Provin it

Uconn proved they can shoot over zone, tomorrow is gonna be a tough one.

Uconn was 12-21 from 3 yesterday. Uconn isn't going to finish the season at 57% from 3 point land, maybe tonight is when that come back to earth and they shoot 4-21 from 3.

Apparently you know more than the PAC12 coaches and media who picked them as preseason conference champs to go along with their current ranking. Maybe just maybe Iowa made them look bad tonight. Nah, it couldn’t be that???
Most of their roster is brand new kids straight from high school. These aren’t like duke or Kentucky freshman either. No way they should have picked to win the conference. Unless the conference is supposed to be down?

Not sure why everyone thinks that Oregon is gonna suck because of one early season game. Sure they didn't look good, but they have a very talented roster, and like I said it is one game.
Because it can’t be that Iowa played well and won a tough game against a tough team, it has to be because OR is bad and over rated. No credit for wins, that’s no fun. We count it against Fran, the players and the program for every single loss, but when Iowa wins it’s because we still suck but the other team was worse. That’s the rules here

Most of their roster is brand new kids straight from high school. These aren’t like duke or Kentucky freshman either. No way they should have picked to win the conference. Unless the conference is supposed to be down?

Your right, this class was only the 3rd rated class, well behind the Dukes and Kentuckys. The year prior was even worse 13th. Then the year prior had who the announcers last night called "the best player in the PAC12".

Not to mention two (one did not play) of those kids that are straight from High School this year are going to be straight to the NBA at the end of this year.

Because it can’t be that Iowa played well and won a tough game against a tough team, it has to be because OR is bad and over rated. No credit for wins, that’s no fun. We count it against Fran, the players and the program for every single loss, but when Iowa wins it’s because we still suck but the other team was worse. That’s the rules here

Yeah, I'm not super high on Fran, but I don't get why posters here do that. Oregon was athletic and talented, that was easy to see. Iowa frustrated them, their press didn't affect Iowa, and they just couldn't get it going offensively. Iowa played good defense and Oregon didn't know how to respond.

Is Oregon great? IDK, but it wouldn't shock me to see them do well with that kind of young talent and athleticism. It also wouldn't shock me to see them finish middle of the pack in the Pac12, but still be a NCAA team. Either way Iowa played well defensively last night, and that is very important to the success this year for this team.

Yeah, I'm not super high on Fran, but I don't get why posters here do that. Oregon was athletic and talented, that was easy to see. Iowa frustrated them, their press didn't affect Iowa, and they just couldn't get it going offensively. Iowa played good defense and Oregon didn't know how to respond.

Is Oregon great? IDK, but it wouldn't shock me to see them do well with that kind of young talent and athleticism. It also wouldn't shock me to see them finish middle of the pack in the Pac12, but still be a NCAA team. Either way Iowa played well defensively last night, and that is very important to the success this year for this team.

I’ll be shocked if they aren’t a NCAA team and they likely are going to be a high seed. Iowa caught a young and unseasoned team, early in the year and the Hawks had a lot experience on the floor and capitalized. They were up for it. That happens a lot in CBB, but outside of a couple teams, that might have been the most talented team Iowa will see all season. I’m not ready to anoint this Iowa team yet, but I hate that it’s so hard for some to give them credit when they deserve it. They deserve it.

Ok, so I am in total prove it to me mode with Iowa BB this year. Nice win, unexpected win really. Lets see if the Hawks can take this win and build on it. The defense was much improved tonight, but we still just have way too many silly turnovers. The crazy thing is we didn't turn it over when they were pressuring at the end like crazy, but did earlier in the game. After hitting 8 3's in the first half, Iowa cooled off considerably in the second half, but were nearly flawless from the free throw line.

With the tough early schedule, we should know what kind of team we have in the next 3 weeks. So far Iowa is 1-0 vs the 6 P6 teams they are facing in the next 3 weeks.
I thought they played great. The defense was outstanding. They were engaged and moving with the ball. I couldn't believe they actually extended that zone and were still active enough to play it well. If they play with that level of intensity every night, they'll win more games than they lose.

Your analysis is terrible, that recruiting class they brought in is right up there with the blue bloods. Bol is legit, he needs to add some strength. Oregon might be over rated at this point but that young team will look much different by the end of the year and the Pac12 is not anything special. They will be a tournament team and, possibly, a top 25 team by the end of the year.

Oregon is a very good team. Iowa played very hard last night, with great emotion. Did you see the bench react when Iowa went on a run? This team is more united, with a smaller rotation.

Didn't see that tenacity much last year.

Iowa beat a ranked team on a neutral court. And Iowa is 3-0. I think 3-0 is the best we can do after 3 games. I'll take it. I think there's a decent chance we will be 4-0 after tonight. But I won't be down on this team if we're 3-1.

As for last night and tonight...

UConn got 10 players into the game. But five of their players played 38, 32, 30, 29 and 28 minutes. They're young and all of that. But it can make a difference.

Iowa also played 10. But our heaviest minutes were 34, 28, 27, 26 and 19. And four of the other five played between 11 and 19 minutes. It will be interesting to see if our 9 player balanced rotation is a factor.

And I don't see Wieskamp and Baer going a combined 2 for 14 again tonight. I would also suspect Cook, Moss, McCaffery and Dailey will be better than 7 for 18. Continue to hustle and go from 15 to 10 TOs and Iowa is likely 4-0.

Oregon is a very good team. Iowa played very hard last night, with great emotion. Did you see the bench react when Iowa went on a run? This team is more united, with a smaller rotation.

Didn't see that tenacity much last year.

