Question Of the Day: If the Hawks Win Out...

I can honestly see USC jumping Iowa, because they play 2 games after Iowa's season is over. They will move up in the human polls. They've done it before.

That's one thing I'm worried about in seeing the initial BCS standings...have our Wildcat friends from AZ played USC yet? We need to become the biggest Wildcat fans east of the Grand Canyon on that Saturday!

USC beaten by AZ - Kills their chances at overtaking us
AZ beating USC - Helps our strength of schedule immensely

Help us out, Cats!

1. Iowa 7-0
2 Penn State 6-1 away
3 Ohio St. 5-2 away
4 Wisconsin 5-2 away
5 Michigan St 4-3 away
6 Michigan 5-2 home
7 Minnesota 4-3 home
8 Indiana 4-3 home
9 Northwestern 4-3 home
10 Purdue 2-5 dont play
11 Illinois 1-5 dont play
Has there ever been a harder schedule in terms of teams played and where the game was in the history of the Big Ten. If Hawks go undefeated they will be in the title game!!!

fun to talk about NC, but I would be so happy for a 12-0 season, I would be on cloud 9 until next football season.

and somehow didn't play in the national title game and a one-loss team did, what would your reaction be?

Now, I don't think that would happen...I think the human polls would take care of it...BUT, some are speculating at this way too early juncture that it 'could' happen.

stuff happens......However, IF Iowa goes undefeated, I can't imagine them not playing in the NCG......However, the media will skewer Iowa/B10........until Iowa wins the NC game!

It would be the end of the BCS, or would force a very significant reconfiguration of the BCS selection method. The Big Ten has too much pull when it comes to bowl games.

However, the Big Ten is good for bowl destinations, but not good for TV ratings.

1. Iowa 7-0
2 Penn State 6-1 away
3 Ohio St. 5-2 away
4 Wisconsin 5-2 away
5 Michigan St 4-3 away
6 Michigan 5-2 home
7 Minnesota 4-3 home
8 Indiana 4-3 home
9 Northwestern 4-3 home
10 Purdue 2-5 dont play
11 Illinois 1-5 dont play
Has there ever been a harder schedule in terms of teams played and where the game was in the history of the Big Ten. If Hawks go undefeated they will be in the title game!!!

Pretty amazing when you put it out like this. Wow.

It would be the end of the BCS, or would force a very significant reconfiguration of the BCS selection method. The Big Ten has too much pull when it comes to bowl games.

However, the Big Ten is good for bowl destinations, but not good for TV ratings.

If the undefeated Big 10 champ is left out for a one loss team, I seriosuly doubt the BCS would last past the current contract.

Ironically, the Big 10 has been one of the biggest supporters of the current format.

I would have mixed emotions. Realizing that we probably wouldn't have to play USC in that situation would be nice; we would probably get a team like Boise St that we could handle pretty well. It would bring just as much exposure to the program as playing in the title game would (maybe more). It would hopefully keep another Big 10 team out of the BCS games (which would be great for our overall bowl record). It would also electrify our fan base, team, and coaching staff for next year (when we return 16-18 starters, depending how you look at it).
Still, I would probably sob myself to sleep for a few nights whimpering, "Why? Why?"

and somehow didn't play in the national title game and a one-loss team did, what would your reaction be?

Now, I don't think that would happen...I think the human polls would take care of it...BUT, some are speculating at this way too early juncture that it 'could' happen.

What would my reaction be.......I would be P!$$ed - as would the rest of the HawkeyeNation IMO!!!!!

I would have mixed emotions. Realizing that we probably wouldn't have to play USC in that situation would be nice; we would probably get a team like Boise St that we could handle pretty well. It would bring just as much exposure to the program as playing in the title game would (maybe more). It would hopefully keep another Big 10 team out of the BCS games (which would be great for our overall bowl record). It would also electrify our fan base, team, and coaching staff for next year (when we return 16-18 starters, depending how you look at it).
Still, I would probably sob myself to sleep for a few nights whimpering, "Why? Why?"

Oklahoma thought the same thing about Boise State a couple of years ago, and we all saw what happened. Just sayin.

Personally, If Iowa goes 12-0, it really doesn't matter to me where they end up playing. I know it'll be someplace warm - hopefully Pasadena, but my fear when it comes to that is that if it was the NC game that it would be against USC...in USC's own backyard. Call me crazy, but I think Iowa can compete with any team in the country (Florida, 'Bama, etc..), but I wouldn't like Iowa's chances against a motivated Trojan team. They might have a freshman QB, but they have 5 seniors on the o-line and a dynamite defense. If USC gets into the NC game, I would pick them to win against pretty much anyone.

If Iowa has to "settle" for the Rose Bowl on New Years against a team like Oregon....I think I could live with that.

All that being said, I suppose I would be a little miffed if Iowa runs the table and gets left out. Iowa playing for the NC is something that most of us have probably never seen in our lifetime, and might not see again.

Last edited:
R U Kidding, I would freak out, I'm old enough that this may never happen again in my lifetime. I would not want to be around me if this happens.

I think the odds are that if Iowa goes undefeated they will not be in the NC game. You gotta think at this point that Bama/Florida vs. Texas unlesss something strange happens. I also do not think a one loss team will make it to the NC game either!!! I also believe that if Iowa wins out they will jump Boise and Cincy in the BCS!!!

I would be furious, if we finish undefeated and a 1 loss team jumps us it would be the biggest controversy in BCS history. The BCS would be done for sure. I just hope the Big 10 finally wins the majority of the bowls games this year because I'm sick and tired of hearing about the SEC and the Big 12.

I think that if the Hawks go unbeaten they play in the NC game as long as Texas has a loss. It would come down to the winner of the SEC vs. Iowa. The national media wouldn't like it but I don't see how they could deny it. The Big 10 is one of the premier conferences in the nation although the competition has been down in recent history for the most part. If Iowa goes to the NC game and has a good showing by either winning or playing a tough game, then maybe the tide begins to shift in favor of the Big 10 again. If they go and get blown out then that would just add fuel to the fire and the Big 10 would be headed towards the ranks of the MAC in the nation view. IMHO of course.

I would probably just have a beer or 12, a good cry, then have a group hug with my wife and son, then move on.. Like I do with all my other problems.. :p

I'd be pretty ****** if it was Texas. the big 12 is horribly weak this year. People knock the big 10 for being weak but is the big 12 honestly any better when you look at it? All the teams are weaker than last year..........all the ones that matter anyway

Latest posts