Recruiting stuck in Neutral?

He was projected earlier going to Iowa This thing is gaining steam in the wrong direction
Early to evaluate the long range impact but one has to be concerned
Players like him are out there. Keep in mind his HS career was spent playing the likes of Pekin, Cardinal, and so forth. The competition wasn't even at Mid Prairie or Durant level. This is even smaller than what Wienke came from and he couldn't adjust. We know very well that some great players come from small schools, but it is a rather small group. He went to IL with a coach that will be similar in recruiting and development to KF. Don't sweat this one. Do sweat the lack of skill positions.

I know I am going to get a lot of angry responses here, but let me start of by saying I am Black and a former Football Player, proud to be from the state of IOWA! so please hear me out on the (imho) issue.
From what I know 1st hand and understand via personal playing experience, is that the one of the biggest issues for recruits and families is that, while Iowa City is a great town, there is the issue of feeling a bit like your on an Island, you come in as a black athlete and other than the football team, you see very few folks like you, your family looks at the Awesome women's basketball team and there are 1 maybe 2 black girls on and even though they win A LOT, a black MOM says, why aren't there anymore on the team? same for cheerleaders, (ask your self when was the last time you saw a black female cheerleader? ) and I know for a fact there are really good black women basketball players and cheerleaders in Des Moines. Same for Volleyball) only one or 2 on the team. Families think, who is taking care of my child? who has their back when their sport is not in season?
The woman's football Academy ? really good stuff there but again look at the pictures
who is there? now sure, there are time, distance, and financial concerns but again the perception is there.
So for recruits and their family's they see the whole picture, and with other recruiters in their ears about Racial issues, the perceptions grow !! On a sun drenched Saturday the camera pans the crowd and you very rarely see anyone of color (that's not IOWAS fault) but what the HAWKEYES CAN control is in their "TV Ads" they really need to be more diverse in showing student life! this fall watch them and see how few non athlete black students they show, its a small thing but, one can see how it adds to the perception. I am so proud to be from IOWA and I know 1st hand there are jerks and idiots everywhere, but most folks believe way more of what they see than what they hear. Hiring a black head coach just because he / she is black is not 100% the answer, its also about the percentage on the teams, WE should strive to have a good balance that's where you can focus a change that nets good results quickly. We have great coaches and fans at Iowa but the school has gotta show em Who we really are. We are not a bunch of racist hicks We ARE Great People and Fans who care!! The school should shout it from the rooftops and make every effort to "put it out there"
GO Hawks!!

I know I am going to get a lot of angry responses here, but let me start of by saying I am Black and a former Football Player, proud to be from the state of IOWA! so please hear me out on the (imho) issue.
From what I know 1st hand and understand via personal playing experience, is that the one of the biggest issues for recruits and families is that, while Iowa City is a great town, there is the issue of feeling a bit like your on an Island, you come in as a black athlete and other than the football team, you see very few folks like you, your family looks at the Awesome women's basketball team and there are 1 maybe 2 black girls on and even though they win A LOT, a black MOM says, why aren't there anymore on the team? same for cheerleaders, (ask your self when was the last time you saw a black female cheerleader? ) and I know for a fact there are really good black women basketball players and cheerleaders in Des Moines. Same for Volleyball) only one or 2 on the team. Families think, who is taking care of my child? who has their back when their sport is not in season?
The woman's football Academy ? really good stuff there but again look at the pictures
who is there? now sure, there are time, distance, and financial concerns but again the perception is there.
So for recruits and their family's they see the whole picture, and with other recruiters in their ears about Racial issues, the perceptions grow !! On a sun drenched Saturday the camera pans the crowd and you very rarely see anyone of color (that's not IOWAS fault) but what the HAWKEYES CAN control is in their "TV Ads" they really need to be more diverse in showing student life! this fall watch them and see how few non athlete black students they show, its a small thing but, one can see how it adds to the perception. I am so proud to be from IOWA and I know 1st hand there are jerks and idiots everywhere, but most folks believe way more of what they see than what they hear. Hiring a black head coach just because he / she is black is not 100% the answer, its also about the percentage on the teams, WE should strive to have a good balance that's where you can focus a change that nets good results quickly. We have great coaches and fans at Iowa but the school has gotta show em Who we really are. We are not a bunch of racist hicks We ARE Great People and Fans who care!! The school should shout it from the rooftops and make every effort to "put it out there"
GO Hawks!!
The points you make are good. Fry will move this one or nuke it. It reads a bit like a decade or so ago when someone pawned themself off as Kevin Kunnert on another forum. There haven't been many black players from IOWA. The line "we are not a bunch of racist hicks" likely is a giveaway here. If I'm wrong, my apologies, but I'm in doubt of the authenticity.

