Question Of the Day: If the Hawks Win Out...

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
and somehow didn't play in the national title game and a one-loss team did, what would your reaction be?

Now, I don't think that would happen...I think the human polls would take care of it...BUT, some are speculating at this way too early juncture that it 'could' happen.

The only way that would happen, is if USC or Miami were to be the one loss teams. If Texas were to lose, they would not have enough quality wins to make up the ground in either the computers or the polls. There is no way that you will ever see two teams from the same conference play for the national championship. Eliminating the largest TV market from the BCS championship is not going to fly with an undefeated B10 team.

If Iowa wins out, I could see road wins against two 10 or 10+ game winners...and an 8 or 9 win OSU team...OSU would be common opponent...Iowa's SOS will be Top 25

I wouldn't be surprised because of the rep. the Big Ten has ala Ohio State the past few years. I don't think the Hawks would get passed up though. If there are only 2 undefeated teams, and Iowa is one of them, Iowa will go.

The SEC is a great conference, but they are only the "best" because the tell everyone they are. Big 12 is down, Pac 10 is so-so. People forget that Oklahoma has made it up to the top few teams each of the past few years, and they have been laying eggs too.

I would be furious and start writing letters to everybody involved. I would not watch the NC game. I would be hard but I wouldn't do it and I'd encourage other Hawks to not do so. Hopefully we could make a dent in the viewer ratings.

I would be happy with 12 - 0. I would hope that we wouldn't be so upset so that we would overlook the Rose bowl and get trouncd like some other teams in recent history.

I would be happy with 12 - 0. I would hope that we wouldn't be so upset so that we would overlook the Rose bowl and get trouncd like some other teams in recent history.

I agree. I've always wanted to go to the Rose Bowl and watch my Hawks. Yes it would sting a little bit that Iowa plays a perfect season only to get the bowl game one step below the NC game. But the Rose Bowl is a big time game and if Iowa wins that, we have plenty of ammo to fight the "we should get your respect" fight.

If that were to happen I could only hope that iowa would put on a good show and win the rose bowl in convincing fashion and hope for the #1 vote in the ap poll and a "split" national championship.

I would not be shocked...the perception of the Big 10 (large 11 as they call it in SEC country) is that we are slow and behind the times....bottom line is the SEC and Texas are in bed with "ESPN"....they will always get the advantage...the looks that the teams get that play into december is a negative for us....once you are done you are done....kind of out of site out of mind..if the Hawks can somehow pull this off, they deserve to play for all the marbles....odds are it won't happen....play one at a time and lets see.... by the way.....does anyone know what the Vegas odds are for Iowa to go undefeated??? Go Hawks!!!

I would be a little miffed, probably. But I would figure that early hiccup near loss to UNI did it to us. If we go 12 - 0 it's going to be hard to get me in a bad mood.

does anyone know what the Vegas odds are for Iowa to go undefeated??? Go Hawks!!!

Hawks were 10-1 to win it all. A buddy of mine put down a hundy and he's getting crazy.

My reaction would be to yell at the TV screen after the announcment, complain to my wife, dog and kids about how we need a 4-team playoff system, then go on about my day.

After that initial moment of anger, I'd then hope Iowa pounds the living daylights out of USC at the Rose Bowl to the point there is a controversy amongst the "experts" about who is the #1 team.

I would be fuming. I do not think it would happen. I think if we win out, with road wins at MSU and OSU, the human polls would catch up to the computers and Iowa would move up to #3...assuming Texas loses. And then to #2 after the SEC title game. No one wants to see a re-match of the SEC title game,and that leaves Iowa or one loss USC/Miami. I think USC is the only one with a realistic shot, but again, losing to Washington who is circling the drain now, really will hurt USC in the computers all season long. Even if they kept Iowa at #3 in the human polls, the computers will have them at #2,while the computers will ding USC back to #5 or #6 tops. As KF said, it has only happened once that an undefeated team has not made the big game..because two other undefeateds did...so this is just not gonna happen. Just win saturday,Hawks!!

There is a precedent for things like this to happen.

Personally I would be pi$$ed, just as the team would be. Actually, pi$$ed really doesn't begin to describe it. Incensed might be a better word...if Iowa goes undefeated and one of the top 3 finish with one loss and finish ahead of Iowa? ....I don't even want to think about it.

It would not surprise me.

I can honestly see USC jumping Iowa, because they play 2 games after Iowa's season is over. They will move up in the human polls. They've done it before.