Purdue Head Coach Fired

If I was Purdue, I would try to get Mike Leach out of Pullman, Washington.
Les Miles is a pipe dream.

The problem with Purdue isn't all on Darrell Hazell.
They play in an old stadium. Nothing classic about it.
They are getting lights next year, which isn't a make-or-break.
Purdue is finally updating their football facilities.

It's tough to win at Purdue, when you have 2 other Power 5 schools in the state of Indiana, but they should go 6-6, 7-5, on average, every season, and they are far from that.

BUT, he was given 4 1/2 years to win and didn't. Many coaches get 3 years, maximum.

I've been to W Lafayette lurking around from a trip home from a conference. W Lafayette is the Ames of Indiana and I'm not kidding or trying to knock either. Just had the same feel to me.

I've been to W Lafayette lurking around from a trip home from a conference. W Lafayette is the Ames of Indiana and I'm not kidding or trying to knock either. Just had the same feel to me.

True, I went there in 2013 and just last weekend.
Nice campus, but the City of Lafayette, won't do it for most high school seniors looking at a university along with the local scene.

Oh wait. This thread was about Purdue firing its coach?

Kirk Ferentz is a respected coach by most in college football who's been an overall plus for Iowa Hawkeye football over the years. He's made his share of mistakes and we've lost a few we shouldn't have, but now the Purdue coach should be embarrassed because he lost a game to Ferentz and was fired?

I could understand if a struggling basketball team had lost to Lickliter and the coach was then fired, but Ferentz? Is it too much to ask for a modicum of perspective here?

Only 3 1/2. This was his 4th year.

If Purdue was even close to mediocre, Hazell probably would have gotten the same pass as Wilson got at Indiana. Wilson has not yet put together a winning season but hascome close and his teams are always interesting.

But Purdue was just simply awful and was showing no sign of improvement. I am still suprised Hazell was fired in mid-season.

To me Purdue firing him now is the school admitting they should have after last season. I mean what were their expectations this year? They have 3 wins now as much as they had last yr with more season to play. Granted they very well may lose out but again their path to any kind of 'successful' season was a pipe dream even before the season started so to fire him now is just admitting they never should have brought him back. The only shrewd thing about it I suppose is doing it in season gives them time to round up search committee and do all the back channeling communicating that goes on to see who may be interested in it at the end of the year. Doing it during the off season can probably be a tougher thing as far as competition goes for them. All that said it's still Purdue so good luck to them making any kind of splash hire.

And Fleck should run away from them as fast as possible. Don't be a gentleman and jog or fast walk. Run Fleck! Run!

No way. $$$$$$$ . I'll take that job. Set for life by signing on the line. Don't care if someone maybe a little better might want me. Purdue hasn't always been terrible. He signed up with Western Michigan. Get Purdue back to a bowl and say bye bye then. If you believe you are good enough, then he could do it.

I don't care what program we're talking about - COACHES MAKE A DIFFERENCE

Tiller at Purdue
Snyder at K-State
Mallory at Indiana
Fry at Iowa
Alvarez at Wisky
Dantonio at Michigan State
even Iowa State had its Earl Bruce

If you get the right coach, any program can march upwards and reach a goal.

Now finding the right coach ain't easy, if it were every team would be a winner. (wait, the math doesn't work with that, but u get my point). That's why ADs draw a paycheck. It's their job to find the right coach.

Last edited:
They should hire Matt Campbell. He is building an empire at ISU. They almost beat 2 Big 12 teams before peeing it away, and then lost to might 2-3 Texas by 3 touchdowns. Once he gets his system in place they are poised to challenge for bowl eligibility once in awhile! I bet he wishes he waited one more year to get a better opportunity.

To me Purdue firing him now is the school admitting they should have after last season. I mean what were their expectations this year? They have 3 wins now as much as they had last yr with more season to play. Granted they very well may lose out but again their path to any kind of 'successful' season was a pipe dream even before the season started so to fire him now is just admitting they never should have brought him back. The only shrewd thing about it I suppose is doing it in season gives them time to round up search committee and do all the back channeling communicating that goes on to see who may be interested in it at the end of the year. Doing it during the off season can probably be a tougher thing as far as competition goes for them. All that said it's still Purdue so good luck to them making any kind of splash hire.

The had a nice schedule, with no Michigan, Ohio State or Michigan State as crossover games.
The 50-7 blasting at Maryland didn't help.
The 35-7 halftime score against Iowa was the nail in the coffin.
Another factor was that attendance was average 37k last season, and this season was 32k, before homecoming vs. Iowa. The stadium holds 60k,

I still think Hazell got the word he was fired, during that timeout just before halftime.

If we had real LEADERSHIP in our athletic department then Barta would move fast to hire Fleck before Purdue can make a move for him. This is a once in a generation coaching talent on par with Harbaugh or Urban Meyer and we can't let this opportunity go to waste.

Kirk Ferentz is a respected coach by most in college football who's been an overall plus for Iowa Hawkeye football over the years. He's made his share of mistakes and we've lost a few we shouldn't have, but now the Purdue coach should be embarrassed because he lost a game to Ferentz and was fired?

I could understand if a struggling basketball team had lost to Lickliter and the coach was then fired, but Ferentz? Is it too much to ask for a modicum of perspective here?

In addition, Purdue would kill for a coach like Ferentz, I believe.

Neither nebby nor Purdue firing their coaches had anything to do with Iowa except their timing. Beating Iowa saves neither of their jobs.
Actually beating Iowa would've saved Hazell's job. You wouldn't fire hime with a winning record and back to back conference wins. So I completely disagree with that statement.

Purdue has only ever been good when they throw the ball around a lot. Next coach needs to be like Tiller. Flick is good at Western Michigan but his style does not fit Purdue. Schools due to talent, teams they play etc have a basic personality. Yes they can change but ultimately most stay true. If I was the AD I would look for someone like Brock Spack who had one of the top D's when he was DC at Purdue and now runs a wide open O at Illinois State. He built that into a good program when they used to be consistently bad. Coaches must understand and embrace the culture of the school or it usually doesn't work out.

Latest posts