The points you make are good. Fry will move this one or nuke it. It reads a bit like a decade or so ago when someone pawned themself off as Kevin Kunnert on another forum. There haven't been many black players from IOWA. The line "we are not a bunch of racist hicks" likely is a giveaway here. If I'm wrong, my apologies, but I'm in doubt of the authenticity.
No apologies needed, I'm legit... I was born in Des Moines and played HS and college football in not at IOWA but the perception remains the same... Both my folks had questions during recruiting...and my experience was as I described. This however, is not about me... this is about perception, roster balance in all sports and the university using social media to show the actions are not just words in the struggle to combat the ongoing identity issues that exist, because if if you add all the aforementioned small issues together, they can can over shadow all the great work our Coaches are doing, and That remains the issue!
Lastly, as for the line," we are not a bunch of racist hicks' I include myself, because.
as I said, I am Proud to be an IOWAN as well.

No apologies needed, I'm legit... I was born in Des Moines and played HS and college football in not at IOWA but the perception remains the same... Both my folks had questions during recruiting...and my experience was as I described. This however, is not about me... this is about perception, roster balance in all sports and the university using social media to show the actions are not just words in the struggle to combat the ongoing identity issues that exist, because if if you add all the aforementioned small issues together, they can can over shadow all the great work our Coaches are doing, and That remains the issue!
Lastly, as for the line," we are not a bunch of racist hicks' I include myself, because.
as I said, I am Proud to be an IOWAN as well.
I"m curious if you will be sticking around or just making a point. I don't disagree with the point though.

I"m curious if you will be sticking around or just making a point. I don't disagree with the point though.
I've been around, but don't post much... ... other folk's posts are much more entertaining lol, when a few of them get to going with the back -n- forth... over small stuff, wow! now that's entertainment!!! lol ha ha
Appreciate your perspective...and your point of view
Go Hawks!

Anyone who cannot follow your logical, honest post, and then go on the attack about what you said, should take a hard look at themselves. Thanks for your contribution.

GO Hawks!!
Iowas demographics just are what they are. I mean 90% white 4 % black.. Is what the state is I believe. So yeah the perception being what it is along with the realities is a bad combination going against them.

The school could do themselves some favors by having current and former minority athletes to do some promotions for the school. Guys like AJE Clayborn Brad Banks Desmond King Tristan Wirfs just to name a short few. I would think they'd go out of their way to do something if asked. I've only heard them speak glowingly of Iowa in the past and KF. It wouldn't be an end all be all fix but it'd be something

Iowas demographics just are what they are. I mean 90% white 4 % black.. Is what the state is I believe. So yeah the perception being what it is along with the realities is a bad combination going against them.

The school could do themselves some favors by having current and former minority athletes to do some promotions for the school. Guys like AJE Clayborn Brad Banks Desmond King Tristan Wirfs just to name a short few. I would think they'd go out of their way to do something if asked. I've only heard them speak glowingly of Iowa in the past and KF. It wouldn't be an end all be all fix but it'd be something
Good points and very well stated, if I may, the point you may have missed is WE all know those numbers so.. you have have to create opportunities for people of color from Des Moines, Chicago, St Louis, KC.....ECT remember the movie Rudy? kids were taking a trip to see ND .. not football or basketball players .. just regular students. who could be in band, Drama, Student government, cheerleading, (not to minimize them, it takes talent and hard work to be a part of them) but what if there were free day trips? for SRs and Jrs. who are making the grades... Iowa City is a wonderful place and Iowa, (the school, offers a ton of great degree programs) but if you never get a chance to see the school, take a tour, see 1st hand what a great place it can be how can you consider it? all you go by is the perception.. again there is that word. Iowa the University needs to reach out to a wide range of diverse students, rich/ poor black /white/ native that they are wanted AND needed at IOWA ....then watch the word spread!!
Last point. I think , (key word think) Stanford offers free Tuition for minorities (with a good GPA) and I know, University of New Mexico offers 4 year Tuition for anyone, Black White Native, etc. who keeps a B/C average from like 3 grade on. Can Iowa Do that?
All I'm saying is, we have a lot of opportunities that are being missed, but we have great Coaches in place, that the kids would love to play for!! So balance the student population .. balance the rosters and watch the perception begin to change.
As Always Go Hawks !!

