Question - Press Coverage

WinOneThisCentury

Is it me, or have we been in press coverage more in the past two weeks than I can remember? So we start two freshmen corners and we are playing more press coverage and leaving these guys on an island. Phil Parker has some cojones to go that direction with true freshmen. I love the move...and it shows how much confidence he has in these two.

Just curious if any of you statistical types have been paying attention. I know since the two freshmen have started...I've been paying more attention...but I don't believe we have lined up in press as much as we have the past two weeks.

CB's are playing much closer. Coverage has been good, even with the two freshman. They just haven't completely learned when the ball is about to arrive.

I see it too. It's been a lot of years since we have had so many in the backfield, able to pass cover so well.

Is it me, or have we been in press coverage more in the past two weeks than I can remember? So we start two freshmen corners and we are playing more press coverage and leaving these guys on an island. Phil Parker has some cojones to go that direction with true freshmen. I love the move...and it shows how much confidence he has in these two.

Just curious if any of you statistical types have been paying attention. I know since the two freshmen have started...I've been paying more attention...but I don't believe we have lined up in press as much as we have the past two weeks.

@hawkeyegamefilm tweeted that Iowa blitzed on about 25% of defensive snaps (I think traditionally they have been more like 15%) and played a lot of press coverage last week.

It was similar against Minnesota too...much more press coverage. I wonder what gamefilm said about that game. I was impressed that Phil stuck to his guns against Minny when it was clear they were going after Moss. Like many...I thought the position our corners got in was great...they just didn't make a great play on the ball. Moss changed that with the interception in the end zone. Brents pick was textbook.

I think if Phil thinks he can get pressure on the QB, he's more willing to play the corners up...they have to cover for 2-3 seconds before the ball has to come out.

I like it.

DpkDvgOW0AA4oIZ.jpg

Just saw this and wasn't sure where to put it. Pretty impressive.

I now see why they are picking on Moss. I think Moss has played really well too. He's not getting beat and a few of the throws where he has been beat have been perfect, but he was right there.

I'm sure Maryland is trying to scheme to find out if our freshmen corners can tackle.

If teams are going to go to 3 step drop to avoid Iowa’s rush then we better be playing more press coverage.

Press coverage is a risk/reward proposition, but when comparing that to the eye discipline requirement that playing an "off" corner alignment, PP might feel it allows his guys to play faster and do less thinking. If you are playing off in our traditional cover 6 look, for example, there are different things you have to think about. Before the snap, you worry about WR alignment, motion, using that information to determine run fit, etc...then post snap you have to look for high hat/low hat (eye discipline), you have to pattern read WR's coming to your area, you have to work your technique within the framework of the overall defense. Alternatively, if you tell those 2 true freshmen that they need to just line up on their guy, press him and then run with him, there's very little thought involved, there is nothing that needs to be discerned from a run fit perspective, and other than the actual press technique, very little thought is required. Plus, as pure athletes, those guys are most likely the most instinctive when they are doing something that allows them to play fast, play what they know, and have been doing for a while (I'm making an assumption about their high school experience).

What it also says is that PP has a great deal of faith in those guys because in some cases, you are really putting them out there on an island. But they wouldn't be playing if the coaches hadn't seen something in practice that made them think that when the lights came on those guys could perform. They've done a great job so far.

Sometimes playing good defense against the passing game involves playing good/tight coverage, but not too risky, and putting pressure on the QB, but not too much that you expose lanes for the QB to run, or allow easy screens and dump passes. This allows the QB to overthrow, throw short, panic and bolt, get confused, fumble, etc. and also allows receivers to drop the ball, screw up their routes, etc.

This works quite often, amazingly so, but isn't as effective when you are playing a top flight QB with disciplined receivers. Then, more risk is called for at times.

Knowing when is the most important.

I think a lot of it has to do with being able to get pressure up front and disrupting the QB.

I can sum up why it's smart to play more press in that our Dline is what it is. When you can get quick pressure and make them throw early you'd much rather be pressing than laying off. With nobody obviously open at the snap make him hold it as long as possible and either way the results have been in our favor more often than not so far

Latest posts