PTL Opening Nights Stats for Hawkeyes

42/82 (51.2%) on 3s... is that good?!?

But seriously would be pretty cool if we had two pick & pop 5 men in Garza and Kriener that can step back to the 3 point line. Sounds like Nunge can shoot it too. I still think Cook's range will be at best mid range this year, but that's okay, I think we want him near the basket.

Dominant big guys in a league like this should shoot a really high percentage from 2. I like seeing Kriener, Garza, and Nunge's 2 pt percentages. I don't like seeing Williams only attempting 9 shots.

Dominant big guys in a league like this should shoot a really high percentage from 2. I like seeing Kriener, Garza, and Nunge's 2 pt percentages. I don't like seeing Williams only attempting 9 shots.

I thought the same about Williams and it was only 6 it looks like. He should be attempting at least 5 3s a game in this league.

Saw a video of Uhl airballing a 3, so doesn't appear he's found his sophomore stroke just yet. I have to imagine himself and Wagner are doing a little bit of looking over there shoulders at the new bigs.

Couldn't tell by the vid but has Dailey packed on some weight and muscle to his frame? Seems like that's probably the one thing that would hold him back.

FREE-throws 18-33...this is not good. FREE-throws cost the hawks a couple games last year. Way to many good shooters on this team to be shooting 55%, this needs to be up in the 75-80% range.

Couldn't tell by the vid but has Dailey packed on some weight and muscle to his frame? Seems like that's probably the one thing that would hold him back.

I do not understand this concept of bulking up and/or adding weight. Today's game emphasizes movement, agility and athleticism. The game is so fast. Dailey can play as a long and lean player just fine as he is. The same 'adding muscle/weight' was said about Bear but slowing him down is counterproductive. He played just fine as a long and lean player last year. Weight gain and bulking up is an old fashioned concept in today's game.

I do not understand this concept of bulking up and/or adding weight. Today's game emphasizes movement, agility and athleticism. The game is so fast. Dailey can play as a long and lean player just fine as he is. The same 'adding muscle/weight' was said about Bear but slowing him down is counterproductive. He played just fine as a long and lean player last year. Weight gain and bulking up is an old fashioned concept in today's game.

This site has always been obsessed with guys needing to bulk up. The Uthoff hate because of his frame was legendary. He did bulk up a lot though over his career @ Iowa, but most of the posters on this site wanted him to eventually look like Wagner out there.

This site has always been obsessed with guys needing to bulk up. The Uthoff hate because of his frame was legendary. He did bulk up a lot though over his career @ Iowa, but most of the posters on this site wanted him to eventually look like Wagner out there.

Just because a kid is athletic doesn't mean he can't add some weight and muscle. It would help in that a player won't get pushed around and or give them the ability to move faster and shoot from a greater distance.

Just my 2¢ .. .. GO HAWKS!!!

Just because a kid is athletic doesn't mean he can't add some weight and muscle. It would help in that a player won't get pushed around and or give them the ability to move faster and shoot from a greater distance.

Just my 2¢ .. .. GO HAWKS!!!

Agreed. Strength and agility are not mutually exclusive. That's kind of a 1970s perspective. Done properly, strength training compliments and can even enhance quickness. There's a reason why every team does it.

I almost wanted a mulligan on my Dailey adding muscle question because it's really only been 3 months since we last saw him and you can only gain so much in 3 months.

I didn't mean he had to bulk up like a football player but adding some muscle and weight would allow him to not get pushed around as much and have a quicker shot and such, like a couple of others have pointed out.

He looked too thin last season to be considered a power 5 basketball player IMHO.

FREE-throws 18-33...this is not good. FREE-throws cost the hawks a couple games last year. Way to many good shooters on this team to be shooting 55%, this needs to be up in the 75-80% range.

I remember an article in SI back in the '80s comparing Larry Bird and Chris Dudley. The gist is that Larry Bird shot free throws and Chris Dudley shot foul shots. Hopefully as a team we shoot free throws and not foul shots.

Dailey was too thin to take on the rigors of the Big 10 defense. Way too much contact for a skinny player. Basketball players, while not needing to turn into O-line men, do need to bulk up in order to absorb the contact and still have the strength to finish.

Dailey was too thin to take on the rigors of the Big 10 defense. Way too much contact for a skinny player. Basketball players, while not needing to turn into O-line men, do need to bulk up in order to absorb the contact and still have the strength to finish.
And force opposing offensive players out of their game. Clemens was very good at that.

Article said Dailey grew an inch over the year and was asked to build muscle so wouldn't doubt it. Could he be the break out player?

Step away from the cliff for a bit, this is summer league. Not an excuse but I think often times they just don't concentrate on things like this like they should. Hopefully will be better in season play.

I wish Wagner would bulk that puny frame of his up.

What is impressive to me is we knew from last year that Kriener wasn't shy about his offensive abilities, and it appears that Nunge and Garza are not shy about it either. Kriener, Nunge, and Garza seem to all have the extra heartbeat to only get better and better. With all the talent in the front court and backcourt, it should make it a lot easier for Cook to have a great year.

All those bigs being able to shoot from deep will make it very hard to pack the lane. They will have to step out and guard the three and whoever is playing in the middle will have room to operate. A very good thing.

Latest posts