Good points and very well stated, if I may, the point you may have missed is WE all know those numbers so.. you have have to create opportunities for people of color from Des Moines, Chicago, St Louis, KC.....ECT remember the movie Rudy? kids were taking a trip to see ND .. not football or basketball players .. just regular students. who could be in band, Drama, Student government, cheerleading, (not to minimize them, it takes talent and hard work to be a part of them) but what if there were free day trips? for SRs and Jrs. who are making the grades... Iowa City is a wonderful place and Iowa, (the school, offers a ton of great degree programs) but if you never get a chance to see the school, take a tour, see 1st hand what a great place it can be how can you consider it? all you go by is the perception.. again there is that word. Iowa the University needs to reach out to a wide range of diverse students, rich/ poor black /white/ native that they are wanted AND needed at IOWA ....then watch the word spread!!
Last point. I think , (key word think) Stanford offers free Tuition for minorities (with a good GPA) and I know, University of New Mexico offers 4 year Tuition for anyone, Black White Native, etc. who keeps a B/C average from like 3 grade on. Can Iowa Do that?
All I'm saying is, we have a lot of opportunities that are being missed, but we have great Coaches in place, that the kids would love to play for!! So balance the student population .. balance the rosters and watch the perception begin to change.
As Always Go Hawks !!
Yes most all adults know or have an understanding of the demographics. It's the youngsters from FL GA TX and other places that have little to no comprehension of it until they experience it. And as a white guy that grew up on a small farm in NW Iowa I had the reverse effect. I hadn't been around minorities literally at all (minus a few foreign exchange students) till my senior year of HS when we'd moved to Des Moines. And that was a culture shock for me. I wouldn't pretend to say it's as drastic or anything like that. Most of my teachers were all still white that year and I went home to my family in a mostly white neighborhood. To a small different effect I get how day 1 somewhere new as a youngster can be around folks that are different.

College universities are more diverse then the cities they are in for the most part. Are there public numbers for how the school is diversified to see? I'd be curious to know. Of all the numbers and stats that had came out during that last yr about Iowa the one that really bummed me out was the graduation rate amongst the minorities on the football team over KFs tenure. I don't have it in front of me but it sure wasn't good. I think they've began addressing that but that'll take time.

It's always been a challenge to recruit to UI with some years being more difficult than others for a variety of reasons. Outside of the uncontrollable (demographics and location) I believe some of the barriers that inhibit Iowa's recruiting success at times trace back to Kirk's approach / philosophy on what he wants to see with his program and most of these have been around for Kirk's entire tenure.

Hard to argue much with his success on the field over time but when it comes to attracting and landing more talent Kirk has created some recruiting barriers on his own in my opinion.

The Iowa model isnt for everyone the wait 2 or 3 years bulk up and become an all conference player. Now with NIL these players want to play right away so they can start making some serious cash. Add in the fact that Iowa is a really young team and your going to have slow years in recruiting. I have no doubt though that Iowa will be just fine.

Just to let everyone know we have the second most recruits in the country for the 2023 class.
The Iowa model isnt for everyone the wait 2 or 3 years bulk up and become an all conference player. Now with NIL these players want to play right away so they can start making some serious cash. Add in the fact that Iowa is a really young team and your going to have slow years in recruiting. I have no doubt though that Iowa will be just fine.

Latest posts