Question on "Walk-Offs"

1982 in the same stadium, opposite end. Devon Mitchell tackles McNab at the one yard line as time expires. A loss might have meant no Peach Bowl that year. Huge win early in Hayden's tenure.

Awesome choice. And the folks at home almost missed it because TV was showing the damn MLB playoffs,IIRC.

Remember what happened the next week, when I was at a wedding?

Iowa up on Illinois 14-13 late. Time running out. We must convert 3rd and 29 or punt the ball back to Illinois, who could then win with a field goal. Hayden calls a sweep to Phillips or Gill, who runs up Illinois sideline directly past a startled Mike White, and gains 29 and a half, good for an Iowa first down. Game iced, cue up the Beer in Heaven song.:)

Eddie Phillips. And a frigging shoestring tackle saved it from being a TD. That game also featured a Tom Nichol pooch punt going out of bounds withing inches of the pylon. And Tony Eason was throwing Hail Marys for the last series for the Illini.

Cap One Bowl. Mcnutt slant to beat MSU was close after.

The Cap One game looked to be another game where we mismanaged the game clock, so the shift in emotion from being upset to being thrilled was pretty extreme.

Can't believe I forgot about 7-got-6!

I will say the twin FG blocks against UNI stand out a lot for me. I was watching the game at a friend's place who had to race off at the end of the game to get to a wedding. We saw the first block, assumed it was over, and rushed out of the house. Got home to find out they had to do it again. Crazy.

Forgot this one, as well. Maybe because I almost shi--er, I almost farted at the end. Yeah, almost "farted"!

Road Games: some where I've been in attendance that still stick with me ..........

at Columbus '87 ....Marv Cook pass......29-27
at Ann Arbor '90.....last minute Matt Rogers drive.....24-23
at Champaign '90.....IL ranked # 6, Nick Bell runs wild on the way to Rose Bowl season...54-28
at Columbus '91.....day after campus shooting......16-9
at State College '96.....Tim Dwight Day.......21-20
at Minneapolis Metrodome '02......the goal posts come down and are carried out.....45-21
at Miami Orange Bowl '10.......first major bowl win in a long time.....24-14

Outside of the obvious ones I'll toss these into the ring as well:

Dallas Clark vs purdue
2 blocked FGs vs UNI

Eddie Phillips. And a frigging shoestring tackle saved it from being a TD. That game also featured a Tom Nichol pooch punt going out of bounds withing inches of the pylon. And Tony Eason was throwing Hail Marys for the last series for the Illini.
I remember that punt. Absolute perfection!

Two other great "walk-off" defensive plays from yesteryear:

1. Kinnick's 70 yard punt late in the 4th quarter to seal a clutch 7-6 win over nationally ranked Notre Dame
2. Alex Karras late sack to seal 6-0 win over Ohio state, sending Iowa to the Rose Bowl

2005 capital one bowl is my choice for #1, as the range of emotions went from "what the Hell are we doing!?!?", to "WHAT THE HELL DID WE JUST DO?!!! Though the 7got 6 game is a close second, I remember being at the Waveland bar for that, and when McNutt caught the TD, there were people spilling out onto University screaming and giving drivers 5 fives. And while it wasn't a walk-off, I did like the end of the 2010 insight bowl, when everybody that was watching thought that Coker would get the ball, Stanzi rolls out and zips a pass to Hermann, our tight end who rumbled down to the one yard line, where we then ran out the clock. Loved it!

For me, there is one that stands above all others. Tate to Holloway!
After all these years, and watching the replay all these times, it makes perfect sense now. LSU was both confused and in the wrong defense. Watch #8 for LSU. He lets Holloway slip by because he thinks he has deep help. His responsibility, so he thought, was the ten yard square out to the outer edge of FG range. If Saban wanted to blitz, he couldn't because he didn't have the personnel on the field to do so. Another DB inexplicably double teams Chandler. It was like part of them thought it was man and part thought zone. So Holloway makes the catch but he's not out of the woods yet. But Hinkel, as he did his whole Iowa career, was Johnny on the spot. His block eliminated the last defender.

Last edited:
2005 capital one bowl is my choice for #1, as the range of emotions went from "what the Hell are we doing!?!?", to "WHAT THE HELL DID WE JUST DO?!!! Though the 7got 6 game is a close second, I remember being at the Waveland bar for that, and when McNutt caught the TD, there were people spilling out onto University screaming and giving drivers 5 fives. And while it wasn't a walk-off, I did like the end of the 2010 insight bowl, when everybody that was watching thought that Coker would get the ball, Stanzi rolls out and zips a pass to Hermann, our tight end who rumbled down to the one yard line, where we then ran out the clock. Loved it!

Waveland, the bar that had the directions to Ann Arbor on the wall behind the bar.....

Spent a lot of time at the Wave way back then.....

One of the best Hawkeye bars in DM

:cool:

After all these years, and watching the replay all these times, it makes perfect sense now. LSU was both confused and in the wrong defense. Watch #8 for LSU. He lets Holloway slip by because he thinks he has deep help. His responsibility, so he thought, was the ten yard square out to the outer edge of FG range. If Saban wanted to blitz, he couldn't because he didn't have the personnel on the field to do so. Another DB inexplicably double teams Chandler. It was like part of them thought it was man and part thought zone. So Holloway makes the catch but he's not out of the woods yet. But Hinkel, as he did his whole Iowa career, was Johnny on the spot. His block eliminated the last defender.

I watched that game with my daughter and we cheered wildly after that play. She was 11. We watched a lot of Hawkeye games.....

Earlier in the season we watched the slaughter at Arizona State where we lost 44-7. In the fourth quarter she asked me: Daddy, why are you still watching the game. I replied: Because the Hawkeyes might score, Honey.....

That was a great season despite the loss at Tempe. That win in the Citrus Bowl was one of the best in Hawkeye History.....

Damn

:cool:

Noah Fant caught a fly route in the endzone the play after Bosa was kicked out. Iowa never trailed again....but that was in the 2nd quarter. :rolleyes:

@Wisconsin 2003 is up there for me. Iowa was down 21-7 early and their D took over. Wisconsin got inside the 10 but Iowa knocked down a pass as time expired and won 27-21.

2003 is probably my favorite individual team of the KF era so I'm a little bias here.

There was also a great end of game goal line stand against Michigan in 2011 that I believe hasn't been brought up yet.

Harbaugh would have been crying for a penalty on all four plays!

@Wisconsin 2003 is up there for me. Iowa was down 21-7 early and their D took over. Wisconsin got inside the 10 but Iowa knocked down a pass as time expired and won 27-21.

2003 is probably my favorite individual team of the KF era so I'm a little bias here.
Yes to this! What a game that was. The weather was nasty that day too,

Outside of the obvious ones I'll toss these into the ring as well:

Dallas Clark vs purdue
2 blocked FGs vs UNI

Sorry, dude. Again...not a walk off. Purdue took the ensuing kickoff and had a potential game winning drive in progress before IOWA intercepted.

Latest posts