It's almost like they matured as they've aged, it's weird, cause that never happens and no one sees that coming. That and I think this team was really short handed and bad at the 1,2 and 3 last season and got some major upgrades. Jordan is good, but had NO help last year, this year, there are options galore with MD and CM. Dailey was not good enough last year, he just wasn't and Ellingson was a bust. I hope we see this keep working, time will tell.

It's funny and I hate to say it...but so far the "experts" and the national matrix makers know a hell of a lot more about Iowa than Iowa fans. Last season, they were picked to be bad and not make the tourney and Iowa fans were like "WHAR? WHAR IOWA...we're the best, don't you know?" - This season, the computers like us more and some national pundits are saying "Look out for Iowa, they might sneak in the dance" .... Jeff Goodman of ESPN picked Iowa to beat Oregon days ago....but Iowa fans are like "Hold my beer, I'm gonna tell you why we lose by 20"

The thing I like about it is Iowa didn’t play their best game either. JBo 1/6 on 3s, most of those were wide open ones, how often do we see that? We were in serious foul trouble in the first half and playing a walk on minutes. We can also improve from that performance.

I agree Oregon looked kind of crappy, but let’s hope when they get King back they have a really good season and this win will be a high quality non conference win for the hawks.

It's almost like they matured as they've aged, it's weird, cause that never happens and no one sees that coming. That and I think this team was really short handed and bad at the 1,2 and 3 last season and got some major upgrades. Jordan is good, but had NO help last year, this year, there are options galore with MD and CM. Dailey was not good enough last year, he just wasn't and Ellingson was a bust. I hope we see this keep working, time will tell.

It's funny and I hate to say it...but so far the "experts" and the national matrix makers know a hell of a lot more about Iowa than Iowa fans. Last season, they were picked to be bad and not make the tourney and Iowa fans were like "WHAR? WHAR IOWA...we're the best, don't you know?" - This season, the computers like us more and some national pundits are saying "Look out for Iowa, they might sneak in the dance" .... Jeff Goodman of ESPN picked Iowa to beat Oregon days ago....but Iowa fans are like "Hold my beer, I'm gonna tell you why we lose by 20"
We looked more mature last night for certain. It’s still a very long season and we don’t know for certain what Iowa or Oregon for that matter will be this year. Either way it was a great win.

The problem with these boards and it’s the same on the football board is one win and we instantly make sweeping statements about the team going forward (I’m not saying you are doing this). The good thing is we get right back out there tonight, hopefully the hawks will play solid again but even if they don’t I think most of us would have taken 1-1 in this tournament.

It was nice win . Oregon won’t finish the year in the top 25 and I doubt they make the dance . They will struggle in conference play .
They are pre-season PAC favorites.

So that’s going to be quite the fall.
I think just the opposite will happen. They’ll get better. Especially if BolBol decides to get in shape.

Good win by Hawks! Nobody gave them a chance except for espn predictor. Most thought it would be a blowout.

Too many turnovers and not good shooting but good, hustling defense. Would not let the Ducks close.

Hawks made the Ducks look bad. They have a lot of underclassmen on the team and the Hawks experience showed. We also played many players and no matter which combination of players, we kept the lead throughout the game.....

Bol looked tired throughout the game. We wore the big man down.....

Vegas must have known something that we failed to see.....

:cool:
They usually do . . . It’s uncanny sometimes

Garza had the quietest 12 points I’ve ever seen.

Cook was aggressive and probably too much so at points because he had some stupid turnovers, but I liked that he was hitting the glass hard. Still needs to get down in the post a little more than we saw tonight.

Bohannon still shaking off some of the rust from injury but he was solid. We did play some man to begin both halfs and he looked decent on defense. The shot will come, we know that.

Weiskamp had a tough night, but he’s level headed out there and plays with confidence. Great learning experience for him.

Moss played well in limited minutes.

Kriener played really well and used his added strength to push Bol Bol around.

Connor played very well and I was impressed. I’ve had my doubts on him but he does appear to settle Iowa down a bit.

Everyone contributed. Shout out to Riley Till who gave us some quality minutes as well.
Garzas 3 pointer with like 3 mins or so to go seemed like a back breaker of sorts. If he missed that and they come back and score momentum may have shifted to a tighter ending than it was. He played tough down low and Kreiner holy cow that was really fun to watch him. That was Bols 'welcome to D1' moment. He didn't seem to be 100% for whatever reason but our bigs pushed him around and frustrated him. It was a team win in every way. If we keep hitting free throws and can limit our TOs we can be a tough out I think

Great win and pretty good stat line (especially the rebounding and free throw shooting...some "fundamentals" type stats). Turnovers were still high, but I'm resigned to the fact that it's always gonna be that way under Fran. His style of ball looks so frantic and unsettled...even when they're winning...that I think it comes with the design.

We looked more mature last night for certain. It’s still a very long season and we don’t know for certain what Iowa or Oregon for that matter will be this year. Either way it was a great win.

The problem with these boards and it’s the same on the football board is one win and we instantly make sweeping statements about the team going forward (I’m not saying you are doing this). The good thing is we get right back out there tonight, hopefully the hawks will play solid again but even if they don’t I think most of us would have taken 1-1 in this tournament.

I agree - I try not to over react - good or bad after a big win or disappointing loss. I wasn't going to make any sweeping accusations about this team last night win or lose, but the additions and subtractions from this team from last are noticeable through 3 games imo - but I am also a little hesitant because I think Iowa caught a good team at the right time, but really, that's kind of how it works with sports.

It was nice win . Oregon won’t finish the year in the top 25 and I doubt they make the dance . They will struggle in conference play .

They would have been a lot better if freshman Louis King (#46 rated as a senior) had not been out and freshman Will Richardson had not been coming off an ankle injury. King is lost for the season, though, with a knee injury.

Latest posts