PSU players staying?

I have been saying all along that these sanctions will not hurt Penn State as much as many think. The students, fans, alumni, and the players will all rally around Penn State and are taking approach of being martyrs. Even with just 15 scholarships they will find enough talent to remain competitive. Every win they will celebrate like they beat the system. The only appropriate punishment in this case was the death penalty. Joe Paterno wins again, football is more important than life and the laws of the land. Even with no hope of post season play Penn State has already sold out.

Even with just 15 scholarships they will find enough talent to remain competitive. Every win they will celebrate like they beat the system.

They're not going to win many games. The bowl ban is really unnecessary, because they're not going to be eligible.

I have been saying all along that these sanctions will not hurt Penn State as much as many think. The students, fans, alumni, and the players will all rally around Penn State and are taking approach of being martyrs. Even with just 15 scholarships they will find enough talent to remain competitive. Every win they will celebrate like they beat the system. The only appropriate punishment in this case was the death penalty. Joe Paterno wins again, football is more important than life and the laws of the land. Even with no hope of post season play Penn State has already sold out.

I think you are really underestimating how hard it will be for them to recruit. What new recruit who has not put on the PSU uniform will want to commit 4 years to a school where he has no chance to win a conference or national title?

Will be interesting to see how it plays out but I think they are boned for a good 8 years+

They're not going to win many games. The bowl ban is really unnecessary, because they're not going to be eligible.

I think you are really underestimating how hard it will be for them to recruit. What new recruit who has not put on the PSU uniform will want to commit 4 years to a school where he has no chance to win a conference or national title?

Will be interesting to see how it plays out but I think they are boned for a good 8 years+

I hope both of you are right. I really want to be wrong on this but I would be shocked to see them lose many players. Remember these are student athletes that are part of a team and teams have been known to come together when it gets tough. Recruiting will be a challenge and they will have to be careful on who they use those scholarships on as they will not be able to afford to many misses. So instead of 4/5 star talent they may have to settle for 3 star talent.

This. The older guys who are already there will mostly stay, and some younger guys might, but recruiting new players is going to be an absolute btch. And they're going to suck, so recruiting will remain hard after the sanctions are lifted.

I hope both of you are right. I really want to be wrong on this but I would be shocked to see them lose many players. Remember these are student athletes that are part of a team and teams have been known to come together when it gets tough.

Star athletes have also been known to be selfish dicks.

If Penn State does rally together, gets a group of guys who are devoted to their school and each other, regains a sense of community through their football program, gives $60 million to child abuse charities, and wins some games even with an undermanned team, why is that a bad thing?

If Penn State does rally together, gets a group of guys who are devoted to their school and each other, regains a sense of community through their football program, gives $60 million to child abuse charities, and wins some games even with an undermanned team, why is that a bad thing?

Given Kurt's record of losing to craptacular teams, it could definitely be a bad thing for the Hawkeyes.

Only one recruiting class won't have the opportunity to play for a title, without redshirting. After that, ever recruiting class will be eligible to play in the post season at some point in their career.

If you're saying that won't have a realistic chance of winning a conference or national title, well that makes them no different than about 30-40 other BCS conference teams who never have a shot at winning anything significant. They'll take a step back and be in the bottom half of the B10 but they'll be back faster than most people expect. It's nowhere close to the death penalty.

I keep hearing radio guys say they can transfer at any point. But that seriously sounds crazy to me.

This should answer all your questions.

NCAA PSU player transfer options

They can leave up until the beginning of camp next summer without having to sit.

Also, this says teams under other sanctions cannot go over their scholarship limits. Which means, even if USC would pick up a player, they would not have the ability to go over the 75 that they are limited to.

My nephew who plays for uni (which makes him closer to the action than I) has said that word has it that a lot of the players are actually anxious to get out of there. he didnt elaborate nor provide any specifics. FWIW.
No offense, but how does this make him any closer? He plays for UNI, not Iowa, Michigan St., Ohio St., etc.

Dude, he's 22, i'm old and dont have the 5000 friend limit on facebook. players tend to run in a tighter circle than nonplayers; like I said fwiw.

However, he also threw out the Bleecher Report upset thing at me, to which I replied that they should probably just focus on Wisc for now.

