Ranking the B10 Football Helmets

HawkinGoferLand

This writer ranks 'em:

Ranking Big Ten helmets | sports.omaha.com

I would put Iowa ahead of Purdue, but what I found funny was this:

2. Nebraska – A clean, memorable look. That N is still a masterpiece of typography

13. Wisconsin – Let’s face it: The W looks like Clip Art.

I don't care for red and white for one, so they both lose points in my book, but Wisky and Neb helmets are very similar....yet the N is a "masterpiece" and the W is "clip art". LOL. They either both suck or not....

Most seem to think Michigan's helmet is cool, iconic, or whatever. But what if that helmet design was introduced for the first time today? You'd be hard pressed to find ANYONE who thinks it is remotely cool. Looks like my 3rd grader was doodling one day.... What makes them cool is the tradition of the program, not the stupid design....

Little known trivia fact: Forest Evashevski was a sophomore starter on the first Michigan team to wear the newly designed helmets in 1938 vs MSU.

This writer ranks 'em:

2. Nebraska – A clean, memorable look. That N is still a masterpiece of typography

I don't care for red and white for one, so they both lose points in my book, but Wisky and Neb helmets are very similar....yet the N is a "masterpiece" and the W is "clip art". LOL. They either both suck or not....

Yeah pretty funny. But the look can really grow on you per tradition. I'm sure a lot of non Big 10 fans think Penn States helmet look plan jane, but I like the simplistic look.

My favorite probably is Wolverines than hawkeyes of course.

The problem with the rankings is that they are not just looking at the helmets but the programs associated with them. Just because your team is a perenial power does not mean that you have a great helmet design. How can you put Nebraska so high and Wisconsin at the bottom when they are virtually the same helmet just with a different font. And for Penn State and Ohio State, come on, could their helmets be any more generic!

I don't know what it is about Penn State's helmets, but when they wear their all-white unis with the "plain" white helmet, I don't know that it gets any better in college football. That's not to say I am a fuddy duddy who only likes the plain stuff either...I might be one of the few people that love what Oregon (not all, but most! :)) does with their uniforms.

Someone should tell him the ANF stickers don't stand for "America needs Farming" but "America needs FARMERS".

Plus the article is from Big Red Today so of course they are going to put Nebraska #2 even if their helmet sucks.

I've always hated Wisky's cartoon helmet. The Illini at one time had the best helmets until the B10 went all nazi liberal.

This writer ranks 'em:

Agreed, IMO it would be similar to someone saying that they love the Hawkeye uniforms, but think the Steelers uniforms are tacky.

Yeah pretty funny. But the look can really grow on you per tradition. I'm sure a lot of non Big 10 fans think Penn States helmet look plan jane, but I like the simplistic look.

My favorite probably is Wolverines than hawkeyes of course.

Source: Big Red Today - Nebraska's best Husker coverage.

As much as I hate to say Nebraska's helmets are way better than Wisky. Iowa's of course should be number one in the conference and maybe the country. best original design in NCAA

My rankings:

1A: Iowa
1B: Michigan
3: OSU
4-12: Everyone else. The only one that maybe stands out from the rest is Purdue. Everyone else's helmets are basically blank or has a letter on the helmet.

Iowa
PSU
Nebraska
Michigan
Ohio State
Indiana
Illinois
Purdue
Minnesota
Northwestern
Wisconsin
Michigan State

Just for fun I googled "top college football helmets" Every list I looked at didn't have Nebraska listed, most had Iowa, Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State.

I don't dislike Nebraska's helmet, but the only people who find it classic call Nebraska their home.

Latest posts