Recruiting will be impacted

hoxrock

So raise your hand if you want to play for a program in constant turmoil because of hot heads like Fran McCaffery and bumbling buffoons like Gary Barta who are incapable of handling the simplest of PR situations? This is what we will get, along with a divided fan base, as long as these two are around. Even in a scenario in which Fran is fired there is not only the financial hit (Fran's sweet new buyout clause), but there is also a matter of attracting a coach who is willing to work for the above mentioned buffoon in said turmoil because he isn't going anywhere if you believe that Bruce Harreld has his back. If you are familiar with the struggles Illinois dealt with the last several years (turmoil in their athletic department), familiarize yourself because Iowa could be facing the same fate if this isn't put to a stop soon.

this I don't entirely disagree with, not because of Fran is a hothead. Seriously, look around at the game. Most coaches are hot heads. But the Barta snafu on the Dolph deal IMO has a much lingering affect due to the nature of what transpired.

this I don't entirely disagree with, not because of Fran is a hothead. Seriously, look around at the game. Most coaches are hot heads. But the Barta snafu on the Dolph deal IMO has a much lingering affect due to the nature of what transpired.

When I say hot head I refer to Fran's Bob Knight episodes during games. Yes coaches push their players in practice and they should. But the in-game spectacles are over the line. People can argue over and over again that Izzo deserves more T's than he gets and Bo Ryan did too but that is only letting Fran off the hook.

When I say hot head I refer to Fran's Bob Knight episodes during games. Yes coaches push their players in practice and they should. But the in-game spectacles are over the line. People can argue over and over again that Izzo deserves more T's than he gets and Bo Ryan did too but that is only letting Fran off the hook.

yeah players love to play for guys like that. Fran is a players coach. That doesn't hurt his recruiting, but I agree, the Dolph situation could.

I remember in high school my coach blew up at officials a couple times. It is a really good feeling. I had never really thought back to that before. It makes even more sense to me now how much the Iowa players love it.

There are a number of coaches that get hot, and get into the officials...including Izzo. But when Fran does it, he looks like he's out of control. Anybody else have the same perception? Last night would be an example.

I have seen a lot worse out of Fran and a lot worse out of other coaches. Coaches get T'ed up. It happens. I think Fran has softened a bit.

The T, however, was ill-timed to say the least. It was still theoretically a game.

I have seen a lot worse out of Fran and a lot worse out of other coaches. Coaches get T'ed up. It happens. I think Fran has softened a bit.

The T, however, was ill-timed to say the least. It was still theoretically a game.
It was a soft ass call.

If the Big Ten refs don't want their asses chewed out, maybe they should start officiating at even an average level conference-wide.

As for Fran, while he can be fiery, he's nowhere near as much of a "hothead" as he's made out to be. This was his first T of the year, and he hasn't been tossed in 5 years, near the beginning of his tenure. He's calmed down a lot.

Agreed. At least half the coaches are hot heads. Many work the officials harder than Fran does. Love that Fran sticks up for his team and is passionate about the Hawks!

I watched the game and early on the tv cameras were on the OSU coach and you could clearly read his lips. Right in one official’s face he said “that’s a bullshit call” three times. No T. Probably not an uncommon eve.

If you think potential recruits even know who Gary Barta and Gary Dolphin are you are clueless. Non Iowa fans have already forgot about the Dolphin story. Nobody cares.

Recruits care about playing for a good team with a good coach in a good conference and a cool stadium and facilities and cool jerseys and good academics. They do not care about the AD or radio guy.

OK, I didn't see it. I'll take your word.

I am curious how you'd describe screaming "You're a cheating MF!" at a ref as not losing your temper. If that's what happened.

He didn’t lose his cool or go on a tirade during the game. I don’t agree with what he allegedly did but it was after the game but it was done in the tunnel not heard or seen by the fans. Unlike the antics and verbal abuse by the OSU coach to the refs during the game.

He got tossed at Marlyand last year. But he had legitimate reasons to be upset that night. His players were getting mugged, elbowed in the head, stood over, on and on.

If you think potential recruits even know who Gary Barta and Gary Dolphin are you are clueless. Non Iowa fans have already forgot about the Dolphin story. Nobody cares.

Recruits care about playing for a good team with a good coach in a good conference and a cool stadium and facilities and cool jerseys and good academics. They do not care about the AD or radio guy.

Couldn't agree more. Perhaps there may be a parent that might have this as a question when meeting with the coaches and touring the university but outside of that, nothing... If anything they will see that the University and Learfield to have zero tolerance for racial bias. BTW...I think Dolphin got screwed on this one but in the end the comment he made needs to be talked about at every university that offers a degree in broadcast journalism. There are mine fields that need to be understood. Period.

A recruit looks at how he connects with the players in the program, the system and if there is support from coaches. One thing I think every Hawkeye player appears to agree with is that Fran supports them and will not back down from his support.

Latest posts