Replay in college football is a sham, terrible

uihawk82

The replay system is terrible, where replay officials are overturning calls that are not that wrong. The AJE forced fumble last nite was not indisputably verified to show it was an incomplete pass. My god the Clemson receiver caught a ball tonite and took three steps and then had the ball knocked loose. The ball was fumbled and recovered by OSU and run in for a td.

How the F is that overruled. Terrible reversal. Coach Day was pissed as he should be and it wrecked the game.

College football is turning into a three ring circus. It is terrible how the play on the field is getting re-reffed by some dude in a booth against what most fans see with their eyes.

And then there are so many transgressions that are not called yet cannot be replayed by officials. really shitty

OSU is not close to my favorite big 10 team I wanted them to win.

The replay system is terrible, where replay officials are overturning calls that are not that wrong. The AJE forced fumble last nite was not indisputably verified to show it was an incomplete pass. My god the Clemson receiver caught a ball tonite and took three steps and then had the ball knocked loose. The ball was fumbled and recovered by OSU and run in for a td.

How the F is that overruled. Terrible reversal. Coach Day was pissed as he should be and it wrecked the game.

College football is turning into a three ring circus. It is terrible how the play on the field is getting re-reffed by some dude in a booth against what most fans see with their eyes.

And then there are so many transgressions that are not called yet cannot be replayed by officials. really shitty

OSU is not close to my favorite big 10 team I wanted them to win.
It really seems that the net effect of reply has been negative. The burden of proof to overturn a call needs to be clarified as “clear and convincing” before a call is overturned. The definition of targeting and what constitutes a catch need simplification.

Totally agree. It is a total joke. If I was an OSU fan I’d be losing my shit and would rightfully be blaming the officials for that loss. That targeting call and fumble overturn cost them a national championship game appearance.
It cost the b10 a championship appearance.

while I agree on the massive inconsistencies not only within the individual games for calls but as a whole throughout college but you are all deluded if you think the replay guys cost OSU a chance at the title game.

I am in agreement that OSU had some horrible calls against them as well so I am not playing Clemson homer. What cost them was their inability to score TDs in the redzone coupled with stupid penalties at terrible times. If they score those TDs the outcome of the game would have been much different.

Never put yourself in a position where the referees can determine the outcome of a game.

while I agree on the massive inconsistencies not only within the individual games for calls but as a whole throughout college but you are all deluded if you think the replay guys cost OSU a chance at the title game.

I am in agreement that OSU had some horrible calls against them as well so I am not playing Clemson homer. What cost them was their inability to score TDs in the redzone coupled with stupid penalties at terrible times. If they score those TDs the outcome of the game would have been much different.

Never put yourself in a position where the referees can determine the outcome of a game.

In the big picture, more games are won and lost by 1 possession than games that are won and lost by 5 possessions. That's what makes this so ridiculous, especially when you have replays and 7 different camera angles.

Oh I agree with you and when it was just 16-0 OSU before Clemson scored just before halftime I was saying this game could have almost been over. But OSU just had some strange playcalling and a couple dropped passes that led to FGoals instead of TDs.

But here is what the NCAA head of officials had to say about that fumble scoop and score reversal:

"Veteran NFL official and collegiate officiating administrator Terry McAulay led the chorus on Twitter of those second-guessing the officials for overturning the Ohio State touchdown. “There is absolutely no way replay should have reversed,” he said. “’Indisputable video evidence’ is simply not there.”

Now that is a pretty big indictment of muffing up one of the top games of they year. If you now have to pull the ball into your body to make it a catch then there will be 500 receptions overturned next year, maybe thousands.

Thing about the Clemson fumble is if that catch occured in the endzone it would 100% have been called a touchdown. Possession + foot = touchdown. However apparently according to the refs a catch and 3 steps does not equal fumble? Makes zero sense.

Officiating, in general, is poor in college football. Add to that poor replay officiating and games are determined by the wrong people.

But, as a poster said earlier, never put yourself in a position to allow the refs to decide the game.

Still glad we have replay though. Imagine if we could have more of it in college basketball with the blind mice Big Ten Officials.

They should have 30 seconds max. If it’s not obvious then the call should stand. Distinguishing between saying it’s “confirmed” or should “stand” is nonsensical. The call should either stand or be reversed. It shouldn’t take 5-10 minutes. If it does, then almost by definition it is not “indisputable”.

I didn't see the fumble that was overturned, but the targeting call was also complete BS. The OSU defender went in to make a textbook tackle and the Clemson QB lowered his head into the defenders helmet. I guess QBs should just be taught to do that anytime they are being sacked.

They should have 30 seconds max. If it’s not obvious then the call should stand. Distinguishing between saying it’s “confirmed” or should “stand” is nonsensical. The call should either stand or be reversed. It shouldn’t take 5-10 minutes. If it does, then almost by definition it is not “indisputable”.
Boom!!!

Sort of kind of related....the personal foul call when we hit Slovis was bullcrap, nothing malicious about that hit.

The "football move" part of the rule is just stupid. He had control of the ball and took 3-4 steps with it clearly in his possession. That was a catch.

ISM had that great one handed catch for the hawks against Purdue this year running along the sideline. The Dback was grabbing his left arm so he catches it with his right hand, holds it in his hand, takes a few steps and is forced out of bounds.

Is this not going to be a catch in the future and anymore? Ridiculous thought.

Until college and pro football can come to consensus agreement as to what constitutes a catch, we’re going to continue to have bullshit, subjective calls like what happened to Ragaini v Neb and the game last night.

I don’t want to live in a world where a guy can catch and control the ball all the way until he’s down, then rolls over and the ball pops out and it’s ruled incomplete. Nor do I want to live in a world where a guy catches the ball, controls it for three steps, has it stripped, and its ruled incomplete.

That shit has to get fixed now!

Until college and pro football can come to consensus agreement as to what constitutes a catch, we’re going to continue to have bullshit, subjective calls like what happened to Ragaini v Neb and the game last night.

I don’t want to live in a world where a guy can catch and control the ball all the way until he’s down, then rolls over and the ball pops out and it’s ruled incomplete. Nor do I want to live in a world where a guy catches the ball, controls it for three steps, has it stripped, and its ruled incomplete.

That shit has to get fixed now!

Even if you use the "complete a football move" standard, the WR is turning up field right as he is stripped. Guess what, that is a football move.

And I don't understand the "you need to officiate it in real speed" stance some are taking? If we can only judge things by watching them in real speed, then what is the point of even having replay?

I am absolutely flummoxed by that call.