Recruiting stuck in Neutral?

Wow That would be a huge loss for Iowa 247 has had him going to Iowa for some time. From Neutral to reverse for Iowa recruiting
What about this" FryIowa"
Backstory about Deyo is his grades are not good and Iowa wanted him to go the juco route for a year to see if you could improve his grades kinda like what Nixon did, Deyo did not want to go that route.

are Deyos grades really an issue?
They are. He was higher on Iowa after his visit to ISU, but Iowa wanted him to wait for his summer grades and he didn't want to wait. But, it’s not for sure he gets into ISU either from what I’ve heard

Last edited:
Pretty good piece sizing things up thus far...................

Just read an article in SB Nation pretty much describing Iowa's recruiting for 2022 as really sub par. 7 commits and many losses of recruits especially tight Ends to the likes of Iowa State and Auburn
Sounds like we cant find anyone to recruit at RB which I think could be a position in big need next year. Apparently the racial problems are having a big impact. Im guessing Ferentz's age isn't helping.
Doesn't sound like we have much of a chance of turning it around this year so likely to be a real down year. Big question is it a one year problem or the beginning of a downward trend? Clearly we have problems and coupled with the emergence of an Iowa State program there is plenty to be concerned about

To put lipstick on this pig I think there's a way to salvage it with 2 words. Transfer Portal. If we use that right we can cherry pick a RB. We've recently done it with that kid we got from Nevada a few yrs ago. RB isn't a worry of mine. Would it be nice to find another Goodson? hell yes but RBs aren't impossible to find. Long story short we can have a stinker of a class so long as we plug whatever holes we need well enough with transfers It's not ideal but the sky isn't falling either.

I don't even bother following FB recruiting. No matter what the class looks like on paper, you know this staff is finding gems. That's not even a remotely bold assertion, look at the last 2+ decades under Ferentz, it's like clockwork.

Maybe you missed the downturns correlated with Iowa recruiting. The margin of error is thin. Iowa manages to put together teams when are good which are 75 percent of a playoff team. They fill in with marginal players that are solidly coached and KF also manages to start a couple that are not even P5 talent. When things go south, KF starts more of those types. Not good news.

Anyway you shape it the reputation is coming home. KF said some of the right words and still seems disconnected when he needed to be stellar to fend off some losses. Awhile back he didn't even participate in an article on the asst coach who was trying to bridge the gap.

Marcus Carr or Austin Ash?
Kofi Cockburn or Austin Ash?

Maybe you missed the downturns correlated with Iowa recruiting. The margin of error is thin. Iowa manages to put together teams when are good which are 75 percent of a playoff team. They fill in with marginal players that are solidly coached and KF also manages to start a couple that are not even P5 talent. When things go south, KF starts more of those types. Not good news.

Anyway you shape it the reputation is coming home. KF said some of the right words and still seems disconnected when he needed to be stellar to fend off some losses. Awhile back he didn't even participate in an article on the asst coach who was trying to bridge the gap.

To be absolutely honest, by far the biggest margin I've ever noticed with regards to the football program is the margin that exists between reality and the expectations of a healthy % of the fanbase.

Laughery is going to be Illinois. That recruiting weekend…yikes. That was a lot of their primary targets I think

To be absolutely honest, by far the biggest margin I've ever noticed with regards to the football program is the margin that exists between reality and the expectations of a healthy % of the fanbase.
But I'm not wrong based on the NFL placements. In the downturn years as mentioned, there was a drop off in recruiting. Iowa can't change the history. Without getting Fry worked up, the initial response was pretty good, but maybe not stellar. Now it has drifted away from the spotlight which is likely a goal. Iowa needed to be forefront and proactive with PR. There simply aren't teams that I can tell that have so many good players coming out with the results. Flipping a few top hidden gems and a few gems to the mediocre has exponential reductions in success. Iowa needs an outstanding season this year.

Laughery is going to be Illinois. That recruiting weekend…yikes. That was a lot of their primary targets I think
He was projected earlier going to Iowa This thing is gaining steam in the wrong direction
Early to evaluate the long range impact but one has to be concerned

I think its official now. Iowa has a recruiting problem.

KF may have to seriously think about retiring at the end of the season. Iowa may need to hire a black head coach to turn this around.

Two words come to my mind.........Brian Ferentz.

Reportedly the second most mentioned name associated with the mistreatment of blacks and he's still with the program. That gives our competitors enough ammo to weave a web of concern in the minds of some recruits. I would guess the Tyler Barnes tweet of a couple weeks ago about the amount of negative recruiting he's observing this year would reflect some subject matter involving BF.

The sky is not falling but we are losing some recruiting battles we would usually win. Let's see where we end up at the finish line.
You left out the guy who over saw them.

They are. He was higher on Iowa after his visit to ISU, but Iowa wanted him to wait for his summer grades and he didn't want to wait. But, it’s not for sure he gets into ISU either from what I’ve heard
There isn't much dif between Iowa and ISU and neither are tough entries by standards. We aren't talking NW Baylor MI, OSU, Wisconsin, Texas, IL standards.

I asked Deyo about the rumor/speculation that grades/academics are the reason he chose ISU:

"I mean yeah (he's heard the rumors), but I have I chosen to ignore it because it’s just a waste of my time. If they want to take time out of there day to hate on 17/18 year-old kids, then that’s on them not me. It’s whatever, honestly. They can hate all they want, it’s not gonna change the person I am."

Take that FWIW.

I will say I wouldn't expect a flip to Iowa no matter what happens before signing day.

And please don't take this post to other boards to further perpetuate the conversation about the grades of high school kids that haven't been confirmed. Thanks.

Last edited:

Latest posts