QBs hitting the transfer portal

Their issue ain't QB, it's that Harbaugh is exploiting a Big Ten flaw and relying on the weather to beat Ohio. Ohio is sitting there building their team to compete with Alabama and Michigan is still fighting the battle against the Big Ten and worrying about how to be good in dogshit weather, which is their only hope to beat Ohio. It ain't an accident that Ohio is always competitive in the playoff and Michigan has no idea what it's doing in big time games.
That is a very interesting point. As Bo Schembechler said, it you are going to win in the North Atlantic, you have to train in the North Atlantic.

It might also explain why Iowa is so good in November. Kirk prepares and builds his team and his style of play to win in November.

That is a very interesting point. As Bo Schembechler said, it you are going to win in the North Atlantic, you have to train in the North Atlantic.

It might also explain why Iowa is so good in November. Kirk prepares and builds his team and his style of play to win in November.

Of course it's all related. Iowa and historically Wisconsin have been insane in November because they have been built to have a 12th defender with the weather and they never really heavily relied on big play guys on the outside. The tradeoff is that you can get crushed against teams like Standford or Tennessee when they have some freak outlier and you don't get a weather assist to help stop that kid.

But seriously, watch Ohio State against the big dogs in the playoffs, they are right there with the best of the best. They don't always win, but even stacked Clemson and Alabama teams aren't blowing the doors off of them. Tressel, IMHO, was the perfect coach for Ohio State. He basically built them into two teams, one that could go trudge through a 16-13 dogfight against Wisconsin or Iowa played in a wind tunnel on a 41 degree day and one that could go hang with a stacked Miami team in the title game. The fans hated it, but he had the formula to excel in Big Ten play and still routinely be competitive against the elite southern teams (he got blown a few times when he couldn't block some of the southern d-linemen). Day doesn't have that, Day has a team that is only built for the playoffs. With the playoff going to 12 teams and the conference title game being played in a dome and open to OSU even if they lose to Michigan I think you're going to see their fortunes change tremendously and them to get even better on the outside, which is a scary thought.

It sucks, because I don't want to trash our players, but there are some guys that are just so bad that I cannot believe there isn't someone else on the depth chart with fewer years in the program that must be better. There's a point at which your play is just so bad that I think it's worth giving someone else unproven a chance to actually grow.
Hill, DeJong, Plumb, Padilla all jump to mind. Spencer's not on the list because we saw at least part of his backup Padilla and he was much worse.

What is so weird was Joe Klatt saying that the O-line was better when he was in the starting lineup. Klatt is a very good color analyst, but he was flat out wrong on that comment.
I think they were better with Elsbury at C though.

I don't think we'll be lucky enough for Hill to get in the portal too. Even though Labas is leaving I don't think we'll bring in a QB worthy of pushing Cade to be a starter via the portal. But if we lost 2 qbs then we'd have to think about it. Otherwise it'd just be a true soph that they didn't think was good enough to beat out Hill and a true freshman in Resar on the roster. How confident would we be with that considering Cade is damaged goods and who knows what we can expect out of him

I am ok with Cade coming back as the starter. I get it. The injury issue is real there. I am more adamant about backups. I like Deacon as a person who is giving us his best. But, I want him in the portal. Period. We need to rely on our next OC and the rest of the offensive staff to develop the top 2 young QB’s ASAP. Do not plan for Deacon as the #2. If we have to simplify the demands on our QB’s, for heavens‘ sake, do it. Admit our failures and move on.

Latest posts