Remember when? You too Jon...

Which makes no sense and tells me they would be still against Ferentz with anything less than a Rose Bowl victory.

The team has exceeded pretty much everyones expectations by 3 or 4 games with a harder schedule than last year and the haters still hate.

You do realize that this is the FIRST time, since 2009, that expectations have been exceeded.
If Iowa beats Nebraska and wins their bowl game, I'm sure that Kirk will fire the NFL rumors, again.

You do realize that we have a chance to have a winning record in Big Ten conference play for the first time, since 2009.
You do realize that the combined record of those teams we beat are 28-50.
Oh, and it took Kirk 15 years to do it, but he FINALLY beat Iowa State and Northwestern in the same season, and it took 2 of the worst Iowa State and Northwestern teams in Kirk's tenure to do this. Congratulations, coach!

Supposed, Ferentz haters don't expect Rose Bowl victory every season.
Here's what we expect, and please, pin this and remember this going forward:
At almost $4 million/year, we expect beating 4 tomato cans out of conference, and going, at least 4-4 in the Big Ten every season.
This has been accomplished only 5 out of the 15 years.

What makes it feel more successful is the Big Ten negotiating power for more and much better bowl games than during Hayden's tenure.
When Iowa played in the Gator Bowl in 1983, it was 2 top 15 teams, now it's the 5th/6th selection in the Big Ten pecking order.

You do realize that this is the FIRST time, since 2009, that expectations have been exceeded.
If Iowa beats Nebraska and wins their bowl game, I'm sure that Kirk will fire the NFL rumors, again.

You do realize that we have a chance to have a winning record in Big Ten conference play for the first time, since 2009.
You do realize that the combined record of those teams we beat are 28-50.
Oh, and it took Kirk 15 years to do it, but he FINALLY beat Iowa State and Northwestern in the same season, and it took 2 of the worst Iowa State and Northwestern teams in Kirk's tenure to do this. Congratulations, coach!

Supposed, Ferentz haters don't expect Rose Bowl victory every season.
Here's what we expect, and please, pin this and remember this going forward:
At almost $4 million/year, we expect beating 4 tomato cans out of conference, and going, at least 4-4 in the Big Ten every season.
This has been accomplished only 5 out of the 15 years.

What makes it feel more successful is the Big Ten negotiating power for more and much better bowl games than during Hayden's tenure.
When Iowa played in the Gator Bowl in 1983, it was 2 top 15 teams, now it's the 5th/6th selection in the Big Ten pecking order.

Seriously, why don't you put more arbitrary and stupid stipulations out there? I mean you HAVE to go 4-0 in non con? Well guess what, some of our most successful years have included a non con lose. So but putting the stipulation on this, you knock out the 2002, 2004, and the 2008 years. So your stupid stipulations knock our 3 of the most successful years, way to try to skew the data.

Seriously, why don't you put more arbitrary and stupid stipulations out there? I mean you HAVE to go 4-0 in non con? Well guess what, some of our most successful years have included a non con lose. So but putting the stipulation on this, you knock out the 2002, 2004, and the 2008 years. So your stupid stipulations knock our 3 of the most successful years, way to try to skew the data.

Not sure I agree with it being arbitrairy or stupid. When your non-con schedule consists of ISU, a couple of MAC teams and a FCS team, a sweep of those games isn't unreasonable. Save for that rare occasion one of those teams are actually ranked (like NIU).

Yes who are we proles to question the leadership of a program that has more losses when favored by 10 than the next 5 best Big 10 schools combined over the last decade. You are correct, that is the mark of flawless in game decisions and play calling. Not to mention our outstanding track record on defending fake punts.

Geez, will you get a new line. You sound like Fox News: Say dumb things enough times so that the audience will eventually believe you.

Um, yeah, brah, it is. Ferentz finally beat ISU and Northwestern in the same season. A good game on Friday and we wind up 8-4. Only one marginally bad loss. All this on the heels of a 4-8 season. The middle of the B1G is obviously down, but when we have a shot at 5-3 in conference with a new QB and that schedule we had, I gotta say it is a season of epic proportions. If we get to 9 wins (with the bowl), Ferentz should be national coach of the year.

When did beating ISU and Northwestern in the same year start qualifying as an "epic" season? We should expect to win both every year. It's scary how far expectations have fallen around here. Numerous posters keep saying we are 7-5 also as if losing to Nebraska is a foregone conclusion. Have some self esteem people! We are better than that, and should expect better! Losing on Friday would be a disappointment IMO.

