Publication ranks Iowa 8th

99topdawg

DqnUZe5XQAEClQA.jpg:large

Excellent! A lot of reasons to be excited about this team. If people only knew that before they voted for Kirk in the coaches poll.

https://hawkeyenation.com/forum/threads/iowa-coaches-poll.83644/

What ever happened to the days of striving to become a national champ and doing whatever it took to get there? Yes it’s a rarity for it to happen for most football programs but to give up and just accept defeat is a defeatist mind set to say the least.

As you know there are some on here trying to hide under the guise of being TRUE HAWK FANS while taking the position of a defeatist. FEAR of failure is a terrible thing and affects most people in all aspects of life. In my profession there are thousands of employees who out of fear never attempt to get out of their comfort zones because applying for promotions would mean meeting the demands of that promotion. Not meeting those demands could cost them their jobs so they make a third of what I do and hide in the corner of their mundane jobs out of fear. First chance I got I dove right into the promotion process and have received three promotions over twenty years. Yes I am held to a high standard and if those standards are not met then I face demotion or termination. We should never give up hope to be national champs and never stop striving for that goal even if it means changes and replacing people.

It’s interesting when you think about being a true fan. Yes loyalty to your team is essential but that includes being loyal to the ultimate goals of striving at being the best or in this case of being a national champion. Twenty years is a long time and is enough time to determine if that goal is obtainable. Sure it’s a serious concern that we could slump into a bottom tier team in our conference but I can only speak for myself and say I am willing to take that chance. No guts no glory. That’s just me and the way I lived my life is proof of that. I am great full that God has greatly blessed me and my family because I had the courage to step out of my comfort zone. I don’t judge those who want to remain comfortable where they are in life or in their satisfaction of where the football program is. There are much worse things than following a 7-5 program and it does generate more appreciation when those 12-0, 11-1, or even 10-2 seasons occur. Don’t be judging me because I want more. I’m not asking for a national championship run every year but after over fifty years of being a Hawkeye fan it would be wonderful to wake up the next morning knowing that my loyalty finally paid off. I would love for it to be Kirk but f he can’t do it then let some one else give it a try.

What ever happened to the days of striving to become a national champ and doing whatever it took to get there? Yes it’s a rarity for it to happen for most football programs but to give up and just accept defeat is a defeatist mind set to say the least.

As you know there are some on here trying to hide under the guise of being TRUE HAWK FANS while taking the position of a defeatist. FEAR of failure is a terrible thing and affects most people in all aspects of life. In my profession there are thousands of employees who out of fear never attempt to get out of their comfort zones because applying for promotions would mean meeting the demands of that promotion. Not meeting those demands could cost them their jobs so they make a third of what I do and hide in the corner of their mundane jobs out of fear. First chance I got I dove right into the promotion process and have received three promotions over twenty years. Yes I am held to a high standard and if those standards are not met then I face demotion or termination. We should never give up hope to be national champs and never stop striving for that goal even if it means changes and replacing people.

It’s interesting when you think about being a true fan. Yes loyalty to your team is essential but that includes being loyal to the ultimate goals of striving at being the best or in this case of being a national champion. Twenty years is a long time and is enough time to determine if that goal is obtainable. Sure it’s a serious concern that we could slump into a bottom tier team in our conference but I can only speak for myself and say I am willing to take that chance. No guts no glory. That’s just me and the way I lived my life is proof of that. I am great full that God has greatly blessed me and my family because I had the courage to step out of my comfort zone. I don’t judge those who want to remain comfortable where they are in life or in their satisfaction of where the football program is. There are much worse things than following a 7-5 program and it does generate more appreciation when those 12-0, 11-1, or even 10-2 seasons occur. Don’t be judging me because I want more. I’m not asking for a national championship run every year but after over fifty years of being a Hawkeye fan it would be wonderful to wake up the next morning knowing that my loyalty finally paid off. I would love for it to be Kirk but f he can’t do it then let some one else give it a try.

