Remember When?

2boys

This is the Hawkeye Basketball that I remember.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT3gmM9whys"]YouTube- 1987 Iowa basketball - Indiana 1/22 Part 1[/ame]

Part 2:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPxm-MRt7q4"]YouTube- 1987 Iowa basketball - Indiana 1/22 Part 2[/ame]

Part 3:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NwZv26w3hk&feature=related"]YouTube- 1987 Iowa basketball - Indiana 1/22 Part 3[/ame]

Thanks for the link. A couple of things I noticed:

1. There were two national championship quality teams on the floor and yet almost none of the guys were "rocked up" like they are with weight training now. I think the game itself was better before it became football on hardwood.

2. I had forgotten how deep Iowa was that season! George really left the roster stocked.

3. I'd also forgotten what a happening place CHA was back then. Wow. I just hope I'm able to see it that way again on a regular basis.

And last, but not least...

4. I DID NOT REALIZE THAT THE LITTLE DRAMA QUEEN, EDDIE HIGHTOWER, WAS GOING BALD BACK IN '87--which means, of course, that he's wearing a hair piece now. WHy am I not surprised? Miserable little prima donna. Hey Eddie! It's time to retire! :)

Anybody notice the pace of the game? Not just Iowa, but Indiana as well. Both teams always pushing the ball up the floor and looking to run off of either missed shots or makes. Pretty crazy that Iowa had as many points by the 2nd t.v. timeout as we had against Wisconsin in the entire first half the other night.

Nowadays in the Big Ten, there is no fast breaking and no pushing the tempo. It's killing me!

Not to mention teams worked the ball inside and there was that archaic thing known as a "mid-range game".

I sure do miss the 1980's style of play.

Agreed on the mid range game. The mid range game is there because these players didn't start playing youth basketball with a 3 point line. When you watch youth basketball now, 3 pointers are a part of the game already.

One thing I noticed was the depth of Iowa. At the start of part 3, the Hawks had Moe, Gamble, Jones, Lorenzen and Wright in the game. The 3 subs (I know they started the game) that come in are Armstrong, Marble, and Horton. Lohaus comes in as well. Wow.

Also, a stat mentioned during that video - the Hawks were last in the Big 10 (I believe) in 3 point shooting at that point of the season. The Hoosiers (with Alford) were first.

Finally, some other things:
- Indiana playing a zone under Knight. This Indiana teams wins the title!
- defenses back then did not help as much as nowadays.
- the offense for both teams starts right about the 3 point line. Nowadays, the defense pushes out much farther.
- After a made shot, I forgot about the Iowa pass into the big man who then passes to the guard, even when the other team doesn't press.
- Those bounce passes on the Tom Davis offense.
- Remembering how Iowa passed the ball around the outside for the first few passes of each possession. Much less dribbling back then.
- the shorts!

You are absolutely right woody. If memory serves, I thought the college game didn't have the 3 point shot the previous year, but I could be wrong about that. At any rate, there was still the 2-point mentality in the game back then, and that has totally changed. IMO, this has hurt the college game overall.

I think the announcers said that Indiana was shooting 57% as a team from beyond the arc at that point in the year, which is absolutely nuts.

That 1987 Iowa team was definitely known for its depth. To bring Gerry Wright, Al Lorenzen, Bill Jones and Jeff Moe off the bench. Those guys were all juniors and seniors if I'm not mistaken, and Al Lorenzen was a McDonald's All American. Unbelievable the bench that team had. Mr. Davis had the luxury that year of constantly keeping his starters fresh without really having much drop off when they were out of the game.

When was the last time an Iowa team has really had a whole lot of depth?

By the way, I kinda miss the yellow court. :D

Watching jeff Moe again, that guy hustled like crazy but man did he ever throw up some junk shots too. Loved the guy and that whole team... wow how fun to watch those videos.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjjg8U4LGsw"]YouTube- 1991 Iowa basketball - James Moses tip-in to beat Indiana[/ame]

I remember this game well, what a win at the time as Indiana was a top 5 team. I remember going crazy in my folks basement as Moses tipped it in.

Another....as the Hawks end the Heels non-conf home winning streak. Makes me want to pull these game tapes out of the vault.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDErDhn8yMM&feature=fvw"]YouTube- Iowa Hawkeyes vs North Carolina MBB 1988 in Chapel Hill[/ame]

WOW...53 points by halftime at North Carolina. It hits me like a ton of bricks why I set my entire week around watching them

I feel sorry for you pups who didn't experience these games. Sir Jam-alot was my idol. Iowa basketball was the one think that made my winters those years.

TO put things in perspective- 86-88 I planned my week around Iowa Basketball. in 2009-2010 I couldn't even name a single player on the team. NOT a single player. I haven't watched an Iowa basketball game in two years.

Watching jeff Moe again, that guy hustled like crazy but man did he ever throw up some junk shots too. Loved the guy and that whole team... wow how fun to watch those videos.

This was the first team I really remember as a kid. They started my love for Iowa Basketball.

Jeff Moe is one of my all-time favorite players.

Latest posts