Question For Ferentz Haters

So next week, we will see if Ferentz wants to do it "his way", or if he will actually play the guy who stresses the opposing defense more. I bet I know which guy Davis wants to play. Kirk, I'm not too sure about.

You know who Ferentz is going to start, don't you? We all do. It will surprise no one.

One thing CJ doesn't do is quit on the play so fast. Jake has come to develop a bit of a Jim Everett apprehensiveness. That type of behavior will lose your team's confidence quickly.

Lowdermilk was interviewed after the game and he said they really didn't do anything different in the 2nd half defensively, they just "played better." Remember, Kirk always says it's all about the execution.:D For the record, although I wish Ferentz would retire or be fired I don't think he's a horrible coach, just a very mediocre one who has not changed with the times. Kind of like the old guy who refuses to get a cell phone and still insists on using a rotary phone and rabbit ears on his TV.

As for the QB stuff, I don't think Rudock is a bad QB, I just think Beathard is better and gives them a better chance to win. As Miller said in his Instant Reaction, there are things CJ can do that Jake can't, but there isn't anything Jake can do that CJ can't.

This is about as well said, as anyone can put it!

Pretty confident that Jake will be the starter against Purdue.
We should build a solid 4th quarter lead, and only then, will we see CJ, when the game is in hand.

I don't ever remember QB controversies under Hayden.
Maybe 1988 with Hartlieg and McGwire?
We just seem to have them with Kirk, with the fans being 3-0, so far.

People love to dream of Iowa getting better. Nothing wrong with that except it tends to interfere with rational thinking. Jake is our QB and he will continue to be so. He was held out the 2nd half because he had a hip problem and KF was wanting to save him for Purdue. I think he would have turned it around if
he had played. He has more game experience and a good QB. If CJ plays and loses, all this talk would change quickly. We are Iowa. We have to have team efforts. One guy will not be able to do it all.

If Riddick is actually hurt, then Kurt won in spite of himself, because Beathard, whose presence did in fact determine the outcome, never would have seen the field. So Kurt is either lying, or he's a lucky idiot. I hope it's the former, but let's remember that this is the guy who played McCann over Banks and had gut feelings about Jake Snakeburner. So it's prolly the lucky idiot theory that's correct.

theres no QB controversy for anyone possessing functioning vision and critical thinking skills.

First off all I'll say that Beathard played one heck of a play and that there officially is a quarterback controversy in Iowa City. I don't agree with those who say that if Rudock was playing the second half that we would have been blown out of the house mainly because Rudock barely had the ball enough to make anything happen in the 2nd quarter because our defense couldn't get off the field.

Finally my question to all your lovable Ferentz haters (said in a sarcastic tone). Do you think any halftime adjustments were made and possibly could've been a major reason why the hat.

It's about results, I suppose. The coaching staff made some great halftime adjustments. One of them was playing CJB.

Rudock can make most of the plays. Problem is he doesn't think he can make most of the plays... and the rest of the team doesn't think he can make most of the plays. It's a confidence thing for Rudock and the rest of the team. We see (with their actions) who's the offensive leader of this team. It's CJ. The last half also proves Davis' offense isn't too difficult to execute.

Maybe Rudock is one of those practice players. Ones that are lights out in practice but when the game is on...

Last edited:
We should build a solid 4th quarter lead, and only then, will we see CJ, when the game is in hand.

We'll find out soon enough this week. I hope it doesn't play out as you've described. Its sad that as fans we've been put through this several times, but I will give KF credit that he did ultimately make the correct choice in the previous situations. We can only hope that his "gut feeling" this time is not over shadowed by his stubbornness!

When Ferentz starts Rudock at Purdue (maybe this reverse psychology will work..), I think I'll sue the university for any stress related condition I'll receive because every ball game is so close and aggravating... and we won't see a blowout, so we won't see CJ Beathard.

We've got to hope there's some sort of insuperable internal pressure put on KF from elsewhere on his football staff to start CJ. I'm guessing it's happened before with the Christensen situation? What caused Ferentz to switch to Stanzi?

Last edited:
The thing I noticed most was the offense seemed to have extra pep when CJ came in. It felt like they collectively felt 'finally'.

I do think CJ made a couple plays Rudock probably doesn't

It is possible the outcome could have been the same with JR

IF this is the case...there are ten guys on the O side of the ball that need to be replaced.

Someone made the comment to me that Powell seemed to make "extra" effort on the one-handed catch and "probably" wouldn't have done it for a JR-thrown ball. Really?

If that is the case, I don't WANT someone like that on the team. 100% every play.

That said, there was definitely a difference when CJB entered the game. As long as both he and JR are healthy, I feel fine about the team's prospects.

After all, one COULD argue the play from CJB to Powell was as much on the Pitt D and their coordinators. Did they REALLY think we'd go into a cocoon because starting QB got hurt, especially down 10 points?

If jake starts there is zero chance we have a big lead.

CJ was the difference yesterday. CJ has a much Confidence, a quicker release, poise and best of all a cannon for an arm. The biggest play of the game yesterday was a play JR couldn't make or atleast shown he can't make. The big 3rd down play in 4th in which Pittsburgh brought some pressure and CJ was able to stay poised, take the hit and deliver a strike. Result was 1st down Iowa and rest is history, 24-20 Iowa!

First off all I'll say that Beathard played one heck of a play and that there officially is a quarterback controversy in Iowa City. I don't agree with those who say that if Rudock was playing the second half that we would have been blown out of the house mainly because Rudock barely had the ball enough to make anything happen in the 2nd quarter because our defense couldn't get off the field.

Finally my question to all your lovable Ferentz haters (said in a sarcastic tone). Do you think any halftime adjustments were made and possibly could've been a major reason why the second half was all Iowa? Or was it the sudden and enlightening appearance of Beathard as he leapt onto the field while Kirk tried to hold him back?

Just a simple question for those who think they know football better than those who actually get paid to coach it.

I think KF finally woke up and gave GD a free reign. GD has never been the problem.

Ferentz had mostly a nice game... I'll give him credit. He rode the hot hand, he went for it on 4th down multiple times.

He played to win and I commend him... I just have that dooming feeling that he will jump back into his OCD/conservative bunker.

I hope it continues.

Laughable post. Iowa is lucky as hell not to be 0-4. 0-4 against a VERY weak schedule.
Ferentz and coaching staff have done a miserable job at best.
Personnel decisions, play calling, and clock management have been really bad. Only an injury to our starting qb kept Iowa from losing at Pitt.

UNI is 1-2. (UNI penalized themselves right out of the game)
Ball State is fricking horrible. They are 1-3 with a 7 point home loss to Indiana Sate.
ISU is bad, really bad and will probably win 3 games at most this season. (funny how a coach at N.Dakota State making a couple hundred thousand a year can figure out how to route ISU in Ames but our 3 million dollar man can't figure out how to beat them in Iowa City.)
Pitt has a pretty good team. (again, had our qb not gotten hurt, Iowa loses that game.)

It is amazing to me that Iowa winning a game brings out posts like this one, criticizing those who have the gall to question Ferentz.
He (Ferentz) is supposed to be one of the elite coaches in the country. Losing to half *** programs like ISU and assorted MAC teams should not be tolerated by Iowa fans. We could pay a helluva lot less to get those results.

Last edited:

Latest posts