Replay in college football is a sham, terrible

In the big picture, more games are won and lost by 1 possession than games that are won and lost by 5 possessions. That's what makes this so ridiculous, especially when you have replays and 7 different camera angles.
This nails it.

(1) A lot of games are one possession games; it's ridiculous to say, 'too bad, it's your fault for not getting it to a two possession game.

(2) Sure, players make mistakes; it's part of the game. Yes, officials get calls wrong or uncalled; it's part of the game. Replay official should never get a call wrong and Joe Klatt is correct -- replay officials are re-officiating games instead of over-turning blatantly missed calls.

(3) Those that say don't let the officials make the decision need to get out of the dinosaur age. Replay officials should never miss a call.

They should have 30 seconds max. If it’s not obvious then the call should stand. Distinguishing between saying it’s “confirmed” or should “stand” is nonsensical. The call should either stand or be reversed. It shouldn’t take 5-10 minutes. If it does, then almost by definition it is not “indisputable”.
too much sense. you can't be on the ncaa rules committee

I thought it was an incomplete pass, it looked like the receiver did not maintain control of the catch and did not complete the process of the catch. I would have ruled incomplete.

EM8CD-JU8AA-Pvw

Last edited:
The replay system is terrible, where replay officials are overturning calls that are not that wrong. The AJE forced fumble last nite was not indisputably verified to show it was an incomplete pass. My god the Clemson receiver caught a ball tonite and took three steps and then had the ball knocked loose. The ball was fumbled and recovered by OSU and run in for a td.

How the F is that overruled. Terrible reversal. Coach Day was pissed as he should be and it wrecked the game.

College football is turning into a three ring circus. It is terrible how the play on the field is getting re-reffed by some dude in a booth against what most fans see with their eyes.

And then there are so many transgressions that are not called yet cannot be replayed by officials. really shitty

OSU is not close to my favorite big 10 team I wanted them to win.
i don't care about OSU but the officiating and especially review official really sucked the last few days.

Klatt re-affirmed what Kirk said in an interview about rush blocking (the rule is unclear and called differently than defined and called differently every game)

and said the crew that did the Iowa game should get down-graded. Never heard an announcer say that before.

This nails it.

(1) A lot of games are one possession games; it's ridiculous to say, 'too bad, it's your fault for not getting it to a two possession game.

(2) Sure, players make mistakes; it's part of the game. Yes, officials get calls wrong or uncalled; it's part of the game. Replay official should never get a call wrong and Joe Klatt is correct -- replay officials are re-officiating games instead of over-turning blatantly missed calls.

(3) Those that say don't let the officials make the decision need to get out of the dinosaur age. Replay officials should never miss a call.

With all due respect, the people that say “don’t put it in officials hands” are idiots. Matchups involving evenly matched teams almost always come down to a single possession and just a handful of plays.

Replay officials are supposed to be there to ensure the obvious plays are properly adjudicated. If you can’t see a reason to overturn within the first 10 seconds of viewing, then that means there’s nothing clear and convincing to overturn a call on the field and the call should stand.

Replay has gotten completely out of hand from its original intended purpose and is ruining the game.

No matter how specific the rules of a catch are defined, there will still be some discretion involved by the person reviewing the play. However, given what I have witnessed over the course of the season, I would say the rules need to be tightened up to eliminate the most egregious examples of "interpretation" that exist today.

Specifically, when does "control" occur when a pass is received? Clearly, where in the field of play that the "catch" occurs makes a difference. If the catch is made on the sideline, as soon as the receiver steps out of bounds, the play is dead and if the ball was "controlled" before leaving the field of play, it will be ruled a catch. However, if the catch is made in the field of play and the defender is able to knock the ball out of the grasp of the receiver before the ball is tucked away, is that a catch or will it be considered a defensive move sufficient to prevent the "catch" from occurring?