When did beating ISU and Northwestern in the same year start qualifying as an "epic" season? We should expect to win both every year. It's scary how far expectations have fallen around here. Numerous posters keep saying we are 7-5 also as if losing to Nebraska is a foregone conclusion. Have some self esteem people! We are better than that, and should expect better! Losing on Friday would be a disappointment IMO.

okeefe was full of sarcasm in his posting.

When the team with 4 turnover(2 of which were for basically immediate touchdowns) beats a team with 1 turnover that didn't result in points....the team with 4 turnovers typically is the superior team.

Couple that with the 3 to 1 edge in total yardage, Iowa dominated.
Iowa would beat this Michigan team, 9/10 times. The better team won, without a doubt.

Not sure I agree with it being arbitrairy or stupid. When your non-con schedule consists of ISU, a couple of MAC teams and a FCS team, a sweep of those games isn't unreasonable. Save for that rare occasion one of those teams are actually ranked (like NIU).

I'm sorry, it is just dumb. Did they lose a non con game? Sure they did, but their overall seasons were very successful. 2002, 2004, and 2008, were successful years by any and every measure......except when someone says you CAN"T lose a non con game and have a successful season????

I'm sorry, it is just dumb. Did they lose a non con game? Sure they did, but their overall seasons were very successful. 2002, 2004, and 2008, were successful years by any and every measure......except when someone says you CAN"T lose a non con game and have a successful season????

I've slowly come to realize over the past year that it's simply the result of people wanting to find something to complain about. That's all it really is. Ferentz supporters can provide plenty of justifiable facts to support the claim he's likely the best Iowa is going to get, while Ferentz haters will continue figuring out reasons to whine about him. It just makes it more difficult to whine when he's exceeding expectations. Some people choose to live life complaining about what could have been, and others choose to live life being happy with what is. Those two types of people are rarely going to see eye to eye.

I've slowly come to realize over the past year that it's simply the result of people wanting to find something to complain about. That's all it really is. Ferentz supporters can provide plenty of justifiable facts to support the claim he's likely the best Iowa is going to get, while Ferentz haters will continue figuring out reasons to whine about him. It just makes it more difficult to whine when he's exceeding expectations. Some people choose to live life complaining about what could have been, and others choose to live life being happy with what is. Those two types of people are rarely going to see eye to eye.

ha ha ha ha!!! and an ole LOL to boot....

I read the first 3 pages of this thread and that was enough for me. We are currently 7-4 with the possibility of being 9-4, which would blow me away and have me e-mailing apologies to members of the coaching staff. However, we could just as easily be 7-6, which falls right back in line with my thinking that 7-6 is unacceptable in any season, for a 4 million dollar head coach. 2009 is currently the blast season that stands out in the last 4+. If we win the next 2 games, we will be 9-4 but would have lost to the BIG teams competing for the BIG title, by 10+ points per game. That's leaps and bounds better than 4-8 but nowhere near the BIG title, which the last one KF won is now officially 9 years old.
Is it unrealistic to expect 1 BIG title every 10 years? I don't think so.

If we finish the year 9-4, I will expect a birth in the BIG CCG next season. With Illinois, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Minnesota, NW and Purdue in our division, that should be possible.

I read the first 3 pages of this thread and that was enough for me. We are currently 7-4 with the possibility of being 9-4, which would blow me away and have me e-mailing apologies to members of the coaching staff. However, we could just as easily be 7-6, which falls right back in line with my thinking that 7-6 is unacceptable in any season, for a 4 million dollar head coach. 2009 is currently the blast season that stands out in the last 4+. If we win the next 2 games, we will be 9-4 but would have lost to the BIG teams competing for the BIG title, by 10+ points per game. That's leaps and bounds better than 4-8 but nowhere near the BIG title, which the last one KF won is now officially 9 years old.

With the new regime where we will have to beat the best of OSU, PSU (when they come back) and Michigan (when they come back) after winning our division, yeah, one B1G title every 10 years just ain't likely to happen. It actually is an unreasonable expectation. A reasonable expectation would be that once the divisions shift next year we should win it at least once or twice a decade, but Iowa has a just dismal history against OSU and I never expect to beat them.

Just as easy be 10-3 also....but we are not

Latest posts