Recruiting will be impacted

Damn, now this will terminate that elite PG pipeline Fran has worked on for so long.

I don't know him, but Fran is not a guy I think I would want to spend several years around. There are so many other sane options out there.

It is not like he has a record of molding athletes to rise to the best of their abilities.

Damn, now this will terminate that elite PG pipeline Fran has worked on for so long.

I don't know him, but Fran is not a guy I think I would want to spend several years around. There are so many other sane options out there.

It is not like he has a record of molding athletes to rise to the best of their abilities.

So you knew Aaron White would end up as one of the best all time Hawks or that Devin would become the #2 all time scorer or that Nick Baer would end up walking on to becoming 6th man of the year?

So raise your hand if you want to play for a program in constant turmoil because of hot heads like Fran McCaffery and bumbling buffoons like Gary Barta who are incapable of handling the simplest of PR situations? This is what we will get, along with a divided fan base, as long as these two are around. Even in a scenario in which Fran is fired there is not only the financial hit (Fran's sweet new buyout clause), but there is also a matter of attracting a coach who is willing to work for the above mentioned buffoon in said turmoil because he isn't going anywhere if you believe that Bruce Harreld has his back. If you are familiar with the struggles Illinois dealt with the last several years (turmoil in their athletic department), familiarize yourself because Iowa could be facing the same fate if this isn't put to a stop soon.

Wrong.

How many schools handle PR issues well? None.

And Fran being a hothead is going to impact recruiting? Whatever.

When the team is good they have pretty much a full arena and they are in a conference that prints money, even for a smaller school like Iowa. The pay is pretty attractive. Compared to the Big 12, where all schools are not close to equals, Iowa is pretty attractive.

Sorry I don’t buy your case here. I don’t think you understand the dynamics here. You simply want to complain. And that’s not to say 5here aren’t legitimate things to complain about. You just picked something that is not relevant.

So raise your hand if you want to play for a program in constant turmoil because of hot heads like Fran McCaffery and bumbling buffoons like Gary Barta who are incapable of handling the simplest of PR situations? This is what we will get, along with a divided fan base, as long as these two are around. Even in a scenario in which Fran is fired there is not only the financial hit (Fran's sweet new buyout clause), but there is also a matter of attracting a coach who is willing to work for the above mentioned buffoon in said turmoil because he isn't going anywhere if you believe that Bruce Harreld has his back. If you are familiar with the struggles Illinois dealt with the last several years (turmoil in their athletic department), familiarize yourself because Iowa could be facing the same fate if this isn't put to a stop soon.

DobL9iBWsAAaNx3.jpg

Hands Raised

No problem

I personally don't think this incident will deter any recruits from considering playing basketball for the University of Iowa and Coach McCaffrey

Relax, Jack

5054_1.jpg

So you knew Aaron White would end up as one of the best all time Hawks or that Devin would become the #2 all time scorer or that Nick Baer would end up walking on to becoming 6th man of the year?
Big Ten Titles, NCAA tournament success, NBA players developed for me. I like all the players you mentioned.

If you are talented enough to play at a P5 level, playing for a “hothead” coach when the heat is directed away from the team .... not going to negatively effect recruiting.

Recruits basing decision of school choice because of AD? LLLLLOL

For decades, the number one reason a player picked a certain school was the head coach. Now with the one/done rule and other agendas involved, that's probably not as true as it once was. Certain players will put up with anyone if they only have to do it for one year.

Didn't Lute have a similar situation with Jim Bain?
Yes, and it was a factor, not the only one, in greasing his skid right out of the league. Bain eventually successfully sued for defamation of character. Olson, in his last year in Iowa City and the big ten,
probably didn't get a single close call all year. He was fined but not suspended, as far as I remember.

Lute had a slight stroke last week and his name came came up, as well as Jim Bain and old Field House memories in several threads.

Yes, and it was a factor, not the only one, in greasing his skid right out of the league. Bain eventually successfully sued for defamation of character. Olson, in his last year in Iowa City and the big ten,
probably didn't get a single close call all year. He was fined but not suspended, as far as I remember.

Lute had a slight stroke last week and his name came came up, as well as Jim Bain and old Field House memories in several threads.

Just curious but was that around when they assigned 5 seed Iowa to play 12 seed Wichita State in Wichita? Always wondered if that was just a (ahem) coincidence.

The degree in which it might affect recruiting we may never know but I do think it will. It has the potential to serve as another bullet in the gun for opposing coaches. So far the only bullet fired in this episode was the one Fran shot that hit him in the foot.

Just curious but was that around when they assigned 5 seed Iowa to play 12 seed Wichita State in Wichita? Always wondered if that was just a (ahem) coincidence.
No that was the year before. But you're close. The year of Jim Bain they had to play Idaho in Pullman, Washington. That would be the equivalent of playing Duke in Chapel Hill.

I think Fran is a little extreme in his "protect his players" mentality. It comes up all the time with him. It's the root of all his problems. I'd say it's a pretty good bad trait to have.

I th
this I don't entirely disagree with, not because of Fran is a hothead. Seriously, look around at the game. Most coaches are hot heads. But the Barta snafu on the Dolph deal IMO has a much lingering affect due to the nature of what transpired.
I think high school kids don't think that much, hell people still go to schools on probation or in a scandal. Case in point Pedo U, they had a great recruiting class. Some kids might think it's cool a coach would do what he did.

Latest posts