You're correct, there won't be.
The over estimation of the severity of these sanctions is comical.

Check back in 2-3 years when they have no depth and no top recruits on board. Then you'll see the ultimate effect manifest and last for several more years.

One interesting question is this: How long is the contract of new coach Bill O'Brien? They're looking at a good 6-7 years before they can really begin to judge his effectiveness. That's quite a "free pass". And rather than taking over for a legend, he now has a pretty tough rebuilding job on his hands. Will he have the patience to stick it out that long?

Penn State football will not suck immediately. They may easily stay somewhat competitive for maybe two years or so, but they will undoubtedly and inevitably begin to suck and will become the re-headed stepchild (they like the gingers there) of the B1G.

I could not foresee many, if any seniors leaving the program. Its just too late in their athletic and academic careers to do so. They are close to nearing a degree from PSU and would have little time to reintegrate themselves into a new athletic and academic program at a new school. Plus, they have already been to bowls with PSU, have worn the colors for 3-4 years, have been through the battles with their comrades at PSU, and will now certainly circle the wagons with them.

Juniors would at least have some time to reestablish themselves at a new school, but they still have been through a lot at PSU and are going to have built up a deep sense of loyalty for PSU.

For now, the Sophomores, Freshmen and new recruits who have signed LOIs will be under a lot of external and intrinsic pressure from the coaches, upperclassmen and fellow students to remain loyal to PSU. Eventually, reality will crash down hard on them, but I think most will still remain at PSU, but I think the 2012 recruiting class will be the first to start bowing to the pressures and jumping ship in significant numbers.

The 2013 recruiting class and on is where PSU's eventual and inevitable suckitude will reside. Once a kid is there and has been a Nittany Lion it is hard to turn your back on your school at the time when it needs you most, but kids who have ties at all yet with the school, why in the world would they want to be a part of that?

Basically, the younger they get, the harder it will be to keep/attract them to PSU.

They will not be a bad team this fall, but it will happen eventually.

For now they are. Lets see when all of the emotion from "the whole us against the world" mentality wears off and they finally realize what they face. There will be a mass exodus at some point from Penn State.

They say that they're staying now...

Just wait until the first star junior/senior leaves for a different school. They'll all jump ship soon after, and the ones that remain will fight and bicker all season.

More of this:

Report: Penn State QB Matt McGloin suffers seizure after fight with teammate WR Curtis Drake - NCAA Football - Sporting News

Agreed. If Redd jumps to USC, which he really should if he wants to be a top draft pick, his departure could be the first domino to fall.

Dude, he's 22, i'm old and dont have the 5000 friend limit on facebook. players tend to run in a tighter circle than nonplayers; like I said fwiw.

However, he also threw out the Bleecher Report upset thing at me, to which I replied that they should probably just focus on Wisc for now.

So he's too young to know that Bleacher Report is pure crap?

Why would anyone want to stay? the articles that I read keep saying how alot of players have declared their allegance to penn st. And that they will tough it out and stay. GUYS!!! Theres nothing to play for!!! O'brians pitch to stay is only that they will get to play in a huge stadium and NFL exposure. You can get nfl exposure anywhere else besides PSU. Ya im probably speaking to soon, but why would any of those players want to stay and not compete for any type of championship?
Pardon me, but this is just a terrible, terrible attitude. And we judge other programs for their win-at-all-costs mentality? Of course there is something to play for-- actually, there are lots of things. They are called pride, community, the love of the game, the relationships you build, the fun of competition, the desire to improve and push yourself. That stuff doesn't all go out the window just because you don't get a chance to go to the Gaylord Hotels Music City Bowl. In fact, not worrying about all of that bowl crap might make the other stuff a little more meaningful.
So then put penn st in the independant conf. So they can play.for pride and desire and community and love all they want. The other teams actually are competing for a championship. All PSU is doing will be playing spoiler, adding an unneccesary loss to teams they beat.

half the teams in the big 10 never have a chance to play for a championship and their only job is to play spoiler. we were playing spoiler in 2008 when we gave psu an "unnecessary loss"

So for 3 days? Let's let things play out before we start patting ourselves on the back here Nostradamus.

Latest posts