Right now it's unclear as to how a definitive ruling should be made. So in order to produce more consistent treatment across the board in all games, the governing body needs to tighten the rules to effectively eliminate blatant interpretation of overly broad rules. But even so, you will never be able to eliminate the variation present in the viewers' eyes. However, I believe there is room for improvement at the present time.

Clemson won this game with heady play. Ohio St, although very talented, was the more undisciplined team. It showed in some of the Big Ten games this year...fortunately they were that much better to overcome it in conference.

Clemson is a team that has been there and has a quarterback that can make plays when they need it. The Refs did not lose this game for Ohio St.

Ohio St could have won this game, probably should have won this game, but made to many mistakes. You can't do that against a Clemson, Alabama, LSU, etc and slip by with a high success rate.

Last edited:
I thought it was an incomplete pass, it looked like the receiver did not maintain control of the catch and did not complete the process of the catch. I would have ruled incomplete.

EM8CD-JU8AA-Pvw
I really dont care, but securing the ball in both hands for 3 or 4 steps while holding away from the defender covers part 3. He was able to do that until his next move which was to try to tuck the ball. Securing with hands for 3 steps is a move, the 3rd step is control. Intentionally moving ball into a tuck position is another move with control of the ball. You can not attempt to tuck unless you have control, especially on steps 3 or 4. I believe that you are incorrect. Attempting to tuck a football after you have secured it in 2 hands and taken 3 -4 steps is an intentional football move. He failed in the move, but was able to begin/attempt the move.

Getting worse each year instead of better. IMO he caught the ball and fumbled. That was the original call. Someone explain to me how anything on replay was "conclusive" that required them to overturn the call.

Some really good discussion here and a lot of emotion about how you see replay and officiating. More to come

Officiating, in general, is poor in college football. Add to that poor replay officiating and games are determined by the wrong people.

But, as a poster said earlier, never put yourself in a position to allow the refs to decide the game.

You simply don't get it. Take the AJE forced fumble. We DID put ourselves in a position to put the game away. Replay booth took it away. No other way to spin it.

Near the end of the game Joel Klatt actually questioned whether the officials would be "downgraded on review". When the team that benefit are bluebloods, it certainly has to make one question the integrity of officiating and replay crews.

It's up to Vegas whether or not it's a catch. Pretty simple really. It's been that way for a while now... I don't like it anymore than you.

It's up to Vegas whether or not it's a catch. Pretty simple really. It's been that way for a while now... I don't like it anymore than you.

I’ve never bought into this type of propaganda in regards to betting. But.... I have to admit that thought ran through my head last night.

You simply don't get it. Take the AJE forced fumble. We DID put ourselves in a position to put the game away. Replay booth took it away. No other way to spin it.

Near the end of the game Joel Klatt actually questioned whether the officials would be "downgraded on review". When the team that benefit are bluebloods, it certainly has to make one question the integrity of officiating and replay crews.

I get it. Dont let officials determine the outcome, especially against bluebloods or favored schools. See Ohio st.

They may as well get rid of the expert official that the announcers go to when there is a review of a call. It seems more than 50% of the time the official talking to the booth never agrees with the ones on the field. Seems odd since they're all looking at the same replay.

They may as well get rid of the expert official that the announcers go to when there is a review of a call. It seems more than 50% of the time the official talking to the booth never agrees with the ones on the field. Seems odd since they're all looking at the same replay.

Bill LeMonnier shouldn't be one. That guy sucked in the Big Ten and he is most well known for blowing two obvious calls in a Michigan-Illinois game that was part of the impetus of replay coming to college.

It was a joke. It's bullshit when it affects the outcome.
There's no doubt in my mind that the replay is being used as a tool by conferences or worse betting services to affect the outcome of games. It's been pretty obvious for a couple of years in the NFL, now it's in college football. On the field calls are being overturned with almost no evidence, clearly, the replay officials are either following someone's agenda or have usurped completely the officials' role on the field. I don't believe this was the intention of replay.

Latest posts