Publication ranks Iowa 8th

That's one spot ahead of Maryland, and tops in the Big 10! This team is ahead of the team at the beginning of Sam Logic's senior season. They have a great chance to win the conference.

When there are exceptional years like the Ralph Miller team with Downtown Freddie Brown and John Johnson who played together on some very good Seattle Supersonics teams. That team should have been National Champs but were screwed by the referees, scorekeepers and an imcompetent coaching staff who were not counting the fouls on Artis Gilmore, the A Train.....

Dang, every now and then Duke breaks out an "I'm pretty old" post! Was it the Civil War your dad was in?

( Just kidding man- no disrespect meant to you or your father Congrats to you on a good, long life!)

But, I need a clarification. That Miller team was a little before my time... 1970, I think? I'm sure Gilmore wasn't a Hawk. So he was part of knocking them out? I wanna say they lost to... San Francisco? Was he on that team?

But then again I could be wrong!
It was Jacksonville, who made the final four that year (one year after Drake made it)

Duke has the story. The version I was told was that the official scorer inadvertantly marked a foul charged on Artis Gilmore to Pembroke Burrows. So at halftime when a ref double checked the scorebook Gilmore was marked for three, not four fouls. When he committed another in the second half, he played the rest of the game with four when he should have been disqualified with five.

Didn’t they have to expand the lane after 1956 for Bill Russell? Had they not been so late it could have been different.

Dang, every now and then Duke breaks out an "I'm pretty old" post! Was it the Civil War your dad was in?

( Just kidding man- no disrespect meant to you or your father Congrats to you on a good, long life!)

But, I need a clarification. That Miller team was a little before my time... 1970, I think? I'm sure Gilmore wasn't a Hawk. So he was part of knocking them out? I wanna say they lost to... San Francisco? Was he on that team?

The team that lost to San Francisco with Bill Russell in the Championship game was in 1956. I was living in Philadelphia at the time.....

Ralph Miller's team 1969/70 was undefeated in the BigTen and lost to Jacksonville with Artiis Gilmore, the A Train who played with 5 fouls late in the game they won, 104-103. I believe they averaged over 100 points a game in the BigTen.....

Artis was an All American who played in the pros for many years.....

That same year Drake made it to the Elite Eight....

Downtown Freddy Brown and John Johnson both played on the Seattle Supersonics NBA Championship team in 1979......

Those were the Golden Years for the Hawkeye Basketball along with Mr. Davis's first year that made it to the Elite Eight in 1987.....

I never saw the Fifties team. Have just read about them. Luck of the draw, they just happened to play against Bill Russell who is considered the best center in NBA history.....

:cool:

The team that lost to San Francisco with Bill Russell in the Championship game was in 1956......

Ralph Miller's team 1969/70 was undefeated in the BigTen and lost to Jacksonville with Artiis Gilmore..

Downtown Freddy Brown and John Johnson both played on the Seattle Supersonics NBA Championship team in 1979...….

Ah, thanks. Good to know I didn't totally dream up an Iowa vs San Fran connection!

As I said, the '70 Miller team was a little before my time, but by '78-79 I was watching those back-to-back Sonics / Bullets finals. Elvin Hayes, Wes Unseld & co vs Gus Williams, Dennis Johnson, and the Hawkeye pair. Great games!