PTL Quote

Larson most definitely is a clown. Not because of this quote but he has been for 20 years. Even if this quote is true he should've kept that to himself. completely disrespectful to upperclassmen.

Why do people have to care if the upperclassmen are disrespected? Plus, do you think they care if Larson said this. I'm sure each of the players has his known idea of how and where he fits, and I don't think confidence (other than May and Basabe) has been a problem with Fran's teams. I'm going to enjoy watching to see if Larson is right. And, he might just be right.

I don't see what Larsen said as being disrespectful to anyone on the team. Just his opinion, and I am fairly certain that Mike's teammates are not so fragile that this would disturb them and create turmoil on the team.....

Actually, after thinking about it, Aaron and Devyn are probably the best players on the team as far as I am concerned. Mike G has the potential to be one of the best players on the team this season.....

:)

i feel sorry for all the upperclassmen at kentucky then because they completely get disrespected every yr when they are told a frosh is the best player on the team.

anyone that thinks white or marble or any of the other players give a crap about that statement are wrong and it isnt disrespectful. it is one person's thoughts...whether he is right or wrong those upperclassmen wont care because it is about winning not who is the best player. if that is the cas why wouldnt that be disrespectful to clemmons who will compete for minutes with gesell? or to woodbury who was rated higher than gesell coming out of hs? this is a non-issue. the upperclassmen will probably give mg crap about it in the locker room and practice and when they are out together...it will become a team joke (most likely).

and if it ends up being true than this team will be better than anyone expected and i think every player including the upperclassmen will be fine with that.

Gesell is no slouch. It could be a statement the coaching staff wanted him to make to help with recruiting. Gesell is only a freshman, and they have a lot of promising freshmen. Good players want to play with good players. The statement has been put out there pretty good.

Gesell may be the best player on the team. It is possible for a freshman to be the team's best player. Having played a few conference games doesn't turn you into Superman. No amount of Big Ten experience was going to make Seth Gorney a better player than Tyler Smith going into Tyler's freshman year.

i feel sorry for all the upperclassmen at kentucky then because they completely get disrespected every yr when they are told a frosh is the best player on the team.

anyone that thinks white or marble or any of the other players give a crap about that statement are wrong and it isnt disrespectful. it is one person's thoughts...whether he is right or wrong those upperclassmen wont care because it is about winning not who is the best player. if that is the cas why wouldnt that be disrespectful to clemmons who will compete for minutes with gesell? or to woodbury who was rated higher than gesell coming out of hs? this is a non-issue. the upperclassmen will probably give mg crap about it in the locker room and practice and when they are out together...it will become a team joke (most likely).

and if it ends up being true than this team will be better than anyone expected and i think every player including the upperclassmen will be fine with that.

This is a flawed premise. What upperclassmen? :D

Seriously, though. Nobody is going to be offended by comments like this. And if they are, then we've got a serious problem anyway (and it wouldn't be Larsen's comment). Guys have to have WAY thicker skins at this level.

A comment can be disrespectful even if the upperclassmen don't feel disrespected by it. I'm not worried about the older players. Larsen is so full if ish that he has a bi-annual ear cleaning. He just likes to hear himself talk. He's in Websters under "jock sniffer".

i feel sorry for all the upperclassmen at kentucky then because they completely get disrespected every yr when they are told a frosh is the best player on the team.anyone that thinks white or marble or any of the other players give a crap about that statement are wrong and it isnt disrespectful. it is one person's thoughts...whether he is right or wrong those upperclassmen wont care because it is about winning not who is the best player. if that is the cas why wouldnt that be disrespectful to clemmons who will compete for minutes with gesell? or to woodbury who was rated higher than gesell coming out of hs? this is a non-issue. the upperclassmen will probably give mg crap about it in the locker room and practice and when they are out together...it will become a team joke (most likely).and if it ends up being true than this team will be better than anyone expected and i think every player including the upperclassmen will be fine with that.
This is a flawed premise. What upperclassmen? :DSeriously, though. Nobody is going to be offended by comments like this. And if they are, then we've got a serious problem anyway (and it wouldn't be Larsen's comment). Guys have to have WAY thicker skins at this level.

kentucky has like 4 or 5 upperclassmen...they are the ones in warm ups all game cheering for the guys on the court and sitting at the end of the bench...i think they are also there to raise the team gpa.

kentucky has like 4 or 5 upperclassmen...they are the ones in warm ups all game cheering for the guys on the court and sitting at the end of the bench...i think they are also there to raise the team gpa.

You mean they are the team GPA.

Gesell may be the best player on the team. It is possible for a freshman to be the team's best player. Having played a few conference games doesn't turn you into Superman. No amount of Big Ten experience was going to make Seth Gorney a better player than Tyler Smith going into Tyler's freshman year.

"Having played a few conference games doesn't turn you into Superman."

Really? Thanks for that brillian insight. But what "playing in a few conference games" DOES do is demonstrate whether or not you truly can play with the big boys of the BIG. Until that time? It's speculation. Pure speculation.

Really? Thanks for that brillian insight. But what "playing in a few conference games" DOES do is demonstrate whether or not you truly can play with the big boys of the BIG. Until that time? It's speculation. Pure speculation.

It's equally speculative to say Gesell ISN'T the best player on the team.

And how much weight does Larsen's opinion carry? None whatsoever. Who cares what he, or anyone else thinks? All any of us can do is speculate, and there's nothing wrong with doing it.

Well? It is.

"I think Gesell is going to be Iowa's best player this year."

"I don't think Gesell is going to be Iowa's best player this year."

Those are both speculative statements.

TM. My point is Gesell has ZERO body of work at the BIG level to compare anything to. Marble has 2 years. White has 1. What is so difficult to understand about that? We are comparing apples and oranges here. And don't misunderstand me as I am not saying Gesell doesnt appear to have a bright future as a Hawkeye. Im simply saying let's have this discussion after we see him in a number of conference games.

TM. My point is Gesell has ZERO body of work at the BIG level to compare anything to. Marble has 2 years. White has 1. What is so difficult to understand about that? We are comparing apples and oranges here. And don't misunderstand me as I am not saying Gesell doesnt appear to have a bright future as a Hawkeye. Im simply saying let's have this discussion after we see him in a number of conference games.

And Larsen is basing his "analysis" off of Gesell's high school films? No. He's basing it off of Gesell's performance in the same league as what Marble and White are also playing in.

I can understand disagreeing with the timing of Larsen's comment, but I don't understand why it's such a big deal to you that someone (who has ZERO standing within the program) says something like this. It's not even remotely a big deal, which is all anyone here has tried to tell you.

Okay I'll play. Randy Larson is anything but a clown. He knows his basketball. I think it's entirely possible that Gesell WILL be the best player on our team this year and that is taking nothing away from anybody on the team. BUT...it is pure speculation. If Mike Gesell is our best player this year, we will be playing in the NCAA tournament this year. Randy was giving his opinion and I think he might be right. We are going to be good this year. Not Kentucky good, but good.

How good would a player have to be coming out of high school for you not to be ****** off when somebody says he's Iowa's best player? Gesell can't help that he hasn't played a B10 game, and neither can Larson. But it's entirely possible that he's Iowa's best player. Marble and White have certainly proven that they're good players. Gesell is a mostly unknown quantity, but of course it's possible to assess some value to his ability. If it weren't, there would be no reason to scout HS games and coaches would just send out offers randomly, hoping that the commits would have the ability to compete in their conferences.