Realistic Weiskamp Expectations?

We still won't be able to stop anyone. As long as Fran's the coach our defense is going to suck. The best thing Fran could have done is to hire a defensive coach like John Beilein did this past off-season, and all that did was get them to the national championship.
We'll see. Can't be worse than last yr. I think some coach shuffling would be a good thing too. Not sure we're going to get any though..

We still won't be able to stop anyone. As long as Fran's the coach our defense is going to suck. The best thing Fran could have done is to hire a defensive coach like John Beilein did this past off-season, and all that did was get them to the national championship.

Our defense hasn't always sucked since Fran's been our coach, so there's at least that glimmer of hope it won't always suck as long as he is coach right? And yeah, I think every HC would go hire a defensive assistant coach like John Beilein in the off-season if they could.

Our defense hasn't always sucked since Fran's been our coach, so there's at least that glimmer of hope it won't always suck as long as he is coach right? And yeah, I think every HC would go hire a defensive assistant coach like John Beilein in the off-season if they could.

Our defensive philosophy has always sucked. We've always left guys wide open for 3's, it's just a matter of them knocking it down. We've had better talent on the floor before prior to this year to compensate for the game plan, but the game plan has always sucked.
In terms of the defensive assistant, most P5 teams aren't ranked in the mid 200's in defensive rating and have a job still, let alone run it back with all of the assistants. Beilein won the BIG tourney last year and went to the Sweet 16 and still had the balls and mindset to make necessary changes to improve.

A realistic expectation is that there will be unrealistic expectations for Joe. Luckily, the way he's wired, he can handle it and will work to get better no matter the outside noise.

Do most of us think he's starting day 1? I think he will along with JBo, and Moss. I think Baer will be back to coming off the bench. With Garza and hopefully Cook. That group should have plenty of offensive firepower and Joe shouldn't have a ton of pressure to be the 'man' and carry the O by any means. I think he'll get his share of open looks and will have some great games but also have some tougher ones like any true freshman will.

Do most of us think he's starting day 1? I think he will along with JBo, and Moss. I think Baer will be back to coming off the bench. With Garza and hopefully Cook. That group should have plenty of offensive firepower and Joe shouldn't have a ton of pressure to be the 'man' and carry the O by any means. I think he'll get his share of open looks and will have some great games but also have some tougher ones like any true freshman will.

With that lineup, he should be able to score at the rim and get some easy looks from outside. The perimeter D will need to account for JBo and Mossand he will be the 3rd shooter. I expect him to be freshman all B1G

With that lineup, he should be able to score at the rim and get some easy looks from outside. The perimeter D will need to account for JBo and Mossand he will be the 3rd shooter. I expect him to be freshman all B1G
The best part of that lineup is there's 4 shooters on it. Cook would be the weak link in that regard. Gives them a lot of flexibility on what kind of offense to run. All sorts of different pick and roll combinations. I just hope they all can improve defensively. Forcing more TOs and just keeping the other team out of the paint would be a huge start in that regard. I can live with the other team hitting 3s with a hand in their face. It's giving up easy layups and wide open jumpers that just can't continue.

A realistic expectation is that there will be unrealistic expectations for Joe. Luckily, the way he's wired, he can handle it and will work to get better no matter the outside noise.
If anything after starting this thread it seemed like expectations were relatively low. A lot of posters didn’t think he would start or play more than 15 minutes a game. Maybe it’s because of our poor season last year that nobody wants to be optimistic about anything or maybe it is because he is a kid from Iowa who has been committed for so long.

I think starter and near double figures scoring is a reasonable expectation for a kid as highly rated as Joe.

The thing I am hoping for is that Joe will ( I am not saying he is Peter Jok ) open JBo up like he was as a freshman , take some pressure off of him so that both guys can do what they do , on offense .......... defense , hopefully Fran has been studying up on that portion of the game to help his players out , if not we are going to have to score .......... A Lot

If anything after starting this thread it seemed like expectations were relatively low. A lot of posters didn’t think he would start or play more than 15 minutes a game. Maybe it’s because of our poor season last year that nobody wants to be optimistic about anything or maybe it is because he is a kid from Iowa who has been committed for so long.

I think starter and near double figures scoring is a reasonable expectation for a kid as highly rated as Joe.

It's May. Let's see where they are in October, especially after he lights it up in the PTL, which he will.

It's May. Let's see where they are in October, especially after he lights it up in the PTL, which he will.

Rob- you watch these recruits more and big ten basketball as anybody. I’d be interested in your take on what you think would be realistic expectations for Joe?

Rob- you watch these recruits more and big ten basketball as anybody. I’d be interested in your take on what you think would be realistic expectations for Joe?

JW is a skilled, fundamentally sound player who's a pretty good athlete. He has an excellent starter kit to being an all-Big Ten level performer down the road. While he's got length, he's going to need to get quite a big stronger. And the first time through the Big Ten is a grind for most guys.

I'm interested to see how he performs with higher level players. He was far and away the best player on his high school team. He had strong talent in his AAU squad with Houser and Chang but this will be different.

Statistically, it's hard for me to say. If Cook comes back, he's the No. 1 go-to option on offense with Bohannon being 1A. Garza needs shots. So, is JW option 4 ahead of Moss assuming those are your five starters? Maybe he's 5 behind Moss?

At any rate, JW is a guy with a well-rounded game who will complement others. He can rebound, handle the ball and dish off if he's not the main option in a given lineup. He doesn't need the ball in his hands all the time to be effective.

Defensively, he's solid. He'll go through some growing pains against the better wings in the conference until he gets stronger and quicker.

Joe reminds me a lot of Kevin Huerter from Maryland.

JW is a skilled, fundamentally sound player who's a pretty good athlete. He has an excellent starter kit to being an all-Big Ten level performer down the road. While he's got length, he's going to need to get quite a big stronger. And the first time through the Big Ten is a grind for most guys.

I'm interested to see how he performs with higher level players. He was far and away the best player on his high school team. He had strong talent in his AAU squad with Houser and Chang but this will be different.

Statistically, it's hard for me to say. If Cook comes back, he's the No. 1 go-to option on offense with Bohannon being 1A. Garza needs shots. So, is JW option 4 ahead of Moss assuming those are your five starters? Maybe he's 5 behind Moss?

At any rate, JW is a guy with a well-rounded game who will complement others. He can rebound, handle the ball and dish off if he's not the main option in a given lineup. He doesn't need the ball in his hands all the time to be effective.

Defensively, he's solid. He'll go through some growing pains against the better wings in the conference until he gets stronger and quicker.

Hey, you stole my player comparison! But I agree Sam Hauser at Marquette and Charles Matthews at Michigan are two others he reminds me of.

I've said the same thing for the past year, regarding the Huerter comparison. Huerter's #s: 15/5/3.4

I've said the same thing for the past year, regarding the Huerter comparison. Huerter's #s: 15/5/3.4
Yes but more like Huerter from his freshman year. 9.3/4.9/2.7.

Like Rob said it’s all about his role. If Cook returns we don’t need a ton of scoring from him so 8-10 seems reasonable. With no cook that could jump to possibly 12.

11 and 6 for JW and the Hawks are a 4 seed, playing at the Well to open the Big Dance (if Cook comes back). You heard it here first.
I could be wrong but I don’t think 4 seeds get the geographical home court advantage? I thought you had to be a 1 or 2 seed for that. Does anyone know?