Recruiting stuck in Neutral?

longtimer

So where is this recruiting year going? I keep seeing all these commitments for other Big Ten teams and even Iowa State has picked up momentum. I realize we have maybe 8 but not a real impressive bunch. We aren't Ohio State that seems to pick up a couple 4 or 5 star daily but after a couple of pretty good years this one seems to be shaping up to not be so great? Maybe we have a bunch of good prospects ready to pull the trigger but I haven't heard that? I'm not seeing us in on any running backs which I would guess to be a high priority?
Anyone out there have any info or insights as to what is happening?

Long way to go kids are still taking visits. Yeah it'd be nice to have closer to 13-14 of em locked in. It's too early to pull the panic card on this yet. Way too early the 8 they do have are pretty darn solid. The QB is a bit of a fall back recruit. We wanted the guy that picked MSU of all places. So there's that. But again it's too early to be bashing the class just yet.

Reactions: DJL
I'm at least getting to a level of moderately concerned. We are losing battles left and right to lesser schools. Maybe it seems worse because they're all coming in short succession. Keller, Riley-Ducker, Stokes, Carter, and if you believe rumors, Deyo. All of these kids from our "big recruiting weekend" are all opting to play somewhere else other than Bostick. Our current commits would look right at home in Norway.

Stay calm everyone. Ask yourself, what would JBo say?

I'm at least getting to a level of moderately concerned. We are losing battles left and right to lesser schools. Maybe it seems worse because they're all coming in short succession. Keller, Riley-Ducker, Stokes, Carter, and if you believe rumors, Deyo. All of these kids from our "big recruiting weekend" are all opting to play somewhere else other than Bostick. Our current commits would look right at home in Norway.
Someone shit in Kirk’s pool. That’s why those visitors are going elsewhere

Someone shit in Kirk’s pool. That’s why those visitors are going elsewhere
I,m not the least bit worried. We are stock piling massive amounts of talent! An off year (and I dont believe this IS an off year!) wont hurt us at this point.

Yeah, Campbell and crew are doing something right on the recruiting trail, and are going to be a problem as long as he sticks around. The Hawks have been pretty much guaranteed to get 2/3 of Iowa's best h.s. players over the years, but it appears those days are gone, and that will have a long-term impact.

Keller to ISU. Riley-Ducker is committing to Auburn on Thursday. Carter to MSU. Stokes not 100% sure other than I know it's not Iowa.
ISU, Auburn and MSU are not exactly lesser schools, despite Sparty's recent lull.

If we start losing out to MAC schools and MVC schools that would be a different story.

ISU, Auburn and MSU are not exactly lesser schools, despite Sparty's recent lull.

If we start losing out to MAC schools and MVC schools that would be a different story.
You must be one of those objective honest Iowa fans. Most of those on here wouldn't dare say anything as nice as that about ISU.

I do agree with you on this. Some folks seem to be losing their minds but our TE room is stacked already. The top 4 guys all have multiple yrs of eligibility remaining to use. Plus the couple more on roster so if some 4 star kid is expecting to walk in to play early and often they'd be mistaken. The NE kid didn't give NE the time of day I think he just wanted to get out of the midwest and Auburn sold him a bill of goods. I bet they are who Barnes was refering to by his negative recruiting tweet a week ago. The kid that picked ISU probably saw a faster path to playing time.

True, but thats precisely what drives the Ferentz detractors nuts. When he's consistent, critics think he should be aiming higher. When he has a 2015 type season they lament that he's putting all his eggs in one basket.

If Dean Smith were coaching in this day and age people would be trying to run him out of town. DEAN FREAKING SMITH. Because the same system that led to consistent greatness was, in some eyes, preventing him from stepping up when the lights were brightest. It took him seven trips to the final four before he finally won his first natty. And in those years you had to win your conference or be top two just to make the NCAA's, let alone make seven final fours.

Wouldn't have mattered in this day and age, nor would it have mattered that a hall of fame coach like John Wooden, Al McGuire or Bobby Knight was usually the one blocking his path.

I'm in no way comparing the two coaches. I'm just pointing out that in the modern day society that demands instant gratification, consistency is almost a dirty word. It would hurt Smith today more than it did in the sixties and seventies and it definitely hurts Kirk today.

Two words come to my mind.........Brian Ferentz.

Reportedly the second most mentioned name associated with the mistreatment of blacks and he's still with the program. That gives our competitors enough ammo to weave a web of concern in the minds of some recruits. I would guess the Tyler Barnes tweet of a couple weeks ago about the amount of negative recruiting he's observing this year would reflect some subject matter involving BF.

The sky is not falling but we are losing some recruiting battles we would usually win. Let's see where we end up at the finish line.

Wow That would be a huge loss for Iowa 247 has had him going to Iowa for some time. From Neutral to reverse for Iowa recruiting
What about this" FryIowa"
With Deyo, there are academic concerns that he might not be able to get into Iowa right away.

Some good news….Chris Kingsbury’s kid Carter is joining the hoops team as a preferred walk-on

Latest posts