Purdue observations

Yeah there's guys that have odd looking shots and can be good with it. There's guys like Kenny Smith. Michael Adams from back in the day who had some weird ways of releasing the ball from their hands. It's a touch thing as much as it is anything. I was a pretty good shooter as well and I often knew before it'd left my hand if it was going in sometimes. There's a flow to it in games where once you've shot a zillion of them you just know. Rey Allen Kyle Korver Steph Curry guys like that they don't even think about the mechanics anymore. It's just the grip and feel of the ball.

I feel that if what you're doing is way unorthodox and it doesn't work. Maybe try squaring up more. Shooting strait should be the easier part. You can coach a kid to aim at the front of the rim. It's getting the right arch and distance that's trickier. You just have to shoot a ton of times to get a feel for it and some have it more naturally then others.

And how a guy shoots around can be different then when in games which I suspect may be his larger issue. I bet in practice he hits them way way better then we think. In games he just looks discombobulated with it. Not even remotely confident or comfortable. It's one thing to be a reluctant shooter but you can't be getting to the point he is without it being an issue for the offense and team as a whole. That's what I'm worried about.

I started playing basketball late, in the 8th grade

I loved it when I started playing

I would shoot baskets in the driveway when it was below zero with gloves on

Every night in the Winter I used to walk to recreation at a junior high school about a mile away

I always was the last person picked for the games initially

I could play D very well, and they told me to stand in the corner

Near the end of the game when they needed a couple of threes

I made them every time

One time I was in Seattle visiting my brother

We went to a sports bar to watch the Hawks against Michigan

A game where Jesse Settles body slammed Ray Jackson to the floor

They had a half court in the middle of the bar

At halftime we went to shoot around

I made about 15/20 threes in a row

When the game came back on:

I wanted to sit down to watch, but my brother and nephew said
that I had to make one under the basket before leaving the court
I missed 4/5 in a row under the basket

Damn

My love for Keegan Murray keeps growing each game. I'm still in shock that he's contributing at all let alone playing very meaningful minutes. I thought for sure that the twins would redshirt the first year and were project players. But Keegan is far from a "project" player, he belongs.
I am trying to think of the last true freshman we had that played this well right out of the shute? I guess gotta almost consider him a redshirt freshman in which case it would be CJF last year. The talent level has definitely risen.

He has stud written all over himself. No fear from minute one. Imagine his stats if he got 20 minutes a game. I don't know whose minutes he needs to take, but the lad deserves to be on the floor more. Has all the tools in his box and knows how to use em!

My observations are that JoeT should start and Murray needs more minutes and maybe even start over Connor. These things will never happen. But that is what I think and believe.

I’m fine with the current rotation/starters. Playing time will vary and evolve. Foul trouble and/or illness and/or injuries are likely.

I wouldn’t mind seeing Ulis late if we’re getting fouled and sent to the line. He’s 13/14 on the year.

I guess Ohio State (rated) and Notre Dame are not very good either., since Purdue beat them both? Last night was a good win against a good team. Purdue will win their share of games this year.
I thought Purdue looked like crap until I found out they are one of the.better three point shooting teams out there.

When the threes aren’t falling for teams that depend a lot on the three it can make a huge difference.

Case in point is if our threes would have fallen two games ago we would be undefeated and the number team in college basketball. When I say falling I don’t mean unrealistic numbers, I am talking about just making our average percentage of threes per game.

While Murray has done great so far, etc. - he is a 20+ yr old freshman I believe.
Spent last year away from home playing Prep school competition, so different than your normal freshman.

See Wis lineup today v. Mich St. 7 players between 21-24 years old, does make a difference (much like Hawks this yr)

Latest posts