Realistic Weiskamp Expectations?

NikeHawk21

I just read that Joe is the highest rated recruit we’ve landed (per rivals) since 2003. He is ranked 41 in the final rankings, Tyler Smith came in at 43. Our next closest guard is MG at 100.

What are your personal expectations for Joe? For me personally I expect Joe to be a starter if not right out gate by conference play. I expect him to average 10+ PPG and shoot the 3 above 36% and FTs above 75%. Now I’m not sure what to expect on defense which is clearly more important. Are my expectations too high, too low, or just right?

There’s no way to even begin to guess. The kid has never come close to playing B1G competition. He’ll more than likely start because we have no depth, but as to whether he’ll make a splash you could just as easily blindfold yourself and throw a dart.

Good solid fundamentals. Assuming the following

Cook
JBo
CM
Moss
Garza

Nunge
Baer
JW
Kriner
Dailey

Combination of players leaving changes things, but Garza/JBo/CM are starting regardless. Kriner is getting time especially if Cook leaves.

He is probably not getting minutes at the expense of CM, JBo and Moss. Maybe Moss some.

Freshmen who played a weak schedule in HS and were THE team usually have major adjustments.

6 ppg.. 12 minutes. Cook and Moss leaving changes it to 17/18 minutes.

You have to start with the premise that FM is the coach.

I'd like to monitor his progress more in the intangibles than try to guess numbers, stats and percentages. He's gone up against BIGs his age in AAU ball but the upperclassmen in the conference are grown men by comparison. I presume he will get ample opportunity one way or the other.

Can he guard?
Will he be fearless?
Can he perform in the moment?

That's what I will be looking at.

You have to start with the premise that FM is the coach.
Fran has always played younger guys, he’s not like Kirk in that regard. This is the highest recruit we have ever landed. The other top guys, Cook, Garza, Woody, MG, all started from day one. Id be willing to bet anything JW gets more than 12 minutes a game next year barring injury.

Last edited:
There’s no way to even begin to guess. The kid has never come close to playing B1G competition. He’ll more than likely start because we have no depth, but as to whether he’ll make a splash you could just as easily blindfold yourself and throw a dart.
I’ll bite. He played on an AAU team that was one of the best in the entire country, he went to some of the best camps including beig voted an all star at the Top 100 camp. I think if anything being that he is from Iowa makes his ranking more impressive.

If Cook comes back, he will be our 2nd best player next year. He will also be the guy with the ball in his hands with at the end if clock situations. I'm thinking junior year Marble from day 1.

^^^^^^^^ Put me in this category I have no idea what to expect. He will get playing time, but I have no clue what his mental makeup is like.

If Cook comes back, he will be our 2nd best player next year. He will also be the guy with the ball in his hands with at the end if clock situations. I'm thinking junior year Marble from day 1.

Iowa desperately needs that type of guy, it would help out Jbo/Conner a ton if he is that guy. I am just not quite ready to anoint him as such.

Some high expectations. Instead of 15 ppg, I'd settle for 15 minutes a game with mistake-free defense, low turnovers and opportunistic scoring and make the open 3 and 80% ft's. THAT would be a wonderful FR season. Moss will be the man. JW isn't going to take many minutes from Moss or Baer. LEARN.

Wow a little surprised to read the thoughts on Joe but very interesting. Our best recruit in the last 15 years and guys aren’t expecting much for minutes or an impact. If he isn’t going to get many minutes we must have some talent here.

Wow a little surprised to read the thoughts on Joe but very interesting. Our best recruit in the last 15 years and guys aren’t expecting much for minutes or an impact. If he isn’t going to get many minutes we must have some talent here.

His last name doesnt begin with m and end with y.

His last name doesnt begin with m and end with y.
Okay, I am concerned that Cmac might get more minutes than he deserves just like the next guy but that really has nothing to do with Joe.

Fran has played tons of freshman big minutes in his time here. Some of you guys are so far off your rockers it’s hard to have a sane conversation.

Connor will get plenty of minutes, but I don’t think Patrick will be a starter. I’m sure he’s a good kid, but life dealt him a shit hand with the cancer thing. Before he was sick and got his treatments one could probably see him being a big contributor, but I have more experience than I care to think about with people who’ve been through chemo and radiation. Bodies just don’t rebound from that and it’s almost impossible to put weight on afterwards let alone build muscle.