You cant say you don't judge people when half of your posts on here are ripping on fans for being defeatists. What I don't understand about guys who say they wont accept mediocrity is what they think they are doing to change things. The only difference between you and I is posting style on a message board. Neither one of us are doing a damn thing to change the program.

Is there anyway when posting about womens hoops to preface it in the thread title?
You cant say you don't judge people when half of your posts on here are ripping on fans for being defeatists. What I don't understand about guys who say they wont accept mediocrity is what they think they are doing to change things. The only difference between you and I is posting style on a message board. Neither one of us are doing a damn thing to change the program.

Some what true unless we are buying tickets or donating to the program. So you bring up a good point. If what we post doesn’t mean anything then why bother? What’s it going to change?

Jon’s comments right after the game were also interesting. It’s just a game, the sun will come up tomorrow. All true statements but that could also be used as a very strong argument for making a coaching change. Since it really doesn’t matter then why no shoot for the moon and get a new coach. Repeat and rinse until we get the right guy.

The truth is they want it to matter in so much as to keep revenue coming in. It’s probably a relatively small percentage of fans that attend games. Most of the revenue is TV revenue and when the TVs are turned off and revenue starts to dramatically fall then it will matter. If enough fans wake up and see how futile things are as long as Barta is here then maybe that will help things change. Some people aren’t deep thinkers and can have their opinions swayed by others opinions. If enough people are swayed one way or the other then it could possibly start hurting revenue.

Sadly some thing has happened to the mindset of the Iowa people. People in Iowa seem to be in mindset of “whatever” when it comes to certain issues. Issues that twenty years ago would have had people up in arms. The spirit of indifference may be bleeding over into sports. May Jon is right it really isn’t important. Maybe just shut down Hawkeye nation since it’s meaningless and doesn’t affect anything.

I'm convinced the people do it on purpose.
Yeah most likely... It's annoying and most folks love to poke just to poke. Would rather their just be a womans forum all together for those that want to chat about it. I just hate it mixing in

Sadly some thing has happened to the mindset of the Iowa people. People in Iowa seem to be in mindset of “whatever” when it comes to certain issues. Issues that twenty years ago would have had people up in arms. The spirit of indifference may be bleeding over into sports. May Jon is right it really isn’t important. Maybe just shut down Hawkeye nation since it’s meaningless and doesn’t affect anything.

The older I get the more I realize my emotions or opinion does not matter...at...all. I want Iowa to win, it sucks when they lose, but what can I really do about it? What good does it do for me to be upset about it, or rage on the internet about it, or let it ruin my day? The answer is nothing.

Any indifference I might have comes from a reality that I have zero impact on the outcome of anything Hawkeye sports related. Everyone gets there eventually.

Since it really doesn’t matter then why no shoot for the moon and get a new coach. Repeat and rinse until we get the right guy.

How has this strategy worked over the last decade in football for schools like Nebraska, Illinois, Minnesota, Michigan, Purdue, Indiana, Iowa State and Tennessee? I agree if Fran doesn't produce results this year or next he has to be canned, but overreacting is also silly.

also, your tv revenue argument is not valid. Every Big Ten team splits tv revenue equally regardless of ratings for their games.

Some what true unless we are buying tickets or donating to the program. So you bring up a good point. If what we post doesn’t mean anything then why bother? What’s it going to change?

Jon’s comments right after the game were also interesting. It’s just a game, the sun will come up tomorrow. All true statements but that could also be used as a very strong argument for making a coaching change. Since it really doesn’t matter then why no shoot for the moon and get a new coach. Repeat and rinse until we get the right guy.

The truth is they want it to matter in so much as to keep revenue coming in. It’s probably a relatively small percentage of fans that attend games. Most of the revenue is TV revenue and when the TVs are turned off and revenue starts to dramatically fall then it will matter. If enough fans wake up and see how futile things are as long as Barta is here then maybe that will help things change. Some people aren’t deep thinkers and can have their opinions swayed by others opinions. If enough people are swayed one way or the other then it could possibly start hurting revenue.

