset of either Michigan or MSU.

Michigan
Michigan St
@ Purdue
@ Nebraska

It sucks, but I think we could play some pretty good ball and still finish out the year 0-4 or 1-3. I really hope I'm wrong...I'll enjoy watching either way though - I think this team has brought a great attitude with them to the field...even though the final records may end up being similar, this team bears no similarities to the 2007 squad.

No way both Michigan and Michigan State beat us in Kinnick

I agree with that statement, we have matched up well in the Ferentz era with these programs. Being at home gives us a legit shot with them both. I am more worried about Purdue and Nebraska with our sub par performances on the road so far this season. Go Hawks

I hate to post this, cause I don't like it at all. But I still see 6-6. Minny will be the end of our little win streak.
UM, MSU, Purdue, Nebby. all losses. Our D is too weak up the middle.
Are you worried, Olivecourt?;)

I think you guys are giving Purdue too much credit for beating Illinois. Do we really know if Illinois was that good to begin with? We beat Minny, Mich & MSU are both toss ups, we beat Purdue in an ugly game, we lose to Nebby. With that said I think the following could happen realistically...
If we beat Michigan I think we continue rolling and beat MSU. If we lose to Michigan I think it will effect how we play against MSU. If we beat them both no way we lose at Purdue. If we get to Nebby with an 8-2 record then I think we have confidence and momentum and I will not be surprised if Iowa pulls out the win in Lincoln.

I think they win at Minnesota. I think our running game is getting much better and you simply can't stack the box with JVB. He will make you pay...and go vertical. I think they realize they have some payback for last year and this team KNOWS it's not good enough not to come out fired up.

As for the Michigan and MSU games. Guys NW's offense did the same thing to Michigan, Penn State, and Illinois. They went up and down the field with ease, but their defense can't stop anyone. Iowa has a weakness against mobile QB's I'll give you that, but they also have knocked Robinson out of the game two years running. They hit him. If our D gets healthy, I think we beat Michigan at home. MSU scares me as they can smash you in the mouth and play power football, and do it better than Penn State. We will need turnovers in that game.

I'm not sold on Purdue, but we have to play aggressive and let the ball fly on the road.

Nebraska, well, let's see how healthy we are. If one other D-lineman can improve over the next four-five games, who knows. I'm disappointed C. Davis hasn't made the leap. He would be a big body to take on double teams and keep the linebackers free to roam...that is killing us. Linemen getting to the second level...MSU and Wisky do a great job of getting to the second level with their guards and centers.

I hate to post this, cause I don't like it at all. But I still see 6-6. Minny will be the end of our little win streak.
UM, MSU, Purdue, Nebby. all losses. Our D is too weak up the middle.
Are you worried, Olivecourt?;)

Nope. 8-4. Same prediction I've had all along. And I find the idea of updating predictions every week to be fairly ridiculous. What's the point of even making predictions if you're going to tweak them every single week?

Bulletin board material for the MSU game........

"We said if we can get through October, look out" - K. Cousins, after the WI game last night.

Nope. 8-4. Same prediction I've had all along. And I find the idea of updating predictions every week to be fairly ridiculous. What's the point of even making predictions if you're going to tweak them every single week?

I am still hoping (not as confident for 9-3, thats what I predicted)
We should win MN and Purdue. We are going to need the O to execute
Split the Michigans. We might have pay back coming from MSU, but I dont think Meatchicken gets it done in Kinnick.
If healthy win beat Nebby. I know alot of people dont agree, but I think we match up very well with Nebby.

I see Iowa beating Minnesota but making Minnesota look good in the process.

And that's it for the year. Iowa's defense will not be able to handle Mich, MSU, or NE, and Purdue will beat Iowa because of how bad this team is on the road.

I see a 1-4 record, similar to last year when the coaches lost the team. They will probably lose the team again this year after a couple more losses.

Not flaming but how bad is this team on the road? We lost to ISU in triple OT, in a rivalry game that is essentially their superbowl and lost to a PSU team that's been playig good football. Maybe my blinders are on, but I'm just not that convinced based on what I've seen out of this team that supports your claim as to "how bad this team is on the road".

Not calling any body out as far as predictions go, but at this point I don't see how loses to Michigan or Nebraska can be a definite. Both teams are a injury at QB away from being mediocre, at best, offensively. I'd rather watch the season play out then try to predict wins and loses based on too many unknown factors at this time. Let's just enjoy the season one week at a time. We're 5-2 right now, why do we need to care where we'll be 5 weeks from now.

realistic statistical analysis says that we have to win out the play in the title game. i would bet heavily against that.

Olive, what are you thinking for the two losses?

Michigan State and Nebraska?

I hate our matchup with Michigan State. They're like Penn State but they have a really good offense. I have that as a loss.

I'm torn on Nebraska. It's going to be tough to beat them on the road, but I like the fact that Martinez can't throw. The one thing our defense has shown is the ability to get after guys who like to move laterally across the line of scrimmage, and Martinez does a lot of that.

So I'll chicken out and say we beat Michigan, lose to Michigan State, and split the Nebraska/Purdue road games. 8-4.

I am not chalking up any wins for the rest of the year. This team has proven to be vastly different on the road and not in a good way.

I am not chalking up any losses for the rest of the year. The team has proven to be vastly different at Kinnick, in a good way.

If nothing else changes, the only game I am sure of is that Nebraska will be an L, simply based on them playing on the road against a good team.

Latest posts