PTL Update 7/1

Really thought Olaseni had a nice game today. I think he had around 20 points and not sure of the boards or blocked shots.

Woody showed again that he has some development needed. Don't get me wrong because he is a good passer and moves well. Also, he has some basketball smarts. However, he shot around 30%, was not very strong with the ball, and did have a few rebounds. He will not be a starter for awhile and that is OK.

Basabe really looks fit and trim. He has a quick release on his jump shot and nice moves around the basket. He had 3-4 dunks in the game but has a terrific touch. I think he looks to be back to his freshman form. He isn't the hardest worker on defense and tries to block everything.

Marble had a nice game. He has really worked on a step back/fade away shot. It's impossible to block because how long he is. Marble is going to be a very nice player but he already was last year.

Gesell Now, this freshman will be a starter from day one. He is rock solid, a good shooter, unselfish, plays decent defense, and excellent ball skills. I'll be shocked if he doesn't threaten all the assist records. He can get to the basket and has a nice jump shot. Future star!

McCabe had an off game shooting but he is active on both ends of the court and is very smart. He's going to play a lot of minutes and could play at three positions although I see more 4 & 5.

Ogelsby (sp) really shot the ball well today and played well. He has a lot of confidence with his shot and is more than just a three point shooter. Made some tough shots on the move. He looks stronger and has good ball skills.

White We know what we have here. Future star.

Clemmons Good ball handler and decent defender. Not too sure how strong his offensive game is yet.

Myer He looked more active today and got a few baskets, rebounds, and blocks. He showed more than the previous game I saw but is still likely behind the other big guys.

Uthoff He is a smooth player and has a nice shot. Of Course, he won't be playing this year but he will contribute. He, too, is a smart player and decent ball skills. Could benefit from getting stronger and hopefully will use this year to accomplish that.

The best thing about this team is that White, Marble, Basabe, Gesell, and McCabe are all capable of scoring 20 points per game. Olaseni, Woody, McCabe, Myer, & Basabe all are capable of giving us improved post play although I think the starting lineup will be
Gesell, Marble, White, McCabe, & Basabe. We have great depth at most positions with Olaseni, Oglesby, and Woody all pushing to start. I don't remember that kind of depth for a long time.

I think Oglesby is a huge X factor for next season. If he can establish himself as a legitimate 25 minute Big 10 player, we are going to be impossible to stop offensively. He has great offensive skills. He is quicker, longer, better passer, and better ball-handler than your average knock-down shooter. I think he is a guy that could really score the ball if he develops (almost fall into 10 points per game with his shooting).

We would be so versatile with Gessel, Ogelsby, Marble, and White on the floor. All those guys can shoot from perimeter, dribble drive in the right situation, and pass the ball. Our floor spacing would be phenomenal. Plenty of room for cutters, or Marble to isolate, or let whatever post is playing to operate in the paint.

I think Oglesby is a huge X factor for next season. If he can establish himself as a legitimate 25 minute Big 10 player, we are going to be impossible to stop offensively. He has great offensive skills. He is quicker, longer, better passer, and better ball-handler than your average knock-down shooter. I think he is a guy that could really score the ball if he develops (almost fall into 10 points per game with his shooting).

We would be so versatile with Gessel, Ogelsby, Marble, and White on the floor. All those guys can shoot from perimeter, dribble drive in the right situation, and pass the ball. Our floor spacing would be phenomenal. Plenty of room for cutters, or Marble to isolate, or let whatever post is playing to operate in the paint.

amazing how having a good shooter opens up so many possibilities.

http://hawkeyedrive.com/2012/07/01/712012-ptl-notebook-marble-meyer-show-more-traits-to-their-games/

i wouldnt expect much out od olaseni during the yr.unless you are herby and think he is going to do things anthony davis couldnt do.

pg - gesell & clemmons
sg - ogelsby & ingram
sf - marble & may
pf - white & basabe & meyer
c - mccabe & woody & olaseni

lots of talent, lots of depth, but still young. if ogelsby cant play as a starter or at the end of games it will hurt as he is the only true shooter on the team. gesell and marble can hit shots but they are more of scorers. mccabe and white will knock shots down but they also have to be downlow banging so they cant be around the perimeter all the time. if jo isnt logging 25 min i will be surprised and hopefully a shooter emerges then.

Woody vs. Gabe Game:

Gabe displayed confidence in a 15 jump shot. He was also pretty active around the rim. Still a lot of questions about whether these attributes will transfer to the regular season. It is good to see him in the right position to get the ball and be active. That wasn't there last year.

Woody is struggling with obvious confidence issues right now. I'm guessing he's had his shot thrown in the stands a few times in practice right now, because he is rushing his delivery on his jump hook inside.
I'm not overly concerned, however, because he was getting quality looks against Gabe during 1 on 1 situations. He was just hesitating and not finishing. He'll always be a player that frustrates fans around the rim with some facepalm frustrating misses because of his lack of explosiveness, but he will start to finish many of these shots with more regularity as the game slows down and his confidence goes up.
Many posters have described him as a "good" passer. He has the potential to be a great passer. He had a tip pass to Josh for a 3, multiple kick outs, and his trademark finds to cutters.
I think it speaks volumes about Adam that his teammates feed him over and over. He makes things go for their team.

McCabe is McCabe. Nothing really new on display--he is a tough son of a gun.