This message board isn't meant to be a place where fans come to "get things done". It's meant for a place where fans can discuss sports for their own personal enjoyment.

There are those who have followed the Hawks for years and years and despite all, love the Hawkeyes win or lose. They become frustrated at times, of course, but bottom line, they are true Hawkeye fans and will watch every game no matter how good or bad they are. Some of us watched the LIck years every game, looking for improvement and supporting the team.....

When there are exceptional years like the Ralph Miller team with Downtown Freddie Brown and John Johnson who played together on some very good Seattle Supersonics teams. That team should have been National Champs but were screwed by the referees, scorekeepers and an imcompetent coaching staff who were not counting the fouls on Artis Gilmore, the A Train.....

Mr. Davis's first year was my favorite Hawkeye basketball team ever. They were really fun to watch and came within a hair of beating UNLV in Seattle. They had a shot of winning it all that year.....

In between years like those exceptional ones, I still love the Hawks and cheer them on and on. After Uthoff, Mike G and Woody moved on, I learned to really like the team that replaced them. Believe we had one starter from the previous year, Peter Jok. That became one of my favorite teams because they gradually got things together and started to win, coming within a bad call at Minnesota from making The Dance. Last year was extremely disappointing but I still watched, painfully, but still kept watching for improvement and saw them come together near the end of the season, winning the first round of the B1G tournament and taking Michigan to overtime. Michigan eventually made it to the championship game where they were pummeled by the Villanova Wildcats. I am really looking forward to seeing what the team can do this year.....

JoeW and Connor could help turn things around, along with the talent that succeeded two years ago with the help of Peter Jok. We certainly could have used him last season, now we have JoeW to pose a legitimate threat from the perimeter with Connor running the show. We shall see, and I again will be watching every game with blinders off, and hope on.....

:cool:

Last edited:
Is there anyway when posting about womens hoops to preface it in the thread title?
No.

There would be no clicks with truth-in-advertising.

Notice the longest posts are NOT about women’s basketball.

But I hope they live up to S&S’s hype.

There are those who have followed the Hawks for years and years and despite all love the Hawkeyes win or lose. They become frustrated at times, of course, but bottom they are true Hawkeye fans and will watch every game no matter how good or bad they are. Some of us watched the LIck years every game, looking for improvement and supporting the team.....

When there are exceptional years like the Ralph Miller team with Downtown Freddie Brown and John Johnson who played together on some very good Seattle Supersonics teams. That team should have been National Champs but were screwed by the referees, scorekeepers and an imcompetent coaching staff who were not counting the fouls on Artis Gilmore, the A Train.....

Mr. Davis's first year was my favorite Hawkeye basketball team ever. They were really fun to watch and came within a hair of beating UNLV in Seattle. They had a shot of winning it all that year.....

In between years like those exceptional ones, I still love the Hawks and cheer them on and on. After Uthoff, Mike G and Woody moved on, I learned to really like the team that replaced them. Believe we had one starter from the previous year, Peter Jok. That became one of my favorite teams because they gradually got things together and started to win, coming within a bad call at Minnesota from making The Dance. Last year was extremely disappointing but I still watched, painfully, but still kept watching for improvement and saw them come together near the end of the season, winning the first round of the B1G tournament and taking Michigan to overtime. Michigan eventually made it to the championship game where they were pummeled by the Villanova Wildcats. I am really looking forward to seeing what the team can do this year.....

JoeW and Connor could help turn things around, along with the talent that exceeded two years ago with the help of Peter Jok. We certainly could have used him last season, now we have JoeW to pose a legitimate threat from the perimeter with Connor running the show. We shall see, and I again will be watching every game with blinders off, and hope on.....

:cool:

Yep that was not fun watching every game of Lick’s last season but a few of us were brave enough to have a game thread anyways.

Good Post by the way.

They refuse, just wait until the games start it gets really confusing. The guy on here that is big on womens sports says something about equal rights and blames it on Jon for not giving them their own forum section.

But this one is kinda funny, I thought it was mens also and talking about conference rank.