PTL Quote

If Gesell doesn't get hurt he will be in the conversation of who Iowas best player was when the season is over. He will be to good not to impress. What should be interesting is what the speculation on who is Iowas best player the following year.

If Gesell is the best player on our team this year, then we are in trouble. That isn't speculation, that is fact. We would have to have at least two, or more, players regress from last year for that to happen... I am counting on everyone to improve.
I will speculate that MG is going to be a good player. Let's just hope MG is a very good player at the B1G level. Clemmons too.

Last edited:
If Gesell is the best player on our team this year, then we are in trouble. That isn't speculation, that is fact. We would have to have at least two, or more, players regress from last year for that to happen... I am counting on everyone to improve.
I will speculate that MG is going to be a good player. Let's just hope MG is a very good player at the B1G level. Clemmons too.

It isn't possible for Gesell to be better than them even if nobody regresses?

Okay I'll play. Randy Larson is anything but a clown. He knows his basketball. I think it's entirely possible that Gesell WILL be the best player on our team this year and that is taking nothing away from anybody on the team. BUT...it is pure speculation. If Mike Gesell is our best player this year, we will be playing in the NCAA tournament this year. Randy was giving his opinion and I think he might be right. We are going to be good this year. Not Kentucky good, but good.
Nice play, Baby.....

:)

How good would a player have to be coming out of high school for you not to be ****** off when somebody says he's Iowa's best player? Gesell can't help that he hasn't played a B10 game, and neither can Larson. But it's entirely possible that he's Iowa's best player. Marble and White have certainly proven that they're good players. Gesell is a mostly unknown quantity, but of course it's possible to assess some value to his ability. If it weren't, there would be no reason to scout HS games and coaches would just send out offers randomly, hoping that the commits would have the ability to compete in their conferences.
This is a very nice play also, in my opinion....

:D

Anything is possible. I am just going off what I have seen. Clemmons looked to be just as good as Gesell. Some say better.

I'm excited about Clemmons too. I'm happy to see some depth emerging at every position. Fran's main problem seems like it will be finding enough minutes to keep everyone happy, and from everything I've seen and heard, he seems to have the charisma to pull it off.

+1000. Gessel will not be our best player. Period.

If Gesell is the best player on our team this year, then we are in trouble. That isn't speculation, that is fact. We would have to have at least two, or more, players regress from last year for that to happen... I am counting on everyone to improve. I will speculate that MG is going to be a good player. Let's just hope MG is a very good player at the B1G level. Clemmons too.
1000. Gessel will not be our best player. Period.

how are you so sure? question mark

Most would probably say Basabe was the team's best player his freshman year, and the following year White, another freshman, was arguably the team's best player, although I'd go with Gatens that year. It's certainly not inconceivable for a freshman to be the team's best player, especially for a team on the rise.

Most would probably say Basabe was the team's best player his freshman year, and the following year White, another freshman, was arguably the team's best player, although I'd go with Gatens that year. It's certainly not inconceivable for a freshman to be the team's best player, especially for a team on the rise.

When a team is horrible, much like the Hawkeyes had been for the past several years or so, it's a lot easier for a Freshman to come in and be the best player on the team given the team is void of talent (Basabe, White, etc). When a team is showing promise and is no longer classified as "horrible", but rather could be called respectible if not "good" at times, it's a lot more difficult for a freshman to come in and be the best player, simply because in the case of the Hawkeyes, we now have 3-4 players who are very, very talented who in all probability are only going to get better. Not saying it can't happen, however, in this case, I don't see it happening. Not taking anything away from Gessel as he is indeed showing alot of promise. Guys like Marble, White, and possibly Basabe (I emphasize possibly) are simply to good. Bottom line is nobody knows how things are going to play out until the games are actually played.

Last edited:
Okay I'll play. Randy Larson is anything but a clown. He knows his basketball. I think it's entirely possible that Gesell WILL be the best player on our team this year and that is taking nothing away from anybody on the team. BUT...it is pure speculation. If Mike Gesell is our best player this year, we will be playing in the NCAA tournament this year. Randy was giving his opinion and I think he might be right. We are going to be good this year. Not Kentucky good, but good.