Josh's shot looks great. I'm still concerned about the speed of his delivery. He can score in multiple ways during PTL, but will most likely rely on the spot up during the B1G. I like what I've read about him studying Matt Gatens release.

Marble took a lot of step back jump shots. It is a great shot for when the shot clock is running down. Not so much for the first 10 seconds of a possession. Very little to really look at from him--his team was dominant and he could afford to work on a variety of shots.

Mike vs. AC Game
Meyer will get more valuable experience with his new squad. His numbers are much improved, but a lot of that was of the garbage variety. This game had playground feel to it, and he benefited in spots.

Basabe looks explosive. Sick crossover in traffic for the finish. Face up J is there, but not convinced he has the dribble drive game to counter a defender not giving him space. Again, a lot of garage baskets at the rim. However, it hard to not picture him starting at least some of the time next year.

Mike G just has such a bounce to his game. He reminds me (brace yourself!) of Skip to My Lou Rafer Alston and Jason Williams the way he Yo Yos the ball up and down. It is hard not to get overly excited about him and his potential. Part of me wants to scream that the best thing Iowa ever had happen to them was Mike playing the 2 on his AAU team to keep him kind of a diamond in the rough (as much as a top 100 player can be). He can shoot, pass, change direction and attack the rim (he tried to dunk on 2 opponents at one point--it should be written without much success). Common sense says he won't be as good as Cartwright (the good BC) this year, but, man, this guy is just fun to watch.

White is just as fun to watch. He has a tremendous knack for cutting and moving without the ball. I think he'll be a rich man's Ryan Bowen when it is all said and done.

Anthony C is just really solid. I've been impressed with how he really is a true PG. Nothing very flashy (although he does have tremendous burst). He could have easily gotten out of sorts playing against Mike G. in a jousting match, but I thought he played his game. He won a few of the match ups with Mike G on the defensive end and got to the rim. In the future, he'll be a great option to play as a passing point with Mike G. running off of baseline screens as a shooting guard.

Last edited:
Woody vs. Gabe Game:

Gabe displayed confidence in a 15 jump shot. He was also pretty active around the rim. Still a lot of questions about whether these attributes will transfer to the regular season. It is good to see him in the right position to get the ball and be active. That wasn't there last year.

Woody is struggling with obvious confidence issues right now. I'm guessing he's had his shot thrown in the stands a few times in practice right now, because he is rushing his delivery on his jump hook inside.
I'm not overly concerned, however, because he was getting quality looks against Gabe during 1 on 1 situations. He was just hesitating and not finishing. He'll always be a player that frustrates fans around the rim with some facepalm frustrating misses because of his lack of explosiveness, but he will start to finish many of these shots with more regularity as the game slows down and his confidence goes up.
Many posters have described him as a "good" passer. He has the potential to be a great passer. He had a tip pass to Josh for a 3, multiple kick outs, and his trademark finds to cutters.
I think it speaks volumes about Adam that his teammates feed him over and over. He makes things go for their team.

McCabe is McCabe. Nothing really new on display--he is a tough son of a gun.

Josh's shot looks great. I'm still concerned about the speed of his delivery. He can score in multiple ways during PTL, but will most likely rely on the spot up during the B1G. I like what I've read about him studying Matt Gatens release.

Marble took a lot of step back jump shots. It is a great shot for when the shot clock is running down. Not so much for the first 10 seconds of a possession. Very little to really look at from him--his team was dominant and he could afford to work on a variety of shots.

Mike vs. AC Game
Meyer will get more valuable experience with his new squad. His numbers are much improved, but a lot of that was of the garbage variety. This game had playground feel to it, and he benefited in spots.

Basabe looks explosive. Sick crossover in traffic for the finish. Face up J is there, but not convinced he has the dribble drive game to counter a defender not giving him space. Again, a lot of garage baskets at the rim. However, it hard to not picture him starting at least some of the time next year.

Mike G just has such a bounce to his game. He reminds me (brace yourself!) of Skip to My Lou Rafer Alston and Jason Williams the way he Yo Yos the ball up and down. It is hard not to get overly excited about him and his potential. Part of me wants to scream that the best thing Iowa ever had happen to them was Mike playing the 2 on his AAU team to keep him kind of a diamond in the rough (as much as a top 100 player can be). He can shoot, pass, change direction and attack the rim (he tried to dunk on 2 opponents at one point--it should be written without much success). Common sense says he won't be as good as Cartwright (the good BC) this year, but, man, this guy is just fun to watch.

White is just as fun to watch. He has a tremendous knack for cutting and moving without the ball. I think he'll be a rich man's Ryan Bowen when it is all said and done.

Anthony C is just really solid. I've been impressed with how he really is a true PG. Nothing very flashy (although he does have tremendous burst). He could have easily gotten out of sorts playing against Mike G. in a jousting match, but I thought he played his game. He won a few of the match ups with Mike G on the defensive end and got to the rim. In the future, he'll be a great option to play as a passing point with Mike G. running off of baseline screens as a shooting guard.

Good stuff. I don't think Marble taking those step-back jumpers is a big deal right now. It's an aspect of his game that needs to be developed, which is what the PTL is really for. If he's still taking that shot early in the shot clock when the season starts, then you can be concerned.

Woody needs to stop playing like hes a small forward. Agree on development needed, but i get the feeling he needs to learn to be 'mean'. Not dirty but more aggressive inside.

Latest posts