Provin it

They would have been a lot better if freshman Louis King (#46 rated as a senior) had not been out and freshman Will Richardson had not been coming off an ankle injury. King is lost for the season, though, with a knee injury.
King is not out for the season. Slated to return in December

It's almost like they matured as they've aged, it's weird, cause that never happens and no one sees that coming. That and I think this team was really short handed and bad at the 1,2 and 3 last season and got some major upgrades. Jordan is good, but had NO help last year, this year, there are options galore with MD and CM. Dailey was not good enough last year, he just wasn't and Ellingson was a bust. I hope we see this keep working, time will tell.

It's funny and I hate to say it...but so far the "experts" and the national matrix makers know a hell of a lot more about Iowa than Iowa fans. Last season, they were picked to be bad and not make the tourney and Iowa fans were like "WHAR? WHAR IOWA...we're the best, don't you know?" - This season, the computers like us more and some national pundits are saying "Look out for Iowa, they might sneak in the dance" .... Jeff Goodman of ESPN picked Iowa to beat Oregon days ago....but Iowa fans are like "Hold my beer, I'm gonna tell you why we lose by 20"

I'll admit to being very down on the team but, let's be honest, the way they played against a couple of scrub teams didn't inspire a lot of hope that Iowa was going to be any better this year.

I say the jury is still out, Iowa caught Oregon at the right time last night. I think we would see a much different Oregon team had we played them in the middle or end of the season.

I'll admit to being very down on the team but, let's be honest, the way they played against a couple of scrub teams didn't inspire a lot of hope that Iowa was going to be any better this year.

I say the jury is still out, Iowa caught Oregon at the right time last night. I think we would see a much different Oregon team had we played them in the middle or end of the season.

Definitely several factors to this surprise upset. Oregon had to travel literally across the country. They are young and missing a talented scorer. It's also very early in the season. I believe Oregon will improve greatly as the season goes on.

None of those things changed the fact that Iowa won with effort. We worked our tail off on the glass and the hustle on defense was praise worthy after what we have seen defensively the last 2 years.

Further more I don't care if Oregon is top 20 or bottom 20. They are a P6 team with a top 5 recruiting class. We beat them on a neutral court. It's a great win any way you slice it. At the same time it still doesn't prove that we will be good, but you really can't ask for more out of the 3 games we have played. We won them all easily. I believe it is ok to let a little hope creep in. Keep it tempered though because this team will be tested frequently. The B1G looks like a murders row.

They would have been a lot better if freshman Louis King (#46 rated as a senior) had not been out and freshman Will Richardson had not been coming off an ankle injury. King is lost for the season, though, with a knee injury.
Maybe that’s why they were rated so high?

Definitely several factors to this surprise upset. Oregon had to travel literally across the country. They are young and missing a talented scorer. It's also very early in the season. I believe Oregon will improve greatly as the season goes on.

None of those things changed the fact that Iowa won with effort. We worked our tail off on the glass and the hustle on defense was praise worthy after what we have seen defensively the last 2 years.

Further more I don't care if Oregon is top 20 or bottom 20. They are a P6 team with a top 5 recruiting class. We beat them on a neutral court. It's a great win any way you slice it. At the same time it still doesn't prove that we will be good, but you really can't ask for more out of the 3 games we have played. We won them all easily. I believe it is ok to let a little hope creep in. Keep it tempered though because this team will be tested frequently. The B1G looks like a murders row.

100% - I think there's factors that went into Iowa winning last night ...but it was nice to see the team control the game down the stretch, very much similarly how they did in the first 2 games and the lineup's were very similar. Moss seems to get the start because he can come out firing and light it up if he's hot, then if he cools down, we have a different wrinkle to show. I wish Baer did not have the green light for 3's, he could shoot us out of a lot games and I think he did last season early on.

I'm curious if this makes something click ya know? Like, the coaches have been preaching defense defense defense and to get a win like they did last night, has to feel great and even more, has to create some "buy in" for the coaches.

100% - I think there's factors that went into Iowa winning last night ...but it was nice to see the team control the game down the stretch, very much similarly how they did in the first 2 games and the lineup's were very similar. Moss seems to get the start because he can come out firing and light it up if he's hot, then if he cools down, we have a different wrinkle to show. I wish Baer did not have the green light for 3's, he could shoot us out of a lot games and I think he did last season early on.

I'm curious if this makes something click ya know? Like, the coaches have been preaching defense defense defense and to get a win like they did last night, has to feel great and even more, has to create some "buy in" for the coaches.
It’s almost like the defense is willing Baer to shoot it. Then he panics and just fires it. He knows he needs to have better shot selection (I think?). Kriener needs better shot selection as well. Just because you can make an occasional 3 doesn’t give you the right to launch one early in the shot clock, especially if you’re a 5 man.

It was kind of a weird game. We made 10 3s and had 8 different guys make one which was a surprise, but we didn’t shoot that high of a percentage. Our 2pt % was even worse. This team hasn’t hit their stride yet offensively but we know that they are capable on that end.

And they would get a much different Hawkeyes team too. We are still working out bugs too.

It’s almost like the defense is willing Baer to shoot it. Then he panics and just fires it. He knows he needs to have better shot selection (I think?). Kriener needs better shot selection as well. Just because you can make an occasional 3 doesn’t give you the right to launch one early in the shot clock, especially if you’re a 5 man.

It was kind of a weird game. We made 10 3s and had 8 different guys make one which was a surprise, but we didn’t shoot that high of a percentage. Our 2pt % was even worse. This team hasn’t hit their stride yet offensively but we know that they are capable on that end.

Yes that is actually one of the encouraging things. We are winning without our offense firing on all cylinders. We have not seen that in 2 years.

Weird game indeed.

1st half the Hawks shot 48.4% from the field and 47.4% from 3.

2nd half the Hawks shot 19.0% from the field and 16.7% from 3. Also had 8 turnovers to just 3 by Oregon.

You see that 2nd half stat line and no way anybody thinks the Hawks pulled that one out. Thankfully rebounds and FTs saved the day.

Weird game indeed.

2nd half the Hawks shot 19.0% from the field and 16.7% from 3. Also had 8 turnovers to just 3 by Oregon.

You see that 2nd half stat line and no way anybody thinks the Hawks pulled that one out. Thankfully rebounds and FTs saved the day.

Defense, rebounds and free throws saved the day. If this game were last year, it's a double digit loss.

Weird game indeed.

And they would get a much different Hawkeyes team too. We are still working out bugs too.

Sure but there are a LOT more bugs to be worked out when your lineup is made up of mostly freshman and sophomores. There is a lot of young talent on that Oregon team.

FWIW - Oregon is shooting ~49%, Bol has scored 24 pts, and they are ahead by 17 with about 4 minutes left in the game. So props to Garza and Kriener on their defense.

Big LMAO. Maybe other teams just can't hang with the Ethiopian giant.

Uconn shot 57% from 3 vs Cuse and 17% from 3 vs Iowa. Iowa's defense has frustrated two very athletic teams on consecutive nights.