Question Of the Day: If the Hawks Win Out...

I think it depends on HOW we get left out.

A few scenarios:

1. Iowa wins out but never climbs higher than 3rd in the BCS rankings because the SEC champ and Texas both finish unbeaten.

Fallout - moderate. We'll be like Auburn in 2004 - a 3rd unbeaten contender wishing there was a playoff.

2. Iowa wins out but never reaches #2 (or higher) because they were jumped over by a 1-loss team (USC, Miami, etc.).

Fallout - high. Iowa's schedule difficulty should avoid this, but "name brand" schools often get preferential treatment by voters.

3. Iowa wins out and finishes #2, but then watches another team jump them during conference championship weekend.

Fallout - catastrophic. This scenario is bound to happen to some poor Big Ten or Pac Ten school because they choose to end their seasons in November. The public meltdown that occurs in this scenario will be something to behold.

3. Iowa wins out and finishes #2, but then watches another team jump them during conference championship weekend.

Fallout - catastrophic. This scenario is bound to happen to some poor Big Ten or Pac Ten school because they choose to end their seasons in November. The public meltdown that occurs in this scenario will be something to behold.

Actually, don't lump the Pac-10 in with the Big 10 in that dept. USC plays 2 games after we end our season...one against UCLA and one against Arizona. USC is going to be given both those opportunities to rack up some voter points...but if they have 1 loss and we win out and they still jump us, catastrophic will only begin to describe it.

In order for us to state our claim we would have to win the bowl game we played first and probably will have to do so the way Utah beat bama last year. BUT and this is a BIG BUT, if that happens you better believe Deleny just may kill the BCS system by himself, because the big 10 has that much pull. And then if that happens the fans that have bashed the gonvernment for getting involved in sports will be praising them once they destroy the BCS and force a playoff.

I think USC is gonna lose to oregon state this weekend.
lets hope so cause everyone wants them to be up there in the top 5 of the bcs, just ask espn....they are all shocked that they were so low in the rankings, even though they lost to washington!!!

If Iowa goes 12-0 and USC jumps them into the BCS, I would call all five of our Congressmen and both our Senators (including Latham, King and Grassley) and demand they do something to correct that outrage! Of course, if it does end up that Iowa's the third of three undefeated teams and the SEC winner plays Texas, that is less of an outrage, but a bad deal either way. That might be the "other" nightmare scenario in CFB.

Of course I would be PO'd but at the same time I would be laughing and in general have a huge smile on my face. I was born in 1985 and being that this is the first time I have been in a position of even mentioning Iowa as the stand alone for the Rose Bowl bid, let alone Nation Championship game it would all just be surreal. Its all just too awesome to be in this position.

Solution: Go to a 10 person panel that ranks the teams throughout the season. Move poll release date to Wednesday so that the panel can fully evaluate the performances of the teams. They select the bowls at the end of the season. Done.

If Iowa was to go undefeated while they let a one loss team jump us, then that would mean the ESPN has control of who goes and who doesn't...Let's face it, it pretty much happens today...All the talking heads basically are making the judgement already that Iowa doesn't deserve to go...You hear it on Cowherd, Mike and Mike in the morning etc...it isn't just Iowa being affected by this...you can throw in Cincinatti and Boise St. as well. I am sorry the fact remains that USC lost to Washington...Washington people...

It'd blow my mind. After healing up, I'd then watch our second tier bowl game. Let's hope we win out and give it a shot though, I'm willin to take this risk.

Grab my baseball bat, plane ticket, and a change of underwear and I'd be on my way to Indianapolis....or wherever the NCAA office is located.

Cheer like crazy for the one loss team that jumped us, and hope we dominate in the Rose Bowl. That way we could at least get a split National Title.

I think it depends on HOW we get left out.

A few scenarios:

1. Iowa wins out but never climbs higher than 3rd in the BCS rankings because the SEC champ and Texas both finish unbeaten.

Fallout - moderate. We'll be like Auburn in 2004 - a 3rd unbeaten contender wishing there was a playoff.

2. Iowa wins out but never reaches #2 (or higher) because they were jumped over by a 1-loss team (USC, Miami, etc.).

Fallout - high. Iowa's schedule difficulty should avoid this, but "name brand" schools often get preferential treatment by voters.

This is exactly how I would feel under each scenario.

Latest posts