Reality Check: Where Exactly is Iowa Basketball on the Improvement Meter

The observation which has caught my attention re: Iowa's BB program:

How quickly a program can spiral south, and, how difficult/time-consuming it can be to right the ship and head back north.

When you win you can recruit high school All-Americans. You lose, you get guys nobody else wants. How was Lute able to get the players he had when he was at Iowa. Not saying we can't win with White, Marble etc, but to win a conference and make any movement in the NCAA tournament we will have to recruit bigger, faster and more talented players. 3-ball won't win conference tournaments

LUTE - LUTE- LUTE
78066-330-0.jpg

When you win you can recruit high school All-Americans. You lose, you get guys nobody else wants. How was Lute able to get the players he had when he was at Iowa. Not saying we can't win with White, Marble etc, but to win a conference and make any movement in the NCAA tournament we will have to recruit bigger, faster and more talented players. 3-ball won't win conference tournaments

LUTE - LUTE- LUTE
78066-330-0.jpg

Lute was able to recruit Chicago and landed a huge recruit in Ronnie Lester. Kenny Arnold, Kevin Boyle, Special K. There was another kid not inner city named Greg Boyle who was hampered by bad knees. Lute was recruiting stellar players by the end of his 3rd year?

If I'm not mistaking Michael Payne and Greg Stokes were BB recruits and the Mr Basketball of both states.

Lute did not inherit a very good team. You all can disagree what you want, but I do believe the biggest concerns are:

Incoming recruits aside from last year's 2 big ones.

Knowing there are youth problems, the only true really fundamentally strong player right now is May. I'm not a Lick fan, but he did know how to develop fundamentals. One of the moves Basabe made under the basket was the worst post move I think I've ever seen in B1G basketball. We are not seeing these fundamentals get better as the season progresses. I'm hoping Iowa isn't becoming known as scrum basketball.

Woody was about the only one who actually could set picks against IU. The picks were absolutely atrocious.

Lute was able to recruit Chicago and landed a huge recruit in Ronnie Lester. Kenny Arnold, Kevin Boyle, Special K. There was another kid not inner city named Greg Boyle who was hampered by bad knees. Lute was recruiting stellar players by the end of his 3rd year?

If I'm not mistaking Michael Payne and Greg Stokes were BB recruits and the Mr Basketball of both states.

Lute did not inherit a very good team. You all can disagree what you want, but I do believe the biggest concerns are:

Incoming recruits aside from last year's 2 big ones.

Knowing there are youth problems, the only true really fundamentally strong player right now is May. I'm not a Lick fan, but he did know how to develop fundamentals. One of the moves Basabe made under the basket was the worst post move I think I've ever seen in B1G basketball. We are not seeing these fundamentals get better as the season progresses. I'm hoping Iowa isn't becoming known as scrum basketball.

Woody was about the only one who actually could set picks against IU. The picks were absolutely atrocious.

Along those lines, is Aaron white ever going to learn to be solid with the basketball? He never grabs the ball with 2 hands and his lazy passes will make someone pull their hair out and he does it ALL THE TIME.

Along those lines, is Aaron white ever going to learn to be solid with the basketball? He never grabs the ball with 2 hands and his lazy passes will make someone pull their hair out and he does it ALL THE TIME.

Help me out here. How can you throw White under the bus like you are when, if you look at the 9 guys that get most of the minutes (Marble, White, Basabe, May, Ogelsby, McCabe, Gessell, Woodbury, and Clemmons), White is 3rd best in turnovers per minutes played as follows: May .035, Oglesby .037, White .053, Basabe .062 and so on. Agree he had a horrible game (turnover wise) against Indiana, however, your criticism is way out of line when you say "ALL THE TIME".

Help me out here. How can you throw White under the bus like you are when, if you look at the 9 guys that get most of the minutes (Marble, White, Basabe, May, Ogelsby, McCabe, Gessell, Woodbury, and Clemmons), White is 3rd best in turnovers per minutes played as follows: May .035, Oglesby .037, White .053, Basabe .062 and so on. Agree he had a horrible game (turnover wise) against Indiana, however, your criticism is way out of line when you say "ALL THE TIME".

I think you both are right. He throws way too many nonchalant passes but doesn't necessarily turn it over with those passes. He misses shots when he is trying to draw fouls, which are not turnovers statistically but are turnovers in effect. He could use to have a better mindset in terms of protecting possession of the ball.

I think you both are right. He throws way too many nonchalant passes but doesn't necessarily turn it over with those passes. He misses shots when he is trying to draw fouls, which are not turnovers statistically but are turnovers in effect. He could use to have a better mindset in terms of protecting possession of the ball.

Yet he leads the BIG in going to the line and is top 10 in the nation in doing so. But somehow that turns into a "turnover in effect". Wow. Just wow.

Yet he leads the BIG in going to the line and is top 10 in the nation in doing so. But somehow that turns into a "turnover in effect". Wow. Just wow.

White and Marble are the least of Iowa's concerns. Just think if Iowa had a dynamic player for Marble and White to play off of. White especially would flourish if Iowa had a player who could break down the defense and get to the lane at will. White would get so many dunks/garbage points.

Iowa has a lot of really good complementry pieces. They struggle at times because they have a bunch of complimentry pieces who have holes in their game and can be stopped.

I think Fran has done a great job of getting very good complimentry pieces. He is on the road to getting that true difference maker. You have to win games to start getting those difference makers to take a look at your program.

Oglesby = 4.8 ppg (shooting like dog-crap, won't argue that)
Clemmons = 4.4 ppg
Woodbury = 4.8 ppg
McCabe = 6.0 ppg
TOTAL = 20.0 ppg

Not exactly zero offense.

Maybe this is why Fran insists on playing 10 guys: Iowa'd miss out on 20 points, otherwise...

...Had half the games we had late game leads where the other team hits a game winner/tier we win and comfortably set for the NCAA... Problem is, he is in the toughest conference in the country. We are competing against the best teams in the country. we are getting better. All come back except May. We getting player in Uthoff that may be the best on the team from reports. I can't wait for next season. I have enjoyed this one.

I diasgree with the bold. I think, if it's possible, only 2 of the best teams in the country are in the B1G: Indiana, sometimes Michigan, and sometimes MSU.

...Lute was able to recruit Chicago and landed a huge recruit in Ronnie Lester. Kenny Arnold, Kevin Boyle, Special K. There was another kid not inner city named Greg Boyle who was hampered by bad knees. Lute was recruiting stellar players by the end of his 3rd year?...

I watched Kevin Boyle many times... Me, and my buds used to call him Kevin 'brick' Boyle. IMHO, JO shot the ball better. Some dopey sports announcer(s) called him Special K.

Last edited:
I watched Kevin Boyle many times... Me, and my buds used to call him Kevin 'brick' Boyle. IMHO, JO shot the ball better. Some dopey sports announcer(s) called him Special K.

Ya he was bad. Shot over 50% his soph and jr years on 536 shots. Glad the Hawks today are doing better. Ave over 10 pts per game for career.

Btw, Special K stood for Krafcisin not Kevin

Latest posts