Really need Northwestern to win tonight

Boy, is this a fallacy. All it means is that Northwestern swaps with another bubble team. The team the Wildcats jump to make the NCAA is in the NIT. Iowa has to win. Whether Northwestern wins or loses is irrelevant to Iowa's chances for the NIT. I don't know why people think that if Northwestern makes the NCAA it opens up another spot in the NIT. It doesn't. Northwestern just switches spots with Cincinnati, for example.

what it does due is make Minnesota less likely to go to the NIT, which potentially does open a spot for Iowa.

Boy, is this a fallacy. All it means is that Northwestern swaps with another bubble team. The team the Wildcats jump to make the NCAA is in the NIT. Iowa has to win. Whether Northwestern wins or loses is irrelevant to Iowa's chances for the NIT. I don't know why people think that if Northwestern makes the NCAA it opens up another spot in the NIT. It doesn't. Northwestern just switches spots with Cincinnati, for example.

This....Iowa just needs wins.

I'd just rather see NW lose.

I disagree.

B1G is the top conference in the NCAA, the NIT is going to take at least 1 B1G team. If there is only 1 NIT bid then I want that bid to be Iowa. I think NW winning places them into the dance and pushes Minnesota down. Iowa just beat Illinois who finished 2-12 to end the season but beat Iowa once, it is iffy Iowa gets in over Illinois. If Minnesota loses how do you make a case for them to be in the NIT over Iowa? Yeah they got a bunch of wins but over a bunch of nobody's.

It doesn't work that way. Obviously, you didn't understand my post.

It doesn't work that way. Obviously, you didn't understand my post.

I completely get it, evidently you did not read mine or understand it.

There are only so many NIT at large bids, and they becoming less and less with every mid major upset. I cannot recall a time the NIT did not take a B1G team, they for sure not going to pass on everyone in the B1G this year being the strongest conference. Minnesota beating NW almost guarentees them a NIT bid along with NW, Iowa is probably the odd man out. But if NW wins they get into the NCAA and perhaps Iowa gets picked for the NIT over Minnesota.

I completely get it, evidently you did not read mine or understand it.

There are only so many NIT at large bids, and they becoming less and less with every mid major upset. I cannot recall a time the NIT did not take a B1G team, they for sure not going to pass on everyone in the B1G this year being the strongest conference. Minnesota beating NW almost guarentees them a NIT bid along with NW, Iowa is probably the odd man out. But if NW wins they get into the NCAA and perhaps Iowa gets picked for the NIT over Minnesota.

But bubble teams either on the NIT or NCAA are either going up or down regardless. They aren't going to take additional spots, they are moving between NCAA or NIT... not taking additional spots. If NW wins, they go to the Dance and then someone that was ''IN'' is now in the NIT.

But bubble teams either on the NIT or NCAA are either going up or down regardless. They aren't going to take additional spots, they are moving between NCAA or NIT... not taking additional spots. If NW wins, they go to the Dance and then someone that was ''IN'' is now in the NIT.

I get that Spank but now you've got Minnesota that finally beat someone and has 19 wins. They get into the NIT over Iowa.

I get that Spank but now you've got Minnesota that finally beat someone and has 19 wins. They get into the NIT over Iowa.

Iowa...
Swept Minnesota.
Has 4 more quality wins.
Finished ahead of Minnesota in B1G standings.
Has a much better L10.

I still like Iowa over MN.

Iowa...
Swept Minnesota.
Has 4 more quality wins.
Finished ahead of Minnesota in B1G standings.
Has a much better L10.

I still like Iowa over MN.

I know you like them but will the NIT committee like them? We have seen the NIT pass over Iowa before for a team with a better overall record, even though Iowa beat them in the regular season. It was Alfords last year at Iowa, Michigan got into the NIT over Iowa.

It's really all about Minnesota losing. All of the stats Storm cites are correct but they don't change the fact that Minnesota was ranked about 30 spots higher in the RPI than Iowa before today's game. NITology had them as a 7 seed and Iowa out but on the bubble a couple days ago. A loss today could flip that.

The last four out of the NCAA get the top four seeds in the NIT. Then the teams that won their conference regular season but did not make NCAA tournament because they didn't win the conference tournament get bids.

After this there are usually between twelve & sixteen spots available. They take the best teams available to fill those spots regardless of conference.

Of note, you do not have to have a winning record to make NIT. However, with this format the worst teams to make the NIT have been two games above five-hundred.

100% true and it's not up for debate. Win tomorrow and we play in the postseason. Lose and we are done

It's not up for debate? Really? Disagree. You may very well be right, but there's a chance you're wrong. Hopefully the Hawks beat MSU and we don't have to find out.

It's not up for debate? Really? Disagree. You may very well be right, but there's a chance you're wrong. Hopefully the Hawks beat MSU and we don't have to find out.

I agree with your last sentence.

Do any of you know the nit criteria? Anyone? We won't get it if we lose tomorrow. We won't even be on the bubble.

As for the CIT or CBI, no big 10 team has ever competed in either tournament and I doubt we will be the first

Latest posts