Question on "Walk-Offs"

hawkeyebob62

I suppose I could make a poll, but that's not really my speed. But, since Rob's article on the "PSU-10-Years-Later" and accompanying thread, it got me wondering.

I was at the MSU game in 1985, the Michigan game in 1985, and the Cap One/Citrus Bowl in 2005. We have also witnessed several other walk-off/near-walkoff victories during the Fry/Ferentz Era.

I guess my question is multiple, and one stipulation: do NOT discuss walk-off losses unless you like getting kicked in the nuts continually!

1) What walk-off wins really stick in your memory, even if they weren't done with "zeroes" on the scoreboard clock?
2) Do you prefer walk-off TDs, FGs, or maybe even a defensive stop type of walk-off?
3) Do you view OT wins the same way you view regulation walk-off wins?

Personally, I love any walk-off win, but the one highlight I really like more than most is the Chuck Hartlieb-to-Marv Cook TD against O$U in 1987. Something about the desperation of it all, what with it being 4th-and-forever (I always forget, whether it was actually 4th-and-goal). It was practically a given that the Hawks were going to lose. Instead, they pull it off, and Earle Bruce ends up losing his job before the Michigan game. The other that really "chills" me is the Koehn FG against Pitt in 2015. 57. Freaking. Yards. I worry about walk-off FGs from 30 yards, but Koehn goes out and blasts one from WAY WAY out. Unbelievable.

I guess, in the end, there IS something about a walk-off TD, whether it actually occurs with all zeroes, or just no appreciable time, left on the scoreboard clock. The 1985 MSU and 2002 Purdue games had the defense actually preserving those victories to some degree. And of course, the Cap One was almost surreal. I sure didn't expect us to get a TD. Then again, I forgot the clock started after the false-start penalty was called when Tate spiked the ball. And the aforementioned O$U game actually had about six seconds left, IIRC.

Some defensive walk-offs for consideration: Wisconsin in 2003 and Minnesota in 2004. Both of those came down to one-final-play for each opponent. Wiscy was driving in terrible weather, and couldn't score at the the end. The Minny game was a missed FG, which "miss" was made possible because of Greenway stuffing Marion Barber III when the Gophers were trying to get good position for Rhys Vaughan to make the winning kick..

For OT walkoffs, the 2006 Syracuse game, aka The Stand, was pretty cool. Except, of course, we should never have been in that position. The 2007 and 2012 MSU wins in OT were also good, but both came in what would be crappy to--at best--very mediocre (2007) seasons. The 2000 OT against PSU was pretty awesome because it seemed to "launch" the KF Era in a manner of speaking. It showed that the program wasn't tanking further, but possibly improving. 2013 against NW was awesome, but mainly because of the Rudock-to-CJ Fed TD we scored before stopping NW on their possession. But again, given the nature of college OT, ALL wins in OT are, technically, "walk-off" of some sort.

Fire away!

Cap One Bowl. Mcnutt slant to beat MSU was close after.

The Cap One game looked to be another game where we mismanaged the game clock, so the shift in emotion from being upset to being thrilled was pretty extreme.

Many good ones already mentioned.

I prefer walk-off TD's. But I remember a few walk-off FG's

Long FG by Houghtlin to beat Minnesota (1986?)
Houghtlin FG against SDSU in 1986 Holiday Bowl.
Keading last second FG against TT in Alamo Bowl (2001?)
Duncan walk-off FG against Mich (2016)

Many good ones already mentioned.

I prefer walk-off TD's. But I remember a few walk-off FG's

Long FG by Houghtlin to beat Minnesota (1986?)
Houghtlin FG against SDSU in 1986 Holiday Bowl.
Keading last second FG against TT in Alamo Bowl (2001?)
Duncan walk-off FG against Mich (2016)

Kaeding's kick against TTech wasn't a walkoff. Tech received the kickoff and ran several plays including a hail mary into the endzone on the last play.

2014 Ball State

Down 13-3 to BSU in 4Q, Jake Rudock throws 2 TD passes in final 2:52 to lead Iowa to 17-13 comeback victory.

Edit: just kidding on this one. I don't think anybody remembers this victory fondly.

Each are seared in my memory. Difficult to select one over the others. But some of the best are
Iowa over Michigan in 85
Iowa over LSU 05
Iowa over Penn State in 08
Iowa over MSU in 09
Iowa over Michigan in 16

2014 Ball State

Down 13-3 to BSU in 4Q, Jake Rudock throws 2 TD passes in final 2:52 to lead Iowa to 17-13 comeback victory.

Edit: just kidding on this one. I don't think anybody remembers this victory fondly.
I remember that one being the start of the "CJ Beathard should be Iowa's starting QB" game. :) But I digress.

How about the 2010 against Indiana, when the Indiana reciever dropped the potential game winning TD catch on the last play of the game. Yaaay!

Only 3 walk offs stand out.

1. Cap One - to go from screaming at the TV about the clock to pure bliss when they scored was a major rush.

2, 85 Michigan - #1 ranking was on the line. I don’t think Iowa has been ranked #1 since.

3. The Murray kick - it felt like a turning point at the time and it was.

I will say the twin FG blocks against UNI stand out a lot for me. I was watching the game at a friend's place who had to race off at the end of the game to get to a wedding. We saw the first block, assumed it was over, and rushed out of the house. Got home to find out they had to do it again. Crazy.

How about the 2010 against Indiana, when the Indiana reciever dropped the potential game winning TD catch on the last play of the game. Yaaay!

Going back a ways...Iowa @ Indiana 1982. I was at a wedding and we got to the reception just in time to see the finish.

Last play of the game, Indiana with the ball just outside the goal line. They throw in the flat to the tight end...he catches it and turns toward the end zone (looks like the winning TD for sure)...Devon Mitchell comes up and puts a text book hit on him, wraps the legs and lays him down. Incredible 1-1 open field tackle to save the game.

Crazy...i was just typing the same thing. What a save
Remember what happened the next week, when I was at a wedding?

Iowa up on Illinois 14-13 late. Time running out. We must convert 3rd and 29 or punt the ball back to Illinois, who could then win with a field goal. Hayden calls a sweep to Phillips or Gill, who runs up Illinois sideline directly past a startled Mike White, and gains 29 and a half, good for an Iowa first down. Game iced, cue up the Beer in Heaven song.:)

Lots of good ones mentioned already. My personal favorite had to be the 2005 Capital One Bowl win against LSU. That will always be hard to top.

A close second for me would be the 2000 game against Penn State. We played them in Happy Valley and I wen to the game with some friends. Good game all the way through that ended up going to overtime. In the second overtime after Nate Kaeding put us up by 3 it was Penn State's turn. Ryan Hansen intercepted a pass to end the ball game. That was a game that started to show that the KF turnaround was working and we went on to beat a good Northwestern team the next week. And probably the most emotionally draining game I've ever been to but at least it was a good emotions.

Latest posts