Agreed. Randy Larson is a lightning rod guy & a lot of guys dislike him because he's the consumate smartest guy in the room -- just ask him. He's as polarizing a personality as you're going to find.

However, he's also got a damn good basketball mind & has been around the game & Hawkeye program forever. He knows what he's talking about. And, not that it matters, but the guy is 60 years old & can still play...

I would just add that Randy is a guard & likes to manage the game when he plays...I would leave the possibility open that RL likes Gesell, in part, because MG plays the game the way Randy plays it. Guards see the game a certain way & RL's opinion of him may be a bit skewed by the fact that they often see themselves as indespensible game managers on the court.

I think we're all going to be pretty happy with Mike Gesell & leave it @ that...

Agreed. Randy Larson is a lightning rod guy & a lot of guys dislike him because he's the consumate smartest guy in the room -- just ask him. He's as polarizing a personality as you're going to find.

However, he's also got a damn good basketball mind & has been around the game & Hawkeye program forever. He knows what he's talking about. And, not that it matters, but the guy is 60 years old & can still play...

I would just add that Randy is a guard & likes to manage the game when he plays...I would leave the possibility open that RL likes Gesell, in part, because MG plays the game the way Randy plays it. Guards see the game a certain way & RL's opinion of him may be a bit skewed by the fact that they often see themselves as indespensible game managers on the court.

I think we're all going to be pretty happy with Mike Gesell & leave it @ that...
Mike Gesell will be our floor General, no doubt in my mind, Sarge.....

:)

Gessel is not going to be Iowas best player this year.

It is likely that he will eventually be the teams best player but Aaron White was the best player in the PTL and Jaryd Cole was the only guy even close so its hard for me to imagine what Larson is basing his thought process on.

That being said, Gessel may be the teams most important player.

White, Marble and Gessel are all going to be good. This team is going to be a conference contender by next year if not sooner once Woodbury, Olaseni, Utoff and Clemmons come into their own to go along with the three above.

This is going to be the best group of players Iowa has had since the Earl, Street, Barnes and Mosses days.

Gessel is not going to be Iowas best player this year.

It is likely that he will eventually be the teams best player but Aaron White was the best player in the PTL and Jaryd Cole was the only guy even close so its hard for me to imagine what Larson is basing his thought process on.

That being said, Gessel may be the teams most important player.

White, Marble and Gessel are all going to be good. This team is going to be a conference contender by next year if not sooner once Woodbury, Olaseni, Utoff and Clemmons come into their own to go along with the three above.

This is going to be the best group of players Iowa has had since the Earl, Street, Barnes and Mosses days.

Horner, Haluska, Hansen, Brunner and Thomas say hello.

Horner, Haluska, Hansen, Brunner and Thomas say hello.

They had one very good season when they were seniors and Adam was a jr, a great BTT, and a first round exit in the dance.

I think there is allot more potnetial with the current group. Fran has allot more players to work with and way more size.

When a team is horrible, much like the Hawkeyes had been for the past several years or so, it's a lot easier for a Freshman to come in and be the best player on the team given the team is void of talent (Basabe, White, etc). When a team is showing promise and is no longer classified as "horrible", but rather could be called respectible if not "good" at times, it's a lot more difficult for a freshman to come in and be the best player, simply because in the case of the Hawkeyes, we now have 3-4 players who are very, very talented who in all probability are only going to get better. Not saying it can't happen, however, in this case, I don't see it happening. Not taking anything away from Gessel as he is indeed showing alot of promise. Guys like Marble, White, and possibly Basabe (I emphasize possibly) are simply to good. Bottom line is nobody knows how things are going to play out until the games are actually played.

Gesell is also the highest-ranked recruit the Hawkeyes have landed since Pierce, if memory serves.

edit: besides Woodbury, who I don't really expect to step in and be a star right away.

Latest posts