Realistic Weiskamp Expectations?

Wagner and Pemsl basically split starting 2 years ago and then Garza and Nunge came in last year and took a good chunk of their minutes and basically all of Uhl's. Garza specifically started the majority of the season.

If you don't think Fran is willing to play Joe 20 minutes a game for a team that struggled mightily at the wing spots a year ago, you're either not seeing the whole picture after a poor season or simply in denial. Hell just replacing Brady's minutes is 11mpg.

Now, what will his actual stat line look like? That's a tough one to gauge for any incoming freshman. Pemsl, Daily, Baer, and Nunge all averaged 5-6ppg last year. I would think Joe is already ahead of all of them offensively so I think 10ppg could be reasonable.

I’ll guess that he starts at the 3 and averages around 10 points a game.

Cook will be leading scorer assuming he returns. I could see JBo, Moss, Garza and Joe all averaging around that low double digit mark.

That would be about 55 with Cook averaging 15.
Need about 25 from the bench and that would be 80 points a game.

Connor - 3
Dailey- 5
Baer- 6
Nunge- 6
Kriener- 5

Checked and we averaged 79.7 last year. This team should be better so these guesses might be a little low.

Okay, I am concerned that Cmac might get more minutes than he deserves just like the next guy but that really has nothing to do with Joe.

Fran has played tons of freshman big minutes in his time here. Some of you guys are so far off your rockers it’s hard to have a sane conversation.

Fran has his faults but I don't think he's going to favor his son and over-play him at the expense of team success. If nothing else, lack of team success means bad things for his future, although we all know he won't be fired before July 1 of 2019.

Fran has his faults but I don't think he's going to favor his son and over-play him at the expense of team success. If nothing else, lack of team success means bad things for his future, although we all know he won't be fired before July 1 of 2019.
Hard to say until we actually see for ourselves. It certainly seems like he’s recruited in a way to leave a thin backcourt so there is ample room for Connor.

I just read that Joe is the highest rated recruit we’ve landed (per rivals) since 2003. He is ranked 41 in the final rankings, Tyler Smith came in at 43. Our next closest guard is MG at 100.

What are your personal expectations for Joe? For me personally I expect Joe to be a starter if not right out gate by conference play. I expect him to average 10+ PPG and shoot the 3 above 36% and FTs above 75%. Now I’m not sure what to expect on defense which is clearly more important. Are my expectations too high, too low, or just right?

2nd string to either Pat or Connor all 4 years, minimal effect, smell like pine sol.

I think a realistic expectation for JW as a Freshman would be around 10 points per game. If you look at Iowa Freshman under Fran that played significant minutes....Basabe, White and Jordan averaged 11 as a Freshman, Cook averaged 12.

Also, if Cook returns, JW is coming into a situation where there's already a lot of scoring returning. There won't be as much of a need for JW to provide instant offense the way there was when Cook and Bohannon came in as Freshman. I'll be just as happy if JW provides solid defense and rebounding than pure scoring

Wow a little surprised to read the thoughts on Joe but very interesting. Our best recruit in the last 15 years and guys aren’t expecting much for minutes or an impact. If he isn’t going to get many minutes we must have some talent here.

I think some people just have some built up negativity from last year. I think Weiskamp averages 10-12 PPG and starts from day 1. Baer back to the bench and you have an immediate upgrade. IMO you'll see him score over 1500 points.

You should expect top 50 recruits to have an immediate impact. He can do a lot of things very well. Travis Hines of the Ames Trib also writes for iowapreps and covers AAU. He has loved Weiskamp for a long time.

What I think he's not going to do is greatly improve any sort of footspeed or defense, that's tough for a freshman regardless of skill level or rating.

While I think he improves the team, I'm not sure he makes a huge impact on the team deficiencies of last year, but he can only control so much.

I think some people just have some built up negativity from last year. I think Weiskamp averages 10-12 PPG and starts from day 1. Baer back to the bench and you have an immediate upgrade. IMO you'll see him score over 1500 points.

You should expect top 50 recruits to have an immediate impact. He can do a lot of things very well. Travis Hines of the Ames Trib also writes for iowapreps and covers AAU. He has loved Weiskamp for a long time.

What I think he's not going to do is greatly improve any sort of footspeed or defense, that's tough for a freshman regardless of skill level or rating.

While I think he improves the team, I'm not sure he makes a huge impact on the team deficiencies of last year, but he can only control so much.
They have a heck of a facility there in Ames for AAU basketball/volleyball. My daughter played there when she was fourteen. They even have suites where coaches can view the games through one way windows, like the windows grocery store managers have in their offices so they can watch the floor of their store.

I just think its important that people temper their expectations for JW's freshman year. Very few freshman come into college basketball and dominate. Last year not a single Big Ten freshman scored more than 12.5 ppg. The Freshman of the year Jaren Jackson Jr put up 11 points, 6 rebounds, 3 blocks per game.

Guess my point is that people expecting 15 points, 6 rebounds a game from JW in his first season at Iowa are probably being unfair and unrealistic.

I just think its important that people temper their expectations for JW's freshman year. Very few freshman come into college basketball and dominate. Last year not a single Big Ten freshman scored more than 12.5 ppg. The Freshman of the year Jaren Jackson Jr put up 11 points, 6 rebounds, 3 blocks per game.

Guess my point is that people expecting 15 points, 6 rebounds a game from JW in his first season at Iowa are probably being unfair and unrealistic.

My guess is the people with high expectations are going to be a lot easier on him than the people with low expectations. Positive people have high expectations and don't rip on players. Negative people have low expectations and do rip on players.

My guess is the people with high expectations are going to be a lot easier on him than the people with low expectations. Positive people have high expectations and don't rip on players. Negative people have low expectations and do rip on players.

I think you have too much faith in the internet. If he doesn't score 15 ppg next year it will be because of Fran's coaching, or the fact that he's white, or the fact that he's an Iowan and "played nobody" in high school. He'll immediately be labeled a bust and harassed on twitter constantly...etc.

That's more in line with how the internet works, sadly

I think you have too much faith in the internet. If he doesn't score 15 ppg next year it will be because of Fran's coaching, or the fact that he's white, or the fact that he's an Iowan and "played nobody" in high school. He'll immediately be labeled a bust and harassed on twitter constantly...etc.

That's more in line with how the internet works, sadly

JBo is a perfect example. He's surpassed every reasonable expectation for him but he gets a lot of heat.

I think 8-10 PPG is very reasonable. The two guys I often compare him to are Kevin Huerter and Sam Hauser. They were both in that range their freshman years. JW is a higher rated recruit than both those guys.

I’ll guess that he starts at the 3 and averages around 10 points a game.

Cook will be leading scorer assuming he returns. I could see JBo, Moss, Garza and Joe all averaging around that low double digit mark.

That would be about 55 with Cook averaging 15.
Need about 25 from the bench and that would be 80 points a game.

Connor - 3
Dailey- 5
Baer- 6
Nunge- 6
Kriener- 5

Checked and we averaged 79.7 last year. This team should be better so these guesses might be a little low.
Here would be my guess if Cook returns.

JBo - 11 (more distributing)
Moss - 10 (down from last year w/ less shots)
Weiskamp - 10 (kid will be good)
Cook - 16 (could be more if can stay out of foul trouble)
Garza 13 (this is relatively safe for him)

Nunge - 6
Dailey - 5
Baer - 4
Pemsl or Kriener - 4 (I think Nunge surpasses these guys)
Cmac - 3

Again, scoring was never the issue anyway, but having 5 guys that can score double figures in your starting 5 is not a bad thing.

I think he starts at SF and averages 10-12 points and 7-8 rebounds. His prolific scoring I think has overshadowed how monstrous his rebounding numbers were (13.5 rpg!). There were multiple games where he ended with 40+pts and 20+rbds. There's always a transition, but when he settles in and gets a feel for it, I won't be the least bit surprised if he turns into a double double machine. He also looks to have a good feel for the timing of blocking shots along the lines of Baer (but not quite Uthoff).

Here would be my guess if Cook returns.

JBo - 11 (more distributing)
Moss - 10 (down from last year w/ less shots)
Weiskamp - 10 (kid will be good)
Cook - 16 (could be more if can stay out of foul trouble)
Garza 13 (this is relatively safe for him)

Nunge - 6
Dailey - 5
Baer - 4
Pemsl or Kriener - 4 (I think Nunge surpasses these guys)
Cmac - 3

Again, scoring was never the issue anyway, but having 5 guys that can score double figures in your starting 5 is not a bad thing.

Fairly similar. Agree scoring was never an issue but if Cook comes back and with the addition of a top 50 recruit and all the guys a year older, we should still be better offensively.

I agree with Bryce that Joe won’t necessarily help on D but I do think Connor will and again all the guys a year older will result in better team D as well.

I’m excited for next year and we should be very balanced on offense as we are both predicting to have all 5 starters scoring double digits.

He will be on the All B1G freshman team averaging double digits and 5+ rebounds. This kid is athletic. He dunks with ease from 2 feet right under the hoop. He will be a good defender at the 3 by conference and a very good defender by his soph season. He’s going to block some shots. He looks like an A White that can shoot and with better handles.

How quickly he adjusts to having other players as part of the offense, finding his role and not doing too much will determine how quickly he will be successful. JBo did that amazingly quickly. I hope JW can too.

I expect something in the lines of Adam Haluksa / Robbie Hummel in terms of career production
I'd sign up for that in a heart beat. How soon does he get to that level I guess is the question and how much does he play/contribute day 1. I loved Haluskas game. I think Weiskamp and JBos games should mesh well. Along with Moss that can be a nice 3 guard lineup. Weiskamp got a ton of rebounds in HS I would like to hope he'll contribute in that area as well with us too. I like the idea of throwing him in starting lineup bringing Baer back off the bench. If Cook comes back and Garza manning the front line I think we should drastically improve next yr.

I'd sign up for that in a heart beat. How soon does he get to that level I guess is the question and how much does he play/contribute day 1. I loved Haluskas game. I think Weiskamp and JBos games should mesh well. Along with Moss that can be a nice 3 guard lineup. Weiskamp got a ton of rebounds in HS I would like to hope he'll contribute in that area as well with us too. I like the idea of throwing him in starting lineup bringing Baer back off the bench. If Cook comes back and Garza manning the front line I think we should drastically improve next yr.

We still won't be able to stop anyone. As long as Fran's the coach our defense is going to suck. The best thing Fran could have done is to hire a defensive coach like John Beilein did this past off-season, and all that did was get them to the national championship.