RB Expresses Concern Over Iowa Running Schemes and Usage

This guy would look great in an Iowa uniform and would be an instant upgrade. Iowa NEEDS quality RBs in the worst way (if the Hawks had a quality RB last year, Jake R. would still be in Iowa City). The guy's comments make sense to me ... he doesn't want to be over-used. Fine. I imagine that finding situational carries/receptions for a guy like this would be welcomed by the coaching staff. Hope he's a Hawkeye when all is said and done!

Situational carries only gets you through a few games. After that everyone knows what's gonna happen when you are in. See example: Johnathon Parker

Would probably need to skip most practices to save himself for the games. Then he'd probably only want to suit up for the big games or nationally televised games. Doesn't sound like he'd be able to play at all if he got nicked up a bit....gotta save his best for the big leagues ya know. A real team player it seems....pass on the attitude.

Does kind of have that Allen Iverson feel to him, doesn't he. I do what I want to do.

He wants to be the focal point of the offense but doesn't want to run it 20-30 times. I took it that he wants all those touches but just doesn't want to run it between the tackles 20 times.

... because they never run between the tackles in the NFL.
wGv7rMjwTgI7QAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

Son, if you can't run between the tackles in the NFL, your not in the game.

A juco who's worried about his NFL future before he's played a down of D-1 football. We need to pass.He's a diva and like others have said he'll be hurt constantly because he won't take a hit right because he's worried about his future. Give me a kid who says he'll do whatever helps the team and after 30 carries says give me the rock.

His complaints are he would run the ball too much?

Do
Not
Want

This kid could never survive AIRBHG

What is funny is that plenty of people here would probably say we overused Weismann two years ago and some might say we ran him too much last year, though these complaints would be coming from the fact that he was more of a fullback. Before last year the coaches said they wanted to keep him fresh. I think a lot of people would probably like to have an offense that uses the tailback in multiple ways.

So, what you have here is a kid that said pretty much the same thing a lot of people here have said. The exception is that he made comments about going to the next level that seemed a little selfish on the surface and made them more than once in the same interview.

You know what? With the runningbacks we have had since Coker left, we can't afford to worry about what a guy says. We need solid running backs on the roster at this point and if the coaches will take him because he has talent then we had better be good with that. And if we have a shot at getting a really good runningback, we had better hope we get him. Now, I don't know if this guy is any good, but if he is...

He sounds full of himself. It's players like him that you want to stay away from. Sounds like a drama queen to me.

Who needs a self-centered, albeit, talented and athletic running back. Hawks are overflowing at the position with Plewa and Cox.

Sounds like a team first guy to me.... Pfff I bet Iowa isn't the only school that takes a pass on a kid with that attitude. I mean for crying out loud even if you feel that way you can't be dumb enough to share it can you? Every kid you have have on the roster you want to have them have the attitude that they are the man and want to play every snap they can get. Even if he turns out to be a stud I don't want that attitude in the locker room. Let him be someone elses problem. Sounds to me if he is good he will be 3 yrs and gone anyway. I'm not worried about missing out on him at this point at all.

Until he shows something on a D1 squad and that he can be a leader, I prefer for him to be seen...not heard. Run the ball, show something...THEN have an opinion, until then....meh.

maybe I am reading too much into the comments he made, they just seem ill advised.

Hope I'm wrong and he brings it in black and gold.

These kids man...geez.

He sure is full of himself. It also seems like someone else is taking a stab at negative recruiting. This past season, Iowa didn't run their backs 30 times a game as they have in the past. Someone is in this kids ear, talking Pro-style vs. Spread and how many times Iowa has a guy carry in a game.

He sure is full of himself. It also seems like someone else is taking a stab at negative recruiting. This past season, Iowa didn't run their backs 30 times a game as they have in the past. Someone is in this kids ear, talking Pro-style vs. Spread and how many times Iowa has a guy carry in a game.

Or he has eyes and watched a slow plodding fullback run into the backs of his lineman 20+ Times a game for the last 3 years.

What is funny is that plenty of people here would probably say we overused Weismann two years ago and some might say we ran him too much last year, though these complaints would be coming from the fact that he was more of a fullback. Before last year the coaches said they wanted to keep him fresh. I think a lot of people would probably like to have an offense that uses the tailback in multiple ways.

So, what you have here is a kid that said pretty much the same thing a lot of people here have said. The exception is that he made comments about going to the next level that seemed a little selfish on the surface and made them more than once in the same interview.

You know what? With the runningbacks we have had since Coker left, we can't afford to worry about what a guy says. We need solid running backs on the roster at this point and if the coaches will take him because he has talent then we had better be good with that. And if we have a shot at getting a really good runningback, we had better hope we get him. Now, I don't know if this guy is any good, but if he is...
This guy needs to be able to run inside and outside if he's going to be successful. In almost ant running game the majority of your carries are inside and off tackle. Breaking to the sideline and bolting for 20 plus yard runs is something that doesn't happen that often. If he doesn't run inside he'll never fool defenses so he can run outside.

Sounds like he will play for Florida next season, after two different JUCOs.
Thompson spent time at Nassau Community College before he played for Dodge City in 2014, and will receive his associate degree this summer, he told 247Sports' Luke Stampini ($), which could have allowed him to play FBS football this fall. But because of an SEC rule requiring him to spend three semesters at a junior college before being eligible, Thompson will apparently delay and play for Dodge City again in 2015, likely getting him to Florida in January 2016 with two years of collegiate eligibility remaining.

Latest posts