Question: Do you sit CJ and Let Him Get Healthy?

No way can you afford to sit him. CJB at 50% is still the best option Iowa has. Besides, he sat last week and he still was hobbled. Iowa has a chance to have a special year. If we were 6-2, maybe starting wiegers could be justified. At home versus Purdue makes more sense than at Nebraska.

If able to start each game then CJ needs to start. Best case is that Iowa storms out to big leads in the remaining games and CJ can come out sometime midway through the 3rd qtr. TW needs to get as many snaps in practice as possible.

Why in the name of all that is real would you sit CJ at Nebraska??? If two weeks didn't make him better one more probably won't either. You are willing to risk a perfect 12-0 to get a weeks rest? Has to be a troll; Nebraska with Armstrong at qb in Lincoln will not be as easy as you all think.

Armstrong is sooo erratic. He can literally be brilliant one play and garbage the next.

If able to start each game then CJ needs to start. Best case is that Iowa storms out to big leads in the remaining games and CJ can come out sometime midway through the 3rd qtr. TW needs to get as many snaps in practice as possible.

In a world where we are good enough to storm to huge enough lead to sit CJ after halftime CJ probably isn't that hurt any longer.

In a world where we are good enough to storm to huge enough lead to sit CJ after halftime CJ probably isn't that hurt any longer.

I understand what you are saying but we were out to a 21 point lead at half yesterday and left points on the field. Indiana is scary because of the amount of points they can put on the board but their defense is porous at best. The remainder of the schedule is not filled with powerhouses and could allow Iowa to get off to strong starts. Call it naive or hopeful optimism, but if possible CJ needs to come out whenever possible to allow as much healing as possible before The Big 10 Championship.

Yeah, I think its clear that we need to get ready for next year because all the injuries and the media have ruined our chances this season. Wiegers SHOULD get the start on saturday, but the staff is always so loyal to the upperclassmen.

Yeah, I think its clear that we need to get ready for next year because all the injuries and the media have ruined our chances this season. Wiegers SHOULD get the start on saturday, but the staff is always so loyal to the upperclassmen.

A valiant effort.

I am beginning to think that CJB;s problems are more mental than physical. He looked like Joel Stave for the past couple weeks. I think the lack of pass protection is making him rush things and throw without getting his feet set, or staring down his first option in Vendeberg. I hope he can get these things straightened out but its tough.

Oh wow you can't be serious. Don't you dare play the "it's all in his head" card now. He has CLEARLY been in excrutiating pain for weeks now and that's what's affecting his play. Watch Colin Karpernick if you want to see a QB who's physically fine but been ruined by his own insecurities.

Why in the name of all that is real would you sit CJ at Nebraska??? If two weeks didn't make him better one more probably won't either. You are willing to risk a perfect 12-0 to get a weeks rest? Has to be a troll; Nebraska with Armstrong at qb in Lincoln will not be as easy as you all think.

While CJ is our best QB even when hobbled, a hobbled CJ will likely not be enough to win the B1G championship game. There will be a step up in competition. OTH, a healthy (or healthier) CJ will prove more than a handful for anybody in the country.

So remembering that the proposal to sit CJ at Nebraska is dependent on Iowa being 11-0 going into that game, rest of the rationale is as follows:
1. The Nebraska game is meaningless (imho) for a play-off spot. Beat an undefeated MSU or OSU in the championship game and Iowa is in.
2. If Iowa loses the B1G championship, however, Iowa is out of the running for play-off. Hence, this is the game Iowa really needs.
3. If an extra week healing before the B1G champioship gives CJ the ability to even extend 2-3 plays with his legs, it could be the difference leading to a win.
4. Wigs is a decent QB and won't lay down in Lincoln. So it's not like, Iowa is conceding this game.

Actually, as crazy as it sounds...I was just thinking the other day...IF we do win 3 more and are going into Lincoln at 11-0...the West has been won. Sure an undefeated season is nice...but the #1 goal is to win a Big Ten Championship...then let other chips fall where they may.

I think there is a legit case to be made to rest some key people during Nebraska week if that all plays out.

You guys are killing me. Maybe we should forfeit the Nebraska game to rest everyone. If we are 11-0 there's 0% chance anyone sits. Get up big and sit people.

He won't be right sitting out a game. His injury would need long rest to get to 100%. Not going to be this year.

So do you keep him out of one of the upcoming games and let him recover a little more, and if so which game?

I am not saying we will make the B1G Championship Game, however if we get to that game, we will NOT win with CJ in his current condition. What is one to do...?

True that about Armstrong..But we are for certain to get at least 2 INTs!

He won't be right sitting out a game. His injury would need long rest to get to 100%. Not going to be this year.

Ferentz said after yesterday’s assignment was completed against Maryland (really, kind of what that was, right?) that you’re probably not seeing naked rollouts and play-action moves from Beathard the rest of the season. You watched the ABC broadcast. Clearly, this was spilled in the production meeting. Ferentz said on the pregame radio that Beathard probably won’t be right until January.

11-0 and CJ plays for sure. We have a shot at a perfect season and the coaches are going to do everything they can to get it.

I am not saying we will make the B1G Championship Game, however if we get to that game, we will NOT win with CJ in his current condition. What is one to do...?

I don't think that's a fair statement. I think this team dictates to the opponent more than I can remember any other team in the ferentz era. Throw in a couple backs that hit the hole hard with speed...we aren't as one dimensional as we used to be even if we do have to be more one dimensional. Point being that a more limited cjb is less of a concern because of the other units..defense...special teams....skill players...being tremendous this year. This is a good TEAM indeed. Capable of beating OSU or Michigan state if we play a decent game. Neither of them will run us off the field. Preseason before anyone played a down you could assume that. Not now.

if you were going to sit CJ, then MD would have the game to do it. coming off a bye week, at home against a weak team.

No othe week was better than this last one.
Or after the end of the first half of the Maryland game when Iowa was ahead 21-0.
I guess the Iowa staff really doesn't have confidence in the backup.

It is the responsibility of the Iowa coaching staff to call plays that protect their wounded starting QB. Or pull him. Will irreparable damage lessen CJ's ability forever?

Last edited:
If we would have just ran the ball down their throat in the 1st half, instead of getting fancy with passing, we probably could have sat CJ the 4th quarter.
These thoughts just pizz me off. Maryland had 8-9 men in the box in the second half. No one was going to run well for Iowa in the second half. And Iowa's offensive line isn't that great. Think of something else for a change.

Last edited:

Latest posts