Report: Hoiberg could replace Thibodeau as Bulls head coach

tweeterhawk

Clown fans don't believe this. I think it could happen. I think Hoiberg is beginning to see that his approach to the game -- recruit athletes, not necessarily model citizens, put them out on the floor and let them figure it out -- may win a conference championship but it may not even get him past the first round in the NCAA. Being a college coach is hard work: recruiting, staying within the rules, putting together a practice and a game plan, figuring out strategies. Not sure that's The Mayor.

Plus, if he's got to put up with over-inflated egos and troubled personalities, why not make bigger bucks in the NBA?

Fred Hoiberg could replace Tom Thibodeau as Chicago Bulls coach, per report

Clown fans don't believe this. I think it could happen. I think Hoiberg is beginning to see that his approach to the game -- recruit athletes, not necessarily model citizens, put them out on the floor and let them figure it out -- may win a conference championship but it may not even get him past the first round in the NCAA. Being a college coach is hard work: recruiting, staying within the rules, putting together a practice and a game plan, figuring out strategies. Not sure that's The Mayor.

Plus, if he's got to put up with over-inflated egos and troubled personalities, why not make bigger bucks in the NBA?

I just don't see it quite yet. Maybe once his kids are in college or that, but I think he wants to raise his kids in the same environment that he grew up in.

I just do not see it at this time. That job or any other could be there in 5 years so why now when you have children in school, etc.

At least one Bulls fan is not in favor of this and made his feelings kown in the comments section.

Please can you people stop bring up this ******* rumor like it’s some type of new news. They’ve been saying this for the past 2-3 years. Yea let’s replace thibs with some moron who couldn’t get his team one win in the tournament. You people are idiots. Yea let’s be like the bucks or kings or some other garbage team who changes coaches every yr.. that seems to work great in the nba.

by Jimbo477 on Mar 21, 2015 | 2:53 PM reply

While I do get sick of hearing about Hoiberg... you seem to be conclude somehow it's easier to win in the NBA? From what you have posted here you seem to indicate Hoiberg is a bad coach.

I want to vomit half the time I hear about him but I can't say he is a bad coach.

My personal hunch is the only team he'd leave for right now is the Timberwolves due to his familiarity with the entire front office of the club (totally my hunch). I'm with most others in that i don't think this is going to come true (but hey, odder things have happened).

At least one Bulls fan is not in favor of this and made his feelings kown in the comments section.

Please can you people stop bring up this ******* rumor like it’s some type of new news. They’ve been saying this for the past 2-3 years. Yea let’s replace thibs with some moron who couldn’t get his team one win in the tournament. You people are idiots. Yea let’s be like the bucks or kings or some other garbage team who changes coaches every yr.. that seems to work great in the nba.

by Jimbo477 on Mar 21, 2015 | 2:53 PM reply

Are you Jimbo477? ;)

FH isn't going anywhere: A) because of his family B)unfinished business until he gets ISU to at least 1 final 4. He saw a mediocre Connecticut team last year get on a run and win a title last year and he believes he can do the same at Iowa St. Given the current landscape of college basketball it really isn't that farfetched. It setup pretty nicely this year if they hadn't urinated it down their leg.

FH will eventually end up in the NBA, he is a smart dude, like Steve Kerr he will not take any random NBA job, he will take one where he can be successful.

My personal hunch is the only team he'd leave for right now is the Timberwolves due to his familiarity with the entire front office of the club (totally my hunch). I'm with most others in that i don't think this is going to come true (but hey, odder things have happened).

I would disagree. I'd say Houston. That's where his buddy McHale is.

Much as I cringe at agreeing with a clone fan (mark down the time and date folks), I think you're right.

In a year or two, KG will be part of a new ownership group buying out Glen Taylor...or he'll become a minority owner within a succession plan put together by Taylor. At that point, Flip will become the GM and they'll go after Freddie for HC.

If Freddie is the great coach so many claim, he'll take the job. If his view of the world begins and ends in Story county...like most clones...he won't.

BUT...it wouldn't surprise me if he stays in Ames. While his heart condition seems to be managed...the NBA is exponentially more stressful and demanding than college ball. Why take the risk when you can make 7 figures in the small IOWA town where you grew up and be a hero no matter what.

Guys, stop it. Ames has nationally renowned water, the 3rd best schools in the State of Iowa and a professor who moved there from Brooklyn. Brooklyn, New York, not Brooklyn, Iowa.

Source: Hooray for Ames

Hoiberg ain't going anywhere.

No way in the world he's leaving Ames. NO WAY. Not happening with his health situation. NBA is a much worse grind than the Big 12. Not happening, folks

I would disagree. I'd say Houston. That's where his buddy McHale is.

I agree Houston would be a better job today but I don't see that happening. McHale may be his buddy but he will have no say in who his successor is. Saunders is also his buddy and he will likely be in complete control when the next Wolves coach is hired. As a fan of the Wolves and Hawkeyes, Hoiberg on the Wolves sideline would be too good to be true.

Hoiberg has done a wonderful job at Moo U. However, he has done it with smoke & mirrors. Fred has taken other programs rejects & won many games. Without solid recruiting classes the program could collapse very quickly. Fred realizes this. I think, if the right NBA opens, he will seriously consider moving on.

I don't know why anyone would choose to leave a good college job where you can probably stay for life if you want to take an NBA job. Hoiberg is making 2.6 mil a year at ISU. There are several current NBA coaches who are making less than that. Thibodoux is making 4.375 mil for the Bulls but he is an established coach who signed an extension a few years ago; I doubt Hoiberg would get that as a first year guy. Granted the opportunity to make more money exists in the NBA but there are reasons to stay in the college game. Not to mention how much further your money goes in Ames vs Chicago. Hoiberg is also coaching at his alma mater in his hometown. Pretty strong ties to cut there, he really has it made in Ames.

In college basketball, the coaches are the stars and have all of the power. In the NBA the players are the stars and coaches are secondary. You get to pick your players in college, in the NBA others pick your players for you. An NBA season with a nice playoff run lasts 8-9 months with 82 regular season games plus playoffs. A college season lasts about 4 months with about a 30-35 game regular season.

I guess it depends on a guys personality; some seek the challenge of the NBA. Both Calipari and Pitino tried it and came back to the college game which they seem to prefer. Larry Brown is back in the college game and coaching icons like Coach K and Izzo never left college even though both have had ample opportunity to do so. Why do they stay? Because they're gods in their respective towns and they know they would never be that revered in the pro game. I don't think Hoiberg will leave.

I don't see Fred leaving Ames. The only reason I could see him leaving is if he just hates recruiting as much as I think he does. I mean the guy doesn't even go after HS kids at all, he only targets a top 20 type guy, and then relies on transfers for the rest of the roster. He got Custer to commit on Nov. 2012, and has not inked a HS kid since (I don't count a Greek club player who never played in the States).

I don't think Fred is interested in taking the months, and months to earn a HS kids trust to sign them, unless they are a top 20 kids (Dialo, Vaughn). Otherwise he can spend a couple weeks working a transfer and they have to make a decision quick. Fred doesn't have to sink a bunch of time stoking a HS ego for months or a year. Plus it is working for him, why spend all that effort getting HS kids when he has been so successful with transfers